Georgia "Invaded" By Russian Forces

The West should stand up to Russia on this or we will have this all along the Russian frontiers. Now if we look back and see what happened with Germany when we failed to be firm we wound up with a World War
My point exactly.

Will Gordon Brown further endear himself to Britons by declaring the end of the Georgian conflict "A Peace for our time."?

true, but it does seem like Putin is desperate to keep the integrity of the former soviet regions, they already lost the Ukraine to the west and now Georgia is up for NATO membership, they don't like these ex's of theirs running over to NATO, that much is certain

The Pravda made their views of the US well known recently, did you see that thing about Pres. Bush ?

I think its more a case of Russia not wanting NATO on its borders and they are not alone on this when you consider how much touchy the USA gets whenever the Russians look like moving into Cuba.

I think its more a case of Russia not wanting NATO on its borders and they are not alone on this when you consider how much touchy the USA gets whenever the Russians look like moving into Cuba.

Exactly. Either that, or if they hadn't planned on taking all of Georgia and just South Ossentia, they were making a statement that they are not afraid of NATO.

Exactly. Either that, or if they hadn't planned on taking all of Georgia and just South Ossentia, they were making a statement that they are not afraid of NATO.

could also be a flexing gesture by Russia since Georgia is so close to its NATO membership, they (Georgia) were just recently denied by NATO, Russia sees a window to make their move and assert their authority in the region before Georgia does join NATO......thinking out loud

The Russian say that the Georgians did that when they tried to retake the region hence the reason they sent their forces in.

For some reason I think this is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of Russia's "agenda," if you will, for Eastern Europe. Something doesn't seem right, or maybe we are just not seeing the whole picture as being spoon fed to us by whatever talking head appears to us on a screen. Now I hear Ukraine is refusing to be on Russia's "hit list," and along with Poland's fear of Russian aggression (however unfounded), I foresee this getting way out of hand. Almost sounds like a Tom Clancy novel in the making...

Could it be that a cigar is just a cigar, and Russia felt it's citizens were in danger and acted much as we did in Granada? Why attach a dark agenda to this one act, if it's followed up by more aggressive action then they may have an agenda going. As it is they are pulling out, mission accomplished although they will drag their feet amd make it take a while just because they can.

For some reason I think this is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of Russia's "agenda," if you will, for Eastern Europe. Something doesn't seem right, or maybe we are just not seeing the whole picture as being spoon fed to us by whatever talking head appears to us on a screen. Now I hear Ukraine is refusing to be on Russia's "hit list," and along with Poland's fear of Russian aggression (however unfounded), I foresee this getting way out of hand. Almost sounds like a Tom Clancy novel in the making...
I agree. I don't trust the Russians at all, and I feel that they want their empire back.

Maytime said:
For now it seems that just a fight for zones of influence is going on. Russia felt strong and dare enough as well as used opportunity created by Georgia itself to try increasing its influence, as well as decreasing an influence of US and NATO in region. Particulary because of importance of oil traffic.
The Other Guy said:
I don't trust the Russians at all, and I feel that they want their empire back.
And why not? If America can afford to be an Empire, why Russia can't? I do not like Russian Empire either, but that's the way geopolitics is and I do not see an objective arguments to prohibit Russia to became an Empire...

And why not? If America can afford to be an Empire, why Russia can't? I do not like Russian Empire either, but that's the way geopolitics is and I do not see an objective arguments to prohibit Russia to became an Empire...
Curse the Bush Administration for making my opinion moot... he's created an environment where America has no moral high ground to condemn the actions of others.

I don't think it is the tip of anything it is simply the proverbial storm in the tea cup and now both major players on the scene are trying to secure ground for themselves.

The Russians are inevitably going to take the two breakaway provinces and the Americans are going to use the process to scare the Ukraine, Poland and anyone else they can convince the "Russians are coming" into their sphere of influence.
The simple reality is that the Russians have improved their military capacity but its still not anywhere near the level that would make it a threat to anything but worthless lumps of rock like Georgia (in fact I doubt it would do any better in Afghanistan now than it did in 1980), it certainly couldn't take on the likes of Poland or the Ukraine they are just too big but that wont stop people making it seem like they are in danger to meet their own ends.

I recall a similar situation in the 20s where the Soviets attempted to take back land they had lost to Poland in the Treaty of Versailles. I also remember that not going well for the Russians.

From what I'm hearing, Russia set up the scenario for Georgia to react to, then invaded when Georgia did so. No way would I assume Russia was trying to do the right thing. Seems to me their actions are Soviet-like from what I know about the scenario.

Could it be that a cigar is just a cigar, and Russia felt it's citizens were in danger and acted much as we did in Granada? Why attach a dark agenda to this one act, if it's followed up by more aggressive action then they may have an agenda going. As it is they are pulling out, mission accomplished although they will drag their feet amd make it take a while just because they can.

thank you! but the russian are always the "bad guys" in the US, although i hate the Putin, hes a genius, but hes evil. He has made it so the prime minister in effect runs the country, all legally under their constitution, which gives the president WAY to much power, i wish they have another revolution, and get the constitution right this time with the checks and balances that we have.

610xrn5.jpg

People in Russian web are rumoring the MARPAT is pretty comfortable dress for tank crews... :lol:

Countries who were "occupied" by the US ended up a heck of a lot nicer than the places Russia took.
Dunno maybe helping build the economy, a means to defend themselves etc., is just the same as whatever it is the Russians do when they take a piece of real estate. </sarcasm>

Back