California Overturns Gay Marriage

Lol TOG, I just beat you by a minute on the reply! So the general train of thought is: infertile = not normal= you are not allowed to marry.... It does seem kind of silly, doesn't it?

I said it before ... and I'll say it again .......

Being against gay marriage ... is (plain and simple), homophobia at it's worst .....

ho·mo·pho·bi·a [homə fṓbee ə]
n
irrational hatred of homosexuality: an irrational hatred, disapproval, or fear of homosexuality, homosexual men and lesbians, and their culture

[Mid-20th century. Coined from homosexual + -phobia .]

Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

The above definition says it all ... all the rest is the bigotry of the religious right *may they be judged worse than those they have judged*.

{This is the part of religion that turns me off}.

Okay, let me rephrase that: does it make them any less?

No. You inferred that infertility was normal. I merely pointed out it isn't.

So by the logic leveled here anyone who is infertile should not be allowed to marry?

Does not seem to be a very logical statement to me. Although from my post it could be assumed that I do not believe infertile gay couples should be allowed to marry.

I said it before ... and I'll say it again .......

Being against gay marriage ... is (plain and simple), homophobia at it's worst .....

"Because gay marriage does not meet the standards of marriage I believe in you feel the need to label me." Chukpike

The above definition says it all ... all the rest is the bigotry of the religious right *may they be judged worse than those they have judged*.

{This is the part of religion that turns me off}.

For such a liberal I am surprised that you are such a bigot. I am not a very religious person and don't attend church. If you don't believe your statement about the religious right is bigoted please enlighten me as to what bigot means.

Liberals always seem to be champions of free speech until some one disagrees with them.

It didn't take long,... all of the old catch phrases are coming out here, Homophobe, bigot etc.

In this case a bigot is no more than someone who happens to disagree with the first persons views. Usually used when that person has no further logical evidence to support their argument.

A person who has a dislike of antisocial behaviour can hardly be described as a "bigot" for stating that fact. As I've said or alluded to, two or three times, homosexuality is akin to picking one's nose and eating it,... there is little logical reason why it should not be done, but that is the social expectation in a civilised society.

First they banned paedophilia, next they want to stop homosexuality,... where oh where will it all end, at this rate, we'll soon have no freedoms at all.

Expectations of civilised behaviour is a real b@stard ain't it?? Ooooh, for the old freedoms, being an old Navy man I was never averse to a bit of "Rum, Sodomy and the Lash",... NOT!

Last edited:
A person who has a dislike of antisocial behaviour can hardly be described as a "bigot" for stating that fact. As I've said or alluded to, two or three times, homosexuality is akin to picking one's nose and eating it,... there is little logical reason why it should not be done, but that is the social expectation in a civilised society.

A person having a dislike is indeed not a bigot, that is why I left it outside the discussion. What I would like to know is: on what grounds do you call it anti-social behaviour? Because you dislike something doesn't make it anti-social.
Secondly, what do you call civilized? There have been plenty of societies, that we call civilized, where homosexuality was quite normal. For instance; the Romans, Greek, feudal Japan.
So if you have a problem with gay marriage and you oppose this... fine by me. But making your dislike a wide spread communal thought, that is something else.

"Then the LORD God said, 'It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.'" Genesis 2:18

"For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh." Genesis 2:24

As we all know I'm not religious, but this comes right out of yall's Bible
I found nothing stateing that a man should leave his parents and be joined with his husband.

Persoanlly I couldn't care less what they do behind their closed doors, just don't go into detail while I'm eating my lunch.

And Kavesk has a good point: what if a man or woman is infertile? Does this make him abnormal too?

Actually, it does. Infertility is not normal.

Being lesbian or homosexual is also abnormal. The only real purpose for sexual contact is reproduction. Sex was made pleasurable so men, women and animals will want to reproduce.

Because lesbians or homosexuals cannot, do not wish to, relate to the opposite sex for the purpose of reproduction that is abnormal.

These are undeniable facts.

If you want to the diminish marraige to two persons and make it less about family then say so.

Ok, I agree with you that its not normal in the biological way. But neither is keeping people that is dead alive in the hospital, or people that have lost their legs or cant go to live. But human has made this posible and normal, and we have made it possible that women that have difficulties having children can get help eith it and get children. So most of the things that happen in to days society is not normal in the biologially way, but we humans make it normal.

And if scientists get to search on stemcells, they would most likely get the chanse to make a female stemcell turn into a spermcell, wich means that two girls can get a child togheter and both be the biologically mother.

