When a terrorist dies, is it OK to gloat? (AP)

Morally repugnant??????? (B.S.)

I was one of those who thought this act was childish and morally repugnant. Therefore why is it any different when we kill one of their's?

While gloating may be childish, I don't subscribe to your assertion that it is morally repugnant to gloat when a terrorist gets what he deserves. What IS morally repugnant, is targetting innocent men, women and children (often their own countrymen), for death. That is what terrorists do - target the innocents who often can't fight back - who don't even see an attack coming and couldn't react fast enough to keep death away (even when they see it coming).

You can quote all sorts of comments about one death diminishing us all .. however, in the case of a terrorist's death ... it is blatant bullsh!t. I have seen what is left after terrorists have killed every member of a village (because they were helping us) .. so, don't tell me it is morraly repugnant to gloat when another cowardly terrorist gets exactly what he deserves. In an ideal society, terrorists would be placed upon the rack of pain and receive the same kind of pain he/she dealt out to others. Of course, this is NOT that society and the best thing that can happen, is for every terrorist to get the death they deserve.

You can call me childish or call me a child every other day and I will continue to celebrate their deaths.

I WILL BE PERFECTLY HAPPY TO GLOAT AND CELEBRATE THEIR DEATHS ... every day and twice on Sundays.

Justice for the innocent makes that assertion absolutely moot.

There is absolutely NO celebration that is over the top when a butcher like Osama Bin Laden receives bullet justice.

I think I will disagree (well some one has to for a discussion to work), it is ok to be happy and relieved that a very dangerous man is no longer in commission however gloating about anyone's death is wrong.

To try and create perspective when Sept 11 occurred there were several "spontaneous" celebrations around the Arab world, do you see their actions as acceptable given that they see you the way you see Bin Laden?

I am not going to argue that the guy doesn't deserve his end because he should have been dead 11 years ago and the world would have been a better place, but gloating is wrong.

Last edited:
Just another one down for me.
Guess it's OK to gloat-free country and all.
Sad thing to me is that 99% of those jumping around never had the character to ever put on a uniform and make a personal effort in the WOT.
Looked pretty stupid.

<BELLS> <WHISTLES> <WHIRLING PARTY FAVORS> <CHOIRS SINGING> <PATRIOTIC SONGS> <HORNS BLOWING>

ANOTHER TERRORIST IS DEAD .......... HOOOORAY .... HOOOORAY... HOOOOORAY.

How many different ways do I have to list to show you how I feel, before you get where I personally am coming from??? I tried to make this (and other threads), as impersonal as I possibly could ... ONLY TO FAIL. If you have ever entered a village where terrorist forces had just killed every man, woman and child (including the babies), then you have some idea of where I am coming from.

You ask how that has anything to do with celebrating the death of a terrorist and I say to you:

IF I DON'T CELEBRATE THE DEATH OF A TERRORIST WHO WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DEATH OF INNOCENTS, THEN WHO WILL??? THE DEAD ARE NO LONGER AROUND TO POINT THEIR FINGERS AT THOSE WHO ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR DEATHS AND WE ARE THE ONLY HOPE THAT JUSTICE WILL EVER BE SERVED,

IT IS UP TO THE LIVING TO SEEK JUSTICE FOR THOSE WHO WERE KILLED AND THEN CELEBRATE WHEN JUSTICE IS SERVED THROUGH THE TERRORIST'S DEATH.. IT TRULY IS A CASE OF AN EYE-FOR-AN-EYE. BESIDES ... IT IS THE ONLY JUSTICE THAT WILL EVER COME CLOSE TO BALANCING THE SCALES.

My feelings are still strong ... even after all these years. As far as the War on Terror, I had retired by the time of 9/11 but, I think my early service qualifies me in a unique way (Vietnam).

After awhile, even terror loses it's power.

Last edited:
Probably the only thing I find more childish than gloating, is someone trying to push other people's buttons, and placing half their post in capitals.

I've got news for you chiefy, "It don't work".
(1) I'm a wakeup to your "button pushing" attempts.
(2) I've been yelled at by experts, (they had no better result than you will)
So,.... with you having been a Vietnam veteran, or not, I'm still going to have my say, no amount of "yelling" or multicoloured text will make the slightest difference. Sorry,...

P.S. You may be the forum's "Grumpy Old Man", but I'm The forum's "Determined (or Pig headed, read it as you wish) Old Fart".:wink:

Last edited:
Chief Bones;600219... [I said:
.[/I]
"After awhile, even terror loses it's power".

The 2 latest posts (Chief Bones and Seno) impress me, style and attitude.

