What War Would You Have Been In?

well, probably would like to avoid it completely...but as a tank commander either the western desert in WWII or Sinai in 1967...:tank:

I agree, LeEinfield.
I've been told that politics and theatrics goes straight-out the window when there's bullets flying your way. It makes sense.

I'm not a solider - not yet - but I am a novice martial artist. And in being such, even I can see that the reality of combat is completely different from that which is glorified in movies and games. Maybe not to the same extent as those who've served, but I realize it, nonetheless.

What war would I have been in?
That largely depends on the circumstances, doesn't it?

I just reread this post. Damn. I talk too much.

well, wolf, say you had the choice, you called the shots.

Call the shots? I'd want to be in the midst of it, not operating backstage... If that's what you meant.

A war I would most likely serve in if I were around at the time: Honestly -- and I know this is probably going to sound naive -- I'd most likely fight in any war that'd be taking place around my time. As I understand it, a soldier doesn't really get to decide where he's going to fight.. Or why he's going to fight there.

I wouldn't necessarily say that I'd want to fight in it, but the Battle of Stalingrad is one of the battles that interests me the most. The idea of snipers hunting down enemy soldiers in the battle torn ruins of their own city appeals to me.

I guess it's not really a straight answer, but it's something to go by, atleast.

I've got two quotes that should fit perfectly in this thread.. :bored:

"Dulce bellum inexpertis"
(War is delightful to those who have had no experience of it.)
- Desiderius Erasmus, title of his book from 1515
Dutch humanist, 1466–1536

"I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can,
only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity."

- General Dwight D. Eisenhower

http://www.military-quotes.com/war-quotes.htm

Amen to that.

"Compared to war all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance. God help me, I do love it so!"
- General George S. Patton

Granted he was a little on the nut side, but still...there are some who havew been there done that and liked the ride.​

Well after much thought I have decided I would have prefered the Anglo-Zanzibar war of 1896

August 27, 1896 - Lasting approximately 45 minutes, the Anglo-Zanzibar War becomes the shortest war in history. The conflict was the result of a dispute over succession to the sultanate of Zanzibar. After the late sultan's nephew, Khalid bin Bargash, staged a coup d'état and assumed power, the British, who were advancing their own candidate, ordered him to step down. After a British ultimatum expired, the Royal Navy opened fire on the palace (right) and forced Bargash to seek asylum from the Germans. Bargash's retreat allowed the British to place Hamud bin Muhammed on the throne.
It was short and there was a good chance i would have walked away from it thus making it the perfect war.

:)

I see a pattern here where the young, inexperienced, and non-military members are expounding dreams of glory and adventure, and where the military combat veterans are repeatedly denouncing being in any war.

This thread is futile and borders disrespect to combat veterans who died in every war.

The only thing from one war to the inevitable next that changes is technology and news coverage. We dont choose war, someone above us does that for us.

You want to talk about what war to fight in? Fight in ONE before posting in this thread again. Stand where LeEnfield, Charge 7, Redleg, and countless others have stood on the field of battle before you declare how much you wish to be at war.

If you respect those that have fought for your right to be an idiot, do not post in this thread, or any other, about the war of your choice.

I apologize for being harsh and I do not mean to be disrespectful, but this topic needs to die.

Does a solder think about how he hates war and doesn't want to be involved in one when he decides to sign up?

Does a solder think about how he hates war and doesn't want to be involved in one when he decides to sign up?

As one who signed such a contract, yes I did. Signing said contract isnt a statement of desire to go to war or to choose a war, but instead is a committment to protect the country, ideals, and most importantly the people no matter what it costs personally.

Signing said contract isnt a statement of desire to go to war or to choose a war, but instead is a committment to protect the country, ideals, and most importantly the people no matter what it costs personally.
I've got yet another quote that should fit here as well.. :D

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
("If you want peace, prepare for war!")
- Flavius Vegetius Renatus
http://www.military-quotes.com/vegetius-renatus.htm

Signing up for most soldiers does (hopefully) not mean that we have a strong desire to go to war, but instead we want to be prepared for something that we never ever hope will happen in our country.
None of my missions abroad have been in any (defined) war zones by the way, but they've been in conflict areas and I've seen and experienced things I never want to see in my own country..

"Compared to war all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance. God help me, I do love it so!"
- General George S. Patton

Granted he was a little on the nut side, but still...there are some who havew been there done that and liked the ride.​
That's certainly true, and I can understand them as well.
The adrenaline rush you can get in conflicts/war zones can be a powerful "drug".
I know many who's got "addicted" to that and applied over and over again for missions abroad, and when they finally got a "no" to go out again (after 10 to 15 deployments) they went to the Foreign Legion, PMCs or similar so they could continue...