Last edited:
"Then the LORD God said, 'It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.'" Genesis 2:18

"For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh." Genesis 2:24

I found nothing stateing that a man should leave his parents and be joined with his husband.

Persoanlly I couldn't care less what they do behind their closed doors, just don't go into detail while I'm eating my lunch.
Part 1- My book says nothing of the sort.

Part 2- Unless you plan on attending the reception, why be against marriage? You can be against pride parades but why blow it all off?

Why should the bible get a say in this?! I dont really get it, ok people are religious, but the whole world aint! And the world shouldn't be run on a religious base! It was in the middleages in Europe and we all know what happened there! And the bible was written a long, long, long time ago, and is belived to be the "word of God", and we're really so stubid that we let stuff from the bible get into politics?! Religion and politics has nothing to do with each other! And in Genesis it stands that to daugthers got their dad drunk and slept with him, is that right? Since it stands in the bible I mean..

But since you've gotten into it it says in the bible that noone is different, not the men or the women, theyre all the like in the ecclesia (somewhere in one of Pauls letters), so dosen't that mean that no one is diffrent or to be trated that way?

Your promise is worth nothing when reality is involved. I notice you say, "Maybe" Yeah,... well I say, "and maybe they will see the truth and see it for what it is worth, men making out they are women and women making out they are men".

But the reality is that homosexuality is getting more and more accepted! Wich means if we're repeating history (wich we are), homosexuality is going to be completely normal, not maby soon, but it will.

But the reality is that homosexuality is getting more and more accepted! Wich means if we're repeating history (wich we are), homosexuality is going to be completely normal, not maby soon, but it will.
Like 90% of this fad we are experiencing called Political correctness, it will eventually disappear. As I pointed out in my earlier post, many countries who were at the forefront of these stupid ideas are now trying madly to stop them and if possible reverse the ill effects.

The only real reason that it appears to be accepted by some, is that they don't wish to be branded a "bigot" or "homophobe", as if that implies something bad. These words are merely names with no real impact, I have said many times in this debate in a number of threads. "I personally do not like Brocolli, does that necessarily make me a 'Brocolliphobe", and does that word have any derogatory associations,... of course the answer is, No"!

When it is accepted by the majority then it can be changed. Since the original post is about marriage in California. It can be introduced on a proposition and voted on.

In a year when the democratic candidate (Obama) overwhelmingly wins the state and he recommended the defeat of this proposition why did it pass? Because even a large segment of his voters did not believe that gay marriage was a right.

Why should the bible get a say in this?! I dont really get it, ok people are religious, but the whole world aint! And the world shouldn't be run on a religious base!quote]

Marriage stemming more from religious roots than government, the question more rightly should be why is the state involved.
Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

It seems the government has gotten involved where it has no business. Obviously not the first time, as Utah and the Mormon's where forced to give up certain religious freedoms to become a state.

Part 2- Unless you plan on attending the reception, why be against marriage? You can be against pride parades but why blow it all off?

Part 1. Yeah, Cliff Notes will do that to you.

Part 2. Not against marriage. Just gay and lesbian marriage. Might go to the reception as "those people" know how to party!

The whole strategy of the No on Proposition 8 campaign was to make it an issue about "rights". They did not want voters to think about family values or what marriage is really about. They new there was not even a slim chance of defeating it if people considered marriage as the issue. The majority of the public was not fooled.

Even the majority of the responders to this topic only seem interested in discussing the issue as pro or anti gay rights. If it was really a rights issue don't you think the pro group would be rushing to the US Supreme Court.

A person having a dislike is indeed not a bigot, that is why I left it outside the discussion. What I would like to know is: on what grounds do you call it anti-social behaviour? Because you dislike something doesn't make it anti-social.
Anti social, by definition and expectation, is offensive behaviour that is outside the norms of the majority. It comes back to my old argument, "Do you pick your nose and eat it in public"?
Secondly, what do you call civilized? There have been plenty of societies, that we call civilized, where homosexuality was quite normal. For instance; the Romans, Greek, feudal Japan.
So if you have a problem with gay marriage and you oppose this... fine by me. But making your dislike a wide spread communal thought, that is something else.
Why is it something else? And also, I am not making it widespread, I am just reporting the fact, that it is already widespread. I can't make anything, I am but one man with one man's opinion. You are getting way, waaaay ahead of yourself.

Civilization, per se is not a static thing, it is a progression, where we become more civilized as we advance (if we care to advance). In the great Roman civilization, they also held games where they slaughted humans for the entertainment of the masses, don't talk to me of the ancient civilizations. They were only civilized by the expectations of their time, today they would be regarded as both backward and degenerate. Hopefully we are moving forward from those times. It has even been suggested that it was this social and moral decline that you seem to admire, that bought about the end of these so called "civilized" societies. What you are advocating could well take our civilized societies closer to going down the same path.