And Chief- I think that your above quote is the punch-line of this thread. In a nut-shell.:bravo:

Uh, let's find out what "gloat" means [Miriam-Webster]
to observe or think about something with triumphant and often malicious satisfaction, gratification, or delight <gloat over an enemy's misfortune.
akin to Middle English glouten to scowl and perhaps to Old Norse glotta to grin scornfully

Now, if some piece of garbage gets offed, what on earth is wrong about being more than happy about it?
The only thing that bothers me about this is the way the Obuma admin is handling it!!!:firedevi:
It's as if he's the hero of this whole thing. I read [and posted somewhere] a piece about how His Highness was NOT the one to say "Go!" but Panetta. That seems to fit.:x

Probably the only thing I find more childish than gloating, is someone trying to push other people's buttons, and placing half their post in capitals. ..........:wink:

You can howl at the moon and drag your bum on the ground for all I care ..... or dance in a field wearing a pink pair of tights.

When I make a post (especially an 'opinion' post), I ONLY speak for myself. I don't do it just to push anyone's buttons. If you haven't figured out that one for yourself, then you are not as smart as you try to make out to be. I choose to post as I do .. because it appears that some people don't get it. When I find myself trying to push an idea through someone's rock head and they don't get it, then sometimes it is necessary to use a bigger hammer (which is what caps and color are to me ... a large hammer).

BTW ... if I take something that someone says personally, that is my right ... and I also have the right to state why I do. Don't like it ... then keep your comments to yourself - nobody said you have to find fault with everybody else's opinions (which you seem to do). You say it is being stubborn, I say it is trying to be a bully.

Just for grits and giggles: You try to push people's buttons more than any other ten members of this forum combined - talk about hypocrisy.

Note: DelBoy ... the terror I was speaking about, was the terror I suffered for years in my nightmares - although I have to agree ... for those who are exposed to terrorism day after day, terror begins to lose it's power.

I think selling T-shirts is going a bit far but by all means celebrate his demise, but theres still a very long and costly road to go..........

I think selling T-shirts is going a bit far but by all means celebrate his demise, but theres still a very long and costly road to go..........
yep,.. you are starting to see where i'm going.

It's early days yet, and no one looks more stupid that those who overtly celebrate an event which may have almost no effect on the future except make our enemy more determined, and/or come back to bite us on the bum with reprisals and a more determined enemy (they have started in Pakistan already

Yes, I do know that some of us couldn't care less, because it's happening to someone else and these are often the same people that argue that we are over their to save the people of these countries from Islamic terror,... weird logic.

A little like those fans who celebrate their team's success at quarter time just because they are ahead at the time.
If you haven't figured out that one for yourself, then you are not as smart as you try to make out to be. I choose to post as I do .. because it appears that some people don't get it. When I find myself trying to push an idea through someone's rock head and they don't get it, then sometimes it is necessary to use a bigger hammer (which is what caps and color are to me ... a large hammer).
That is why I told you it wont work, because I don't really listen to people who display emotional immaturity. Which I guess, is what this thread is really all about, isn't it, after all it was you who agreed that gloating was childish. I don't believe that childishness has a role to play in winning this war, except perhaps to demonstrate to our opponents that we are as stupid as they are.
While gloating may be childish, ---snip---

BTW ... if I take something that someone says personally, that is my right ... and I also have the right to state why I do. Don't like it ... then keep your comments to yourself - nobody said you have to find fault with everybody else's opinions (which you seem to do). You say it is being stubborn, I say it is trying to be a bully.

Just for grits and giggles: You try to push people's buttons more than any other ten members of this forum combined - talk about hypocrisy.
Haha,... nice one. Who started posting in capitals, which is considered as yelling? I'm afraid there are no second prizes today.

If you feel that my rather determined stance is incorrect, why don't you give some valid points as to why I am incorrect, instead of just reposting that you gloat over this matter, having already agreed that it is childish. Obviously you have nothing to back your reasoning, so you just keep posting it for no other reason than to get a response. (That's what I mean by attempting to "push peoples buttons") You can't deny that I have not attempted to demonstrate why gloatiing is not helping our cause.

Last edited:
Seno ...
I can't help it that I wear my feelings on my sleeves when it comes to terrorists getting their comeuppance - it's a personal thing.

Some of us have the nightmares to go with our hatred of terrorists and terrorism. I have had to see horrible pictures in my nightmares for years.

Bottom line ... all I want want to see are terrorists that are dead, dead, dead. I will celebrate every single one that I hear about. If you consider that childish, so be it.

(If you have a problem with the bold or caps print ... get over it -
it is meant to be used .. that's why it's included as an option).

