When a terrorist dies, is it OK to gloat? (AP)

News Manager

Milforums News Bot
AP - When Hyojin Jenny Hwang wrote on Facebook that she was saddened by the sight of young Americans like herself jubilantly cheering Osama bin Laden's death, the angry response was swift, even from friends.

Read more...

Justice for the innocent makes that assertion absolutely moot.

There is absolutely NO celebration that is over the top when a butcher like Osama Bin Laden receives bullet justice.

I guess it is OK to gloat, so long as we are big enough between the tits to accept it when our enemies do the same.

Have to aggree with the digger here, an eye for an eye can backfire into our face one day, and then we should accept that our enemies celebrates it.

As for Bin Laden, good riddance and end of story!

I see gloating as a sign of weakness, like you are so surprised you did something, you feel the urge to express your feat. Children tend to do this, in their path to adulthood. To me it would have sufficed if the US simply said; we did him in, end of story. To dance is the street will not only anger your opponents, who generally see Bin Laden as some kind of George Washington, it also shows the relief of many, who doubted whether the US would ever get him....

Well, if someone killed a few thousand Dutch people and he too was taken out, I guarantee you, you would see the same sort of things in the streets of Amsterdam. Especially if it took about ten years to do it.
The only difference here is you don't have a personal connect to it.

It is good to party when a butcher like Osama Bin Laden receives bullet justice in matter of fact when he died I partied my ass off.

I see gloating as a sign of weakness, ---snip---
I must agree, I see gloating as a sign of childishly shallow character, both on behalf of the Muslim world who danced in the streets after 9/11 and those who did the same after OBL's death.

Really, it just demonstrates that we are no different from those whom we accuse of acting like animals.

I question ANYBODY'S ethics when they DON'T celebrate the death of every single terrorist that is killed. Each death makes the world a safer place and ALSO serves as justice for those the terrorist may have killed or maimed.

Who speaks for the dead or the maimed that terrorists are responsible for???

To me, the best voice/justice, is the death of the person responsible for the attacks on the innocent. Their deaths are nothing more than what they deserve or have earned. If you want to call it an eye-for-an-eye, so be it.

I celebrate the deaths of ALL terrorists by gloating over the fact that they were FINALLY brought to justice. They were removed from the face of the earth.

JUST LIKE COWARDLY OSAMA BIN LADEN.

Each death makes the world a safer place and ALSO serves as justice for those the terrorist may have killed or maimed.
I think you are confusing Justice and Revenge. The fact is that there is absolutely no connection. In short, it is the difference between the behaviour of civilized man and that of the animals.

Here we are trying to tell others that we are, "The Good Guys". Our childlike over confidence would make me laugh if it wasn't so damned pathetic. No wonder we are not learning from our mistakes.

Each death is just that, just one solitary man gone,.... and in the case of this man, a dozen more converted to follow him. Just stop and think for a minute. If they assassinated our top military man in Afghanistan, what would you do? I'll bet you wouldn't suddenly become an adherent if Islam ot even start to see it their way.

It just doesn't work like that.

I refuse to gloat over any death. Even bin Laden had loved ones, so gloating is, for me, nothing more than narcissism by throwing their sadness against them in their time of loss.

Was he a butcher? Yes. Did he deserve to die? Yes. Am I personally glad he is dead? I'm... satisfied. Not happy, not jubilant, not sad or depressed. I'm just glad that chapter is over. I'll not be crying in my beer nor dancing in the streets. I thank my brothers and sisters in arms from every nation for their combined and continued sacrifice, and I congratulate each of them on a mission accomplished status.

I do mimic the sentiments of others regarding any court fiasco, though. Had we tried him, the resulting demands for his release and circus would have been ridiculous.

In the end, I trust the professionals of SEAL Team Six. They were there and I was not, and I believe they handled the situation in the most proficient, professional manner possible given the circumstances. I trust them and their training far more than I do any speculative doubt as to the happenings that I may personally hold.

Sleep with the fishes ...

Sorry guys ...

I personally will gloat (if not celebrate), every single terrorist who is killed. They have earned and deserve nothing more or nothing less than their own deaths.

What is absolutely sad though, isn't the fact they have lost their lives, it's the fact that by the time that they do lose their lives, they are usually responsible for the deaths and maiming of hundreds if not thousands of innocent victims (many times their own countrymen, women and children).

You can cry and carry on about the death of one person diminishing everyone .. but .. I say bullsh!t. The death of one terrorist doesn't even begin to balance the scales of justice for the hundreds or thousands of people who were killed or maimed by the one.

I would personally administer the coups-de-grace to every single terrorist with a bullet to the back of their heads and not lose even one seconds sleep. I would like to see every terrorist end up sleeping with the fishes .... not just Bin Laden.

Sorry guys ...
You can cry and carry on about the death of one person diminishing everyone .. but .. I say bullsh!t. The death of one terrorist doesn't even begin to balance the scales of justice for the hundreds or thousands of people who were killed or maimed by the one.

I would personally administer the coups-de-grace to every single terrorist with a bullet to the back of their heads and not lose even one seconds sleep. I would like to see every terrorist end up sleeping with the fishes .... not just Bin Laden.
You',ve missed the point, I have no objection to the fact that OBL was killed, the debate here is if it's OK to gloat about it.

I said in my first post on this thread, that YES, it is OK to gloat, so long as you are big enough between the tits to accept it when our enemies do the same. I seem to remember all sorts of weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth about how inhuman our enemies were when photos were published of them dancing in the streets after the announcement of 9/11.

I was one of those who thought this act was childish and morally repugnant. Therefore why is it any different when we kill one of their's?

Big Taliban explosions - 80 dead it seems, retaliation for OBL.

Big mistake on their part. Without the sympathies of mainstream Muslims they're finished. But as long as they're engaging the United States in conflict, the mainstream will soon forget about the innocent Muslims these guys butchered.

I have no problem with OBL’s assignation and celebrate all those who made the operation possible. But the “gloating” by the crowds of youths did make me uneasy. I wonder how many of them ever considered military service?

Back