California Overturns Gay Marriage

Well by that stage the damage was probably done as the western roman empire was deemed finished only 40 years later.

Homosexuality is anti social, and is a factor in moral decay and that was what the article was all about, surely I don't have to spoon feed you this stuff.

Homosexuality is now compulsory here in Britain.

So how are you enjoying it?

Well by that stage the damage was probably done as the western roman empire was deemed finished only 40 years later.

Homosexuality is anti social, and is a factor in moral decay and that was what the article was all about, surely I don't have to spoon feed you this stuff.

Interesting because using your logic while homosexual acceptance was at its zenith in Rome the Empire was at its peak both militarily and economically 100BC to 200AD yet apparently within 40 years of accepting Christianity half the Empire had collapsed both militarily and economically never to return.

If I wanted to be really obtuse I could draw a very different conclusion to yours.

Basiclly the problem with your argument is that you are assuming your view of moral decay and anti-social behavior are the benchmark for every ones views and I would strongly suggest much like everyone else (myself included) your views are simply the product of your social environment and carry no actual weight in terms of right or wrong.

I remain pretty much in agreement with Shermans views on this issue.

Last edited:
in fact i have just complete reading most posts of this topic.i think homosextuality is against humans' nature and i do not agree with it at all.
however since some of you are atheists,then i have nothing to say regarding that my openion based on islam religion which deplores and extremly opposes homosextuality.it is even unacceptable for a normal human being!

Basiclly the problem with your argument is that you are assuming your view of moral decay and anti-social behavior are the benchmark for every ones views* and I would strongly suggest much like everyone else (myself included) your views are simply the product of your social environment and carry no actual weight in terms of right or wrong.
Please don't presume to tell me what I'm thinking or saying. You may state that this is your interpretation, but obviously there is a great difference in interpretation., as it is neither my argument nor my point. The fact is that homosexual marriage and homosexuality in general is viewed as anti social habit is the result of the vote of the majority (as seen in this case). I merely agreed with another poster that the two things do seem to go hand in hand, and that is my opinion... period, I care not a fig what others feel about it.

As was pointed out initially that recognition of Homosexual marriage in the state if California was denied by the voters of that state, and this decision of the people was overturned by the court etc, etc....

I initially came in to this debate expressing the view that this act was anti social and not accepted by the majority, and THAT is my point. (a la picking one's nose etc....)

Other than that, men faffing about, acting like women and vice versa make my skin crawl, (like people who pick their nose and eat it in public) but that's just me, if you or anyone else thinks that I'm odd because of it, fill your boots, say what you like, you will never get my agreement on this point.

I'm not here for a debate about the matter, I'm here to state my view. Some things in life are not debatable. I know people who think I'm a fool for being honest in stating my opinions. But that is their opinion, and I don't argue with it.

Last edited:
Please don't presume to tell me what I'm thinking or saying. You may state that this is your interpretation, but obviously there is a great difference in interpretation., as it is neither my argument nor my point. The fact is that homosexual marriage and homosexuality in general is viewed as anti social habit is the result of the vote of the majority (as seen in this case). I merely agreed with another poster that the two things do seem to go hand in hand, and that is my opinion... period, I care not a fig what others feel about it.

As was pointed out initially that recognition of Homosexual marriage in the state if California was denied by the voters of that state, and this decision of the people was overturned by the court etc, etc....

I initially came in to this debate expressing the view that this act was anti social and not accepted by the majority, and THAT is my point. (a la picking one's nose etc....)

Other than that, men acting like women and vice versa make my skin crawl, (like people who pick their nose and eat it in public) but that's just me, if you or anyone else thinks that I'm odd because of it, fill your boots, say what you like, you will never get my agreement on this point.

I'm not here for a debate about the matter, I'm here to state my view. Some things in life are not debatable. I know people who think I'm a fool for being honest in stating my opinions. But that is their opinion, and I don't argue with it.

Besides that, I'm in a hurry.
i absolutely agree with you.you are right.
i think your openoin is the openoin of the logic,mind,morals and religion.

I agree totally with Spike on this one. Homosexuality makes my skin crawl, what annoys me even more is they ram their sexuality down my throat and demand that I accept their way of life. Not a damn.

This is a matter of fact and personal opinion, not all things need to be to be justified by logic to be correct.