Last edited:
While gloating may be childish, I don't subscribe to your assertion that it is morally repugnant to gloat when a terrorist gets what he deserves.
So you don't think that it was morally repugnant when Arabs around the world danced in the street on hearing of 9/11?
edef1ce4.jpg

You can't have it both ways. I'm afraid that I not only disagree strongly with your sentiments in this regard, and in view of your recent posts, I also feel that you are doing yourself no favours in respect to your issues in dealing with your past experiences.

I'm certainly no trick cyclist, but I'd say that your views are just feeding any problems you may be having in dealing with past events. To me, and I'm sure many others, your reasoning is highly illogical.

Last edited:
I don't think you are going to make common ground here, guys. Perhaps it is time to agree to disagree on this one.

I don't think you are going to make common ground here, guys. Perhaps it is time to agree to disagree on this one.
I have no doubts whatsoever that we disagree, I'm just trying to work out where he is coming from.

I guess that I'm one of those persons who not only notes other people's opinions, but I also like to try to understand why they say and do the things that they do, especially when they are not obviously logical.

Not trying to interfere Seno, just thought you had both put a lot of effort in already; I'll get my coat.

Not trying to interfere Seno, just thought you had both put a lot of effort in already; I'll get my coat.
No need,... I certainly agree that The Chief and I must disagree. Believe it or not I do note your opinions too, not that we always agree, but that's what makes it a debate after all.:D

Cheers, Seno. A lot of our little 'differences' stem from the fact that you describe yourself as relying on a logical approach; whereas my approach is much more hit and miss, an emotional and impromptu one, whereby I immediately sit down and post, without preparation. So I never expect folk to follow me like I was the pied piper, far from it. So if you have been puzzled, there's the rub. I stick it up for what it's worth, while I am considering my position. :type: A permanent minority of one, that's me, as far as opinion is concerned, have been all my life through fate; I'm comfortable with that.

Pleased that we are not locked in confrontation currently though, cos. that gets tedious, don't it.:lol:

Last edited:
Well,,... the Chief, to his great credit PMed me and I hope we do have reached some understanding. as you said, we don't agree perhaps, but we do understand a little more.

As you no doubt have realised. It is not always what people say that gets me going, it's more often that I can't see how they come to a point of view. especially when other things they have said fly in the face of their own argument.

I drive my medico crazy, as I will rarely accept what she says at face value, unless it is painfully obvious, and always want her to explain "why". It really annoys her when I point out failings in the medical system as a reason for my obstructiveness. Like after I told her how after 20 odd years of acceptance, it has been recently shown that a diet high in green leafy vegetables is not going to make any differnce to one's probability of developing colo-rectal cancer.

She just about explodes when I say, "Well Rxxxxx, I figure that we're all only gunna get one lick of this lolly, so, it might as well be a good one"

I drive my medico crazy, as I will rarely accept what she says at face value, unless it is painfully obvious, and always want her to explain "why". It really annoys her when I point out failings in the medical system as a reason for my obstructiveness. Like after I told her how after 20 odd years of acceptance, it has been recently shown that a diet high in green leafy vegetables is not going to make any differnce to one's probability of developing colo-rectal cancer.

She just about explodes when I say, "Well Rxxxxx, I figure that we're all only gunna get one lick of this lolly, so, it might as well be a good one"

SNAP!!! I was discussing an incurable condition with a top consultant recently, chairman of the board etc., top man, and I put this to him, as carefully as I could. If this problem is recognised as incurable, and all known medications can only hold back symptoms, not affect the disease at all; then why, throughout the media, does the medical profession stress the importance of early diagnosis?? (see what I did there - little bit of logic.) Does this not mean that early diagnosis leads to early commencement of medication to ease visible symptoms - and last for a limited time period only and then wear off; and therefore to an early end to any success achieved anyway - leaving the progress of the condition itself unrestrained? Why not start symptom visibility as late as possible with a view to its effectiveness finishing as late as possible?

Response, from the great man, God Bless him- "Good Question".

(My response would be to shrug my shoulders and go for the win anyway; I would back the man knowing what I knew. See that - emotional response! ):lol:

Pleased to hear re. Chief - clear the decks, big world news ahead.

Last edited:
Could we at least aggree on the fact that the war on terror is far from over yet?

There has been a lot of misses and collateral damage so far, wich makes a lucky strike like Osama bin put to rest with the crabs even more pleasant, but if we sum it up there's no reason to roll out the barrell and start celebrating yet.

The Middle East is on fire, and we still don't know in what direction that wildfire will turn.
Afghanistan and Pakistan is boiling with tension, apart from the constant sounds of exploding munitions and shots being fired.
Osama bin Laden is just one round won, and the game is still on.

Back