Georgia "Invaded" By Russian Forces

And if Kosovo wants to secede from Serbia... Serbia sends soldiers... Kosovo is still part of Serbia...
Kosovo was recognized as an independent country by several nations as soon as they declared their independence. South Ossetia, for starters, didn't want to be an independent country. They wanted to join Russia.

The Russians supplied passports to the citizens there. They could have gone to Russia any time they wished. But they chose not to and instead wreaked havoc in a foreign country, sort of like the countless numbers of illegal immigrants causing problems in the United States. If the US were to jail Mexican citizens living on this side of the border, does that give Mexico the right to invade?

I'm thinking not.

I have been saying this for days now when Russia passed out the passports Georgia was CHECKMATED game over Georgia still thought they had one last play to me and got mauled by the bear they are lucky the Russians were in a good mood or it could have gotten a lot uglier.

I have been saying this for days now when Russia passed out the passports Georgia was CHECKMATED game over Georgia still thought they had one last play to me and got mauled by the bear they are lucky the Russians were in a good mood or it could have gotten a lot uglier.
Yes, because the Russians knew also that there was no way the West would do anything...

Kosovo was recognized as an independent country by several nations as soon as they declared their independence. South Ossetia, for starters, didn't want to be an independent country. They wanted to join Russia.

The Russians supplied passports to the citizens there. They could have gone to Russia any time they wished. But they chose not to and instead wreaked havoc in a foreign country, sort of like the countless numbers of illegal immigrants causing problems in the United States. If the US were to jail Mexican citizens living on this side of the border, does that give Mexico the right to invade?

I'm thinking not.

Funny you should mention Mexico as there really isn't a great deal of difference between SO, Kosovo and Texas, perhaps with the exception that the people in SO and Kosovo are natives to the region and have lived there all their lives but have a closer relationship to a country they border and Texas was about a bunch of immigrants over powering the locals.

Yes, because the Russians knew also that there was no way the West would do anything...

Of course they did would you recommend we send in the 82nd? To the rescue:horsie: then all our enemies would have full Russian support that would make a hell of a mess out of things. I love those chicken hawks in the media who want war at all costs.

Georgia attacked South Ossetia under cover of the olympics yes or no, the people of South Ossetia do not want to be Georgian hense the Russian Passport they all seem to have. Why not leave them alone on the military side and attract them to Georgia with economic means? It has been 16 years since the people of South Ossetia renounced Georgian control.

What if we let the people of South Ossetia have a little Self Determinitation?

What if all the Russians living in Georgia moved to Russia? You see, if I didn't want to live in Spain I wouldn't live there and complain about it if I had an American passport...

And another thing. Georgia is supposedly our ally, so we should stick up for them. We sure do treat our friends badly...

Of course they did would you recommend we send in the 82nd? To the rescue:horsie: then all our enemies would have full Russian support that would make a hell of a mess out of things. I love those chicken hawks in the media who want war at all costs.

Georgia attacked South Ossetia under cover of the olympics yes or no, the people of South Ossetia do not want to be Georgian hense the Russian Passport they all seem to have. Why not leave them alone on the military side and attract them to Georgia with economic means? It has been 16 years since the people of South Ossetia renounced Georgian control.

What if we let the people of South Ossetia have a little Self Determinitation?

:rock::rock:

The West should stand up to Russia on this or we will have this all along the Russian frontiers. Now if we look back and see what happened with Germany when we failed to be firm we wound up with a World War

A lot of this (Yugoslavia and therefore Bosnia/Kosovo et al) is much like what happened in Africa and the Middle East. The borders were drawn by Colonial powers many years ago, without regard for the actual (be it undocumented) borders know and used by the locals and neither on religious nor ethnic groupings.

The borders were more to suit the division of the spoils by many of the powers.

The chickens are coming (and have come) home to roost on many of these. If you remember, Saddam even used this as an excuse on the invasion of Kuwait. If you read the history of Iraq, this too was a conglomerate of smaller Fiefdoms rather than ever a “country”. Georgia is similar.

Israel and the Palestinians are also suffering under this.

Frank You are 100 Percent Right!

Lines on maps are irrelevent it is the ethnic, religious, traditional, and tribal boundrys that should be reapected, not a line put on a map,

A few years ago on another forum some one put up a map of Africa showing boarder along traditional lines the boarders were much different than the national boarders today. The map was reported to be from the CIA

South Ossetia does not want to live under Georgia. That's a fact, based on referendum few years ago.
The Other Guy said:
The Russians supplied passports to the citizens there.
Why didn't Georgia? Or - why South Ossetians refused to take a Georgian citizenship, m?
The Other Guy said:
They could have gone to Russia any time they wished. But they chose not to and instead wreaked havoc in a foreign country, sort of like the countless numbers of illegal immigrants causing problems in the United States. If the US were to jail Mexican citizens living on this side of the border, does that give Mexico the right to invade?
No, you ar wrong. Since South Ossetians aren't illegal immigrants in Georgia - South Ossetia is their historic homeland (it was added to Georgia by Stalin due to simplify administration of the territories). Why should they leave their land and homes?

I feel Russia should annex South Ossentia. I have read multiple reports from CNN, BBC, RussiaToday, and others stating that South Ossentia wishes to rejoin North Ossentia (which is part of Russia). But, if Russia does annex South Ossentia, I believe Russia should be the sole entity in rebuilding the region, and not Georgia. Anyone heard any news on Abkhazia's situation?

I am hearing Russia set Georgia up and when Georgia reacted then Russia used that as an excuse to invade.

I've heard that too, that Georgia was launching attacks on resistance fighters from South Ossentia with Russian peacekeeping forces stationed there. Apparently a few peacekeepers were killed.

The Russians know exactly what they are doing they have this figured out 3 moves ahead all we can do is sit back and watch.

Every time Russia does something your guys are going to run around saying the USSR is back, the USSR is back, the USSR is back sound like chicken little.

The Russians know exactly what they are doing they have this figured out 3 moves ahead all we can do is sit back and watch.

Every time Russia does something your guys are going to run around saying the USSR is back, the USSR is back, the USSR is back sound like chicken little.

??? United Russia is in power. and Oleg Shenin failed in the previous elections so the communists are not coming back any time soon lol.

??? United Russia is in power. and Oleg Shenin failed in the previous elections so the communists are not coming back any time soon lol.
The phrase `Comeback of USSR` is senseless. Russia always had imperialistic claims, not depending of its political, economic and social formation. We can like it or hate it, but Russia is a potential or actual world superpower...

The phrase `Comeback of USSR` is senseless. Russia always had imperialistic claims, not depending of its political, economic and social formation. We can like it or hate it, but Russia is a potential or actual world superpower...

true, but it does seem like Putin is desperate to keep the integrity of the former soviet regions, they already lost the Ukraine to the west and now Georgia is up for NATO membership, they don't like these ex's of theirs running over to NATO, that much is certain

The Pravda made their views of the US well known recently, did you see that thing about Pres. Bush ?

Back