The very idea of "Civilisation", being that we learn for our previous mistakes,... not try to repeat them.

Last edited:

TOG your right about part 1 I have a Bible right in front of me now and this is what Genesis 2:18 says
And the Lord God said "It is not good that a man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him."

Part 2 is exactly as it is my my Bible

the Book was printed in 1982 King James version by Thomas Nelson, Inc.

I'm not against them getting married, I neither condone it nor dam it, if its a some sin against a God, then its on them not me. I have enough to worry about in my life than worry about what sombody I don't even know is doing.

Why should the bible get a say in this?! I dont really get it, ok people are religious, but the whole world aint! And the world shouldn't be run on a religious base! It was in the middleages in Europe and we all know what happened there! And the bible was written a long, long, long time ago, and is belived to be the "word of God", and we're really so stubid that we let stuff from the bible get into politics?! Religion and politics has nothing to do with each other! And in Genesis it stands that to daugthers got their dad drunk and slept with him, is that right? Since it stands in the bible I mean..

But since you've gotten into it it says in the bible that noone is different, not the men or the women, theyre all the like in the ecclesia (somewhere in one of Pauls letters), so dosen't that mean that no one is diffrent or to be trated that way?

Well for one I don't think religion and politics should EVER be in the same place at the same time.
I know the whole world ain't religious, thats why I put that there and said its y'alls Bible, I'm one of the ones you say ain't religious.
but if your secone paragraph is correct about one of Paul's letters saying were all the same, and to be treated that way, then theres gonna be a lot of religious people in hell anyway.

I know whats right for me, the whole Man+woman=couple things makes perfect sense to me, espically since thats the only way to ensure the continuance of the species, since last time I checked Bill can't get Ted pregnant while their on the excelent adventure.

(Not you Ted)

Lets face it the use of the bible as a reference to anything other than mans weakness and gullibility is a strong indication of a weak argument, the simple fact that not even the religions who believe in this god can tolerate each other or come up with a united front indicates failure of the highest magnitude.

If we genuinely believe in universal equality then we have to assume that all people are equal regardless of differences from the norm therefore all that is left to determine is whether there are any negative aspects for society as a whole in allowing homosexuals to marry and to be honest I just can't see any (they are still going to work, pay taxes and follow the laws of the land). The main problem I have with the "anti-gay" argument here is that not one of those arguments has been compelling in terms of tangible fact as to what the downside of recognising gay marriage is.

Lets face it the use of the bible as a reference to anything other than mans weakness and gullibility is a strong indication of a weak argument, the simple fact that not even the religions who believe in this god can tolerate each other or come up with a united front indicates failure of the highest magnitude.

If we genuinely believe in universal equality then we have to assume that all people are equal regardless of differences from the norm therefore all that is left to determine is whether there are any negative aspects for society as a whole in allowing homosexuals to marry and to be honest I just can't see any (they are still going to work, pay taxes and follow the laws of the land). The main problem I have with the "anti-gay" argument here is that not one of those arguments has been compelling in terms of tangible fact as to what the downside of recognising gay marriage is.

the whole downside is that the "religious right" thinks that everything is cut and dry as it is written in the "holy book". I just think its funny to throw the bible in just for a different perspective on stuff.

Last edited:
the whole downside is that the "religious right" thinks that everything has to be a certain way, and the bible is cut and dry, if its not from the bible then its not holy and we'll all brun in hell if we live that way

Well here is a question for you:
If the religious right is right then do you want to agree with them in order to spend an eternity with them?

Personally the thought of spending an eternity with all these self-righteous pricks would be enough for me to volunteer for hell.

im getting in late on this one but let me just put my views in for the heck of it:
I admit I am homophobic. Dont like looking at two man kissing, dont like to hear about that, dont like the whole festival around the gay community.

HOWEVER, and this is a big one- Marriage is a personal decision to live with the person you love. Its not anyones, espcially the states, buissines who people marry. As long as both sides are mature adults that is.

Also as far as adoption...I dont think having two dads or two moms is the geatest thing, but its not the worse. There are plenty of things that go wrong in hetrosexual families, that **** up the kids for good. I will never stop feeling the mental results of my parents ugly divorce. Adoption should be based on the people- are they kind, can they support the kid finnancialy, etc. If you think a fully functional 16 year old will become gay inspite of his natural instincts, you are strange to me. Gay people are born gay they are not made gay.

Back