It's like a person having a dislike of a Brussel sprouts,... no amount of "logical or learned debate" can make that person like them. In this case it appears that the majority of persons in California have voted that homosexual marriage should not have official recognition. That carries far more weight than any amount of "logic". Well,... it did last time I lived in a democratic society.

Last edited:
It has even been suggested that it was this social and moral decline that you seem to admire, that bought about the end of these so called "civilized" societies. What you are advocating could well take our civilized societies closer to going down the same path.

The very idea of "Civilisation", being that we learn for our previous mistakes,... not try to repeat them.

Finally some time to reply, it seems I have missed loads of fun. Anyway, here we go!

* I don't admire social and moral decline. I see a lot of that here in Amsterdam on the streets and in my work and I oppose it every way I can. Only I don't see gay marriage as social and moral decline. I am against phenomenons as bare-back parties or high way rest areas that have to be closed due to explicit gay activities. Two people that truly love eachother and vow to stay together 'till death do them part, I see nothing degenerate in that.

* I don't advocate gay marriage, I just don't oppose them.

* That the Roman empire was degenerate is very true. But to pin the entire decline and disappearance of these civilisations solely on gay sex... That is not what I was taught in school. I remembered something about a horde of Visigoths and burning down Rome...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
Basiclly the problem with your argument is that you are assuming your view of moral decay and anti-social behavior are the benchmark for every ones views* and I would strongly suggest much like everyone else (myself included) your views are simply the product of your social environment and carry no actual weight in terms of right or wrong.

I have to agree that the environment is playing an important issue on views. In most parts of Europe it isn't considered anti-social and more and more countries legalize gay marriage. So I'd say that your views on the topic are partly made by your surroundings and partly by one's own experience and upbringing.... and so are mine.

I agree totally with Spike on this one. Homosexuality makes my skin crawl, what annoys me even more is they ram their sexuality down my throat and demand that I accept their way of life. Not a damn.

You don't have to accept it, but you don't have the deny them their rights either.

I happen to find homosexuality distasteful as well, but as long as I am not personally affected by it I will keep my opinions about other peoples sexual orientation to myself. The thing that burns me up are those people that stick their nose into other peoples business because it offends their "values". These people that want to ban gay-marriage for example. Who the hell died and made them supreme juror of humanity?

If Adam and Steve are happy married together than god bless them! As long as I am not involved I don't give a damn want they do in the bedroom whether they call it marriage, or if they wear woman's clothes (and some do).

If they want to have a gay pride parade, I have no problem with that as long as I am not required to attend.

The only way I would support a gay marriage ban is if it could be documented to have an impact on my life or my relationship with my fiancee. Other than that live and let live.

So how are you enjoying it?

Not as much as you it seems!

So far I have been able to be excused on account of my claim that it would make my eyes water.

The inquisition accepted that on grounds of my being an ugly specimen.

Oh come on I am sure the government could assign you a hairy Scotsman or something.

You don't have to accept it, but you don't have the deny them their rights either.

I happen to find homosexuality distasteful as well, but as long as I am not personally affected by it I will keep my opinions about other peoples sexual orientation to myself. The thing that burns me up are those people that stick their nose into other peoples business because it offends their "values". These people that want to ban gay-marriage for example. Who the hell died and made them supreme juror of humanity?

If Adam and Steve are happy married together than god bless them! As long as I am not involved I don't give a damn want they do in the bedroom whether they call it marriage, or if they wear woman's clothes (and some do).

If they want to have a gay pride parade, I have no problem with that as long as I am not required to attend.

The only way I would support a gay marriage ban is if it could be documented to have an impact on my life or my relationship with my fiancee. Other than that live and let live.

This is exactly it.

Last edited:
In previous posts I have tried to make it clear that I oppose Gay and Lesbian right to marry, based on my moral values. How my moral values were formed are irrelevant to my decision, they are what they are.

My position on Gay and Lesbian marriage has been affirmed in my state (California) by the majority of the voting population. Since this is an International forum a little explanation of who holds ultimate authority in governing the United States is needed. It belongs with the people.

A quick Internet search of the History of the US Constitution and the first ten amendments (Bill of rights) will confirm the ultimate authority belongs to the people.

