What War Would You Have Been In?

I think it seems more attainable and real to us than warfare from long ago.
I would have liked the Revolution though. Fighting for the freedom of America... Oh yeah...
Hopeful

well well.. everyone to his own thinking I guess.
I too like ww2 and stuff, but id rather be somewhere in between 15-19 centuries, middle ages, or ancian roman times :)

am sure many agree 8)

It is just human nature. Why do you think millions marched off to WW1? The first day of battle they probably all wanted to go home. And that is why wars are still fought today, humans are obsessed with it but it is not the grunts who choose to wage war, but the politicians who have never experienced it.
Wallabies, is that comment is directed to me? Many politicians have combat experience so, that statement of yours is too general. You ask why do I think millions marched off to WWI? I don't know as it was a little before my time. All I can comment on is the number of occasions when I have "marched off" to war. I think, no wait... I know that men are quite willing to fight when they feel the cause is just and the threat sufficient that it requires them to take up arms and defend their beliefs, their country, and their way of life.
My comment was made in reference to the perception that war is in some way a glorious undertaking. It is anything but glorious to those who must fight. To those who volunteer to fight, it is something that needs to be done. A person who has been in combat is probably the last person that would want to see it happen again. We're not obsessed with war, far from it. It may be a difficult concept but, we fight for all the reasons I listed and we fight to stop violence in hopes that our children or theirs won't have to do what we had to do.

I'd listen to DTop, he knows what he's talking about.

One thing to add; IMHO, the reason we take the fight to the enemy on their soil is because we don't want it to spill over to our turf. To me, that means taking a non-isolationist stance when it comes to various threats. Others would have us climb into a shell or bubble and not mess with the world, but what happens when we take that role too long? Two words: Nine Eleven. /rant

My first choice would certainly be Gulf War I. I'd have a good chance of survival and a serious technological advantage.

My second choice would be the present conflict in Afghanistan. The enemy there seems less sophisticated... so far.

My last choice is the western front of WWII, where two of my great uncles served.

I seriously hope things never get so bad in the world that I have to fight, but I am sure I'll answer the call if I'm needed.

I think that all those who have picked out some conflict or other they would have liked to have been in, have never ever been to war so it is still a game to them.

I have to agree with Le's point that no war is good to be in for those involved.

Just one point I think is important. It must be preferable to avoid the days before anaesthetic etc. and modern surgery care etc. Right?

I think that all those who have picked out some conflict or other they would have liked to have been in, have never ever been to war so it is still a game to them.

Yes. But it still really puts frost on my 4th POC that it can be considered a game. Theres no freakin reset button in the real world.

I would have fought in the European Theater of WWII... WWII was really the last time to first world armies ever clashed since then no opposing forces have been anywhere near equal terms.

Ehhh, I agree with LeEnfield....but..oh, well....American Civil War. heh, both of the sides let the deaf guys to serve on the frontline. If I'm hearing, that'd be World War 2 in the Pacifc Theater as a Marine.

Back