As one who signed such a contract, yes I did. Signing said contract isnt a statement of desire to go to war or to choose a war, but instead is a committment to protect the country, ideals, and most importantly the people no matter what it costs personally.
Well it's obvious I'm barking up the wrong tree here, so I'll just put it this way: I plan on joining the U.S. Marine Corps. I have family members in the military - my father was in the military -- my uncle is most likely to be deployed at some point in the future.
I'm being defensive, here, because you generally accused me of being disrespectful to those who have served, simply because I've made a post on this thread... And, I'll be honest, this post is influenced greatly by guilt... Because it was not my intention to be such.

For those of you who may have taken offense to my inital post: Forgive me for being young an inexperienced; it's simply what I am. If my comments seemed disrespectful, realize it wasn't deliberate.

Now, for the sake of the argument, Spartacus, let me rephrase my question: Can you say that every soldier who is or was in the military did not have the same visions of "glorious" war when they signed up?

Well it's obvious I'm barking up the wrong tree here, so I'll just put it this way: I plan on joining the U.S. Marine Corps. I have family members in the military - my father was in the military -- my uncle is most likely to be deployed at some point in the future.
I'm being defensive, here, because you generally accused me of being disrespectful to those who have served, simply because I've made a post on this thread... And, I'll be honest, this post is influenced greatly by guilt... Because it was not my intention to be such.

For those of you who may have taken offense to my inital post: Forgive me for being young an inexperienced; it's simply what I am. If my comments seemed disrespectful, realize it wasn't deliberate.

Now, for the sake of the argument, Spartacus, let me rephrase my question: Can you say that every soldier who is or was in the military did not have the same visions of "glorious" war when they signed up?

My point on how this thread borders on disrespect towards combat veterans focuses on how those who have never fought in any war are discussing the best war to join.

The fact you feel guilty tells me that you simply didnt fully appreciate everything this thread meant when you posted. Thats fine, a part of being young and inexperienced. The fact you recognize and can apologize for any disrespect you have caused tells me you are moving away from that and towards being one who more fully considers the ramifications of his actions and words.

Now, to the topic at hand. There is no need for an argument. Do not present me with an argument unless it is your own, and do not ask me a question regarding the mindset of another person. I cannot tell you what someone else is thinking any more than you can. Beyond that, my response to this thread had nothing to do with the motivation to join the military.

It instead had to do with people, who have never seen combat, telling the very people who lived those battles as a reality, those "adventures", what war they would fight in or how they would "choose" that war because it has something the other wars do not.

I do not wish to cause embitterment between myself and others on this forum. My objective was to force people to realize and acknowledge just how rediculous this thread is. My words were harsh to underscore just how immature the theory of this thread is, and to make its subscribers apply my admonishment to themselves.

I do not wish to fight with you, or anyone else on this forum. We all make mistakes and say things without thinking them through, check my history and I am sure you will find plenty of examples of mistakes.

The whole thread puzzles me a little. To me it just trivialises a subject that that is anything but trivial. It suggests "War Gamers" who play from the comfort of arm chairs with none of the lack of sleep, stultifying boredom and occasional sheer mind bending terror of real war. Too many hours watching CNN from the safety of one's lounge room.

I have the deep down feeling that if the posters had the vaguest idea of what they were talking about, they would have very serious second thoughts.

Maybe I'm just old and grumpy

Last edited:
My point on how this thread borders on disrespect towards combat veterans focuses on how those who have never fought in any war are discussing the best war to join.

The fact you feel guilty tells me that you simply didnt fully appreciate everything this thread meant when you posted. Thats fine, a part of being young and inexperienced. The fact you recognize and can apologize for any disrespect you have caused tells me you are moving away from that and towards being one who more fully considers the ramifications of his actions and words.

Yes. I thought I had made it clear that I wasn't fully commited to the purpose of this thread... But in deciding to participate anyway, I made myself a hypocrite.

Now, to the topic at hand. There is no need for an argument. Do not present me with an argument unless it is your own, and do not ask me a question regarding the mindset of another person. I cannot tell you what someone else is thinking any more than you can. Beyond that, my response to this thread had nothing to do with the motivation to join the military.

The argument I presented was my own, and there was a reason for my question... However, I feel it's irrelevant.

It instead had to do with people, who have never seen combat, telling the very people who lived those battles as a reality, those "adventures", what war they would fight in or how they would "choose" that war because it has something the other wars do not.

I understand now and I apologize for my ignorance.
I realize I have a long way to go... I'm just fortunate to have you guys to kick my ass into shape - so to speak.

Thank you.

Last edited:

I am sick and tired of war. It's glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for venegance, for desolation. War is hell.

William T. Sherman

It is well that war is so terrible. Lest we should grow to fond of it.

Robert E. Lee

Back