One view of how Gay and Lesbian rights should be secured can be found by going to The Tolerance Organization at tolerance.org. In an article titlled Anti-Gay Amendments Pass in 11 States it is stated that gay rights are too important to be decided by the people. They will focus their efforts on legislation and the courts. They are willing to bypass the ulimate right of the people to decide.

This view scares the hell out of me. I do not believe the State has any right to overide the will of the people.

The majority of voters in California have now voted twice to limit marriage to between 1 man and 1 women. This majority vote has been overriden once by the California Supreme Court (the government). It is now back with this court again. If the vote of the people is overturned again the Court is saying that the ultimate authority belongs to the government.

Be afraid, be verry verry afraid.

Times could change in the future and the majority of the population could agree that homosexual and lesbian preferences should be allowed. But that decision remains with the people not with the government. If supporters of Gay and Lesbian preference wish to make a deal with the devil (government) and give up their right to self government for the right to marry, I think they are making a bad deal.

As a foot note: I would have copied and posted the Tolerance article but you are required to contact them and get permission to use the article.

In previous posts I have tried to make it clear that I oppose Gay and Lesbian right to marry, based on my moral values. How my moral values were formed are irrelevant to my decision, they are what they are.

My position on Gay and Lesbian marriage has been affirmed in my state (California) by the majority of the voting population. Since this is an International forum a little explanation of who holds ultimate authority in governing the United States is needed. It belongs with the people.

A quick Internet search of the History of the US Constitution and the first ten amendments (Bill of rights) will confirm the ultimate authority belongs to the people.

One view of how Gay and Lesbian rights should be secured can be found by going to The Tolerance Organization at tolerance.org. In an article titlled Anti-Gay Amendments Pass in 11 States it is stated that gay rights are too important to be decided by the people. They will focus their efforts on legislation and the courts. They are willing to bypass the ulimate right of the people to decide.

This view scares the hell out of me. I do not believe the State has any right to overide the will of the people.

The majority of voters in California have now voted twice to limit marriage to between 1 man and 1 women. This majority vote has been overriden once by the California Supreme Court (the government). It is now back with this court again. If the vote of the people is overturned again the Court is saying that the ultimate authority belongs to the government.

Be afraid, be verry verry afraid.

Times could change in the future and the majority of the population could agree that homosexual and lesbian preferences should be allowed. But that decision remains with the people not with the government. If supporters of Gay and Lesbian preference wish to make a deal with the devil (government) and give up their right to self government for the right to marry, I think they are making a bad deal.

As a foot note: I would have copied and posted the Tolerance article but you are required to contact them and get permission to use the article.

I agree with this, the gay marriage movement has lost the vote and need to accept the will of the people at this time and leave the courts out of it, if they genuinely believe in their cause they need to get out and change peoples minds and not rely on the courts to do it for them.

Only I don't see gay marriage as social and moral decline. I am against phenomenons as bare-back parties or high way rest areas that have to be closed due to explicit gay activities. Two people that truly love eachother and vow to stay together 'till death do them part, I see nothing degenerate in that.
Ted, could you please define "Love".

I love my children, but I'm not wanting to, nor legally allowed to marry them.

* I don't advocate gay marriage, I just don't oppose them.
Well,.... I do.

* That the Roman empire was degenerate is very true. But to pin the entire decline and disappearance of these civilisations solely on gay sex... That is not what I was taught in school. I remembered something about a horde of Visigoths and burning down Rome...
I didn't say that either. In fact I actually went so far as to state that this was not the sum cause, but it seems that everyone who disagrees with my view conveniently misses this sentence. My implication was, as I interpreted what I was taught, that The Roman empire fell to the Visigoths because their moral decay had led to them becoming "degenerate and soft" and no longer willing to make the sacrifices necessary to defend their empire, they were too wrapped up in enjoying their degeneracy.

I have to agree that the environment is playing an important issue on views. In most parts of Europe it isn't considered anti-social and more and more countries legalize gay marriage. So I'd say that your views on the topic are partly made by your surroundings and partly by one's own experience and upbringing.... and so are mine.
Well,... as I pointed out in an earlier post, several European countries are already reaping the results of poor judgement on similar "Politically correct" matters. Policies on acceptance of refugees, soft laws regarding the use of "recreational" drugs, (Netherlands); the acceptance of the use of hard drugs in public places (Switzerland) The Netherlands now finds it necessary to build prison barges to house "refugees" (actually illegal immigrants) until they can have their case heard and be deported, the conditions on these barges has already become the subject if discussion by several International bodies regarding the keeping of prisoners. The story is much longer but you may Google it for yourselves.

I just don't see the need for the rest of the world to make the same costly mistakes.

I feel that the word Rights, is being used somewhat loosely here.

All acts that are not specifically disallowed by law, are not necessarily a "Right".

*Rights, Under the law as administered in Australia, and I suspect in the USA. There is no law specifically stating that homosexuals have this as a right in law, (a statute), so what you are talking of, is what is defined as an imperfect right, (there is no law specifically forbidding it, which makes it "allowable", until challenged, when it becomes "disputable") or to be more precise is is actually an "expectation", which means, so long as society resists it or until is is legislated for, it carries no legal or moral weight (is is legally Null). I strongly suspect that this means that they have no "Right" as defined in law. This it seems would make it a "Privilege", I'm not even going to start reading the definition of Privilege as it is longer than Rights. If you wish to, it is found under "Law of Torts"

The example given in Butterworth's Law is that of a person begging for money. That individual is allowed to ask for money except where specifically denied by law, however they have no legal backing as it is only an expectation based on the goodwill of the person being asked.

I'll leave it at that because it runs to three pages of very small print, nearly all of which is nothing to do with our subject. Book provided by Justin, an LLB (Hons) Melb.

I'm no Lawyer, but I reckon I've got the guts of it right, and it's already wasted 2 hours of my time.... Interesting though.

Last edited:
I didn't say that either. In fact I actually went so far as to state that this was not the sum cause, but it seems that everyone who disagrees with my view conveniently misses this sentence. My implication was, as I interpreted what I was taught, that The Roman empire fell to the Visigoths because their moral decay had led to them becoming "degenerate and soft" and no longer willing to make the sacrifices necessary to defend their empire, they were too wrapped up in enjoying their degeneracy.

I think we're already there.

What gives them the right to demand I accept their way of life, what gives them the right to forces their values and ideals down the throats of those who may not agree with their lifestyle? I have my rights too.

BritinAfrica, our rights don't count. Remember? Because what we value is a bit "too normal" to be given any kind of "protected" status.
What we need is to
A) Establish the fact that what we believe in makes us a minority.
B) Prove that we are oppressed and someone like us died during the Holocaust.
C) Make sure what we stand for is completely messed up, though I don't think the world is ready for NAMBLA or any sort of thing like that. But maybe in a few years...
D) Have someone make an emotional movie about our cause.
E) Accuse people who disagree of being biggots.
F) Never back down, never agree with the opposition and keep producing propaganda about how we're right and there's nothing anyone can do about it. Eventually by repeating something long enough, loudly enough and annoyingly enough, people will learn to get used to it and eventually accept it.
G) Icing on the cake... have someone commit suicide with a note describing how the death came about because he/she (more effective if it's a she) could not stand living in a society that does not accept that person for what they are.

I think we're ready to begin.

What gives them the right to demand I accept their way of life, what gives them the right to forces their values and ideals down the throats of those who may not agree with their lifestyle? I have my rights too.

Alternatively you can do what the rest of us do and move on with life knowing that in reality the marriage to two guys or women you don't know has absolutely no baring on your life.

I have never met people so determined to get angry over an act that doesn't affect them in any way shape or form, I could perhaps understand it if there was a potential negative aspect to it (as there would be in allowing incest or child pornography) but in this case you are dealing with the actions of two consenting adults in the privacy of their own homes.

So whats next banning everything but missionary sex because those dodgy Romans were into kinky stuff and hey there civilisation collapsed into degeneracy, how far do we go to make society "normal"?

Last edited:
Alternatively you can do what the rest of us do and move on with life knowing that in reality the marriage to two guys or women you don't know has absolutely no baring on your life.
Apathy

Is it ignorance or apathy? Hell, I don't know nor do I care.

The death of democracy is not likely to be an assasination from ambush. but more likely a slow extinction from apathy and indifference to that which is right.

Apathetics Unite! ... next week.

Last edited:
Back