Seals vs. Marines

--

January 19th, 2004  
diplomatic_means

Topic: Seals vs. Marines

Ok so I'm no guru but what is the difference in purpose and training between a Navy Seal and a Marine? Which is considered more elite? What is the difference between the types of operations they will be deployed to? thanks.
January 19th, 2004  
FutureRANGER

Well I'm no expert about either but I can tell you this much.

The Marines are a whole branch of military. They are a basic ground fighting force, the infantry.

Navy SEALS are special forces of the Navy. They are elite, and go through extensive special training. This is a really cool site you can learn about them from. http://www.navyseals.com/community/main.cfm
January 19th, 2004  
GuyontheRight

The difference? It costs 1 million of the taxpayers money for each seal

No but seriously, SEALs are much more specialized then the marines, there are only a few thousand of 'em. And as Ranger said, Marines are a whole Branch, I mean, it depends on what kind of marine unit your talking about. You got you MEUs and your Force Recons, your armored units and field artillery.
--
January 19th, 2004  
SHERMAN

Topic: thousends?

I dont know mucj about USA special forces, but i think its ccloser to a few houndred Seals....about a bettalion...any ways, Marines are like Army infantry that started out as snipers and ship boarders in the navy and became seaborn infantry...They are considers better the regular grunts, but definetly not Special Forces...I think the seals are more like the British Commando?again, im not sure. Israel dosent have marines....We have tankstankstankstankstankstankstankstankstankstanks tankstanks!!!!
January 19th, 2004  
diplomatic_means

Ok so the SEALs are maritime counterparts to the Green Berets. So then what differs them from the green berets if the SEALs are Sea, Air and Land trained elite fighters? Whats left for the Green Berets to do?
January 19th, 2004  
GuyontheRight

Actually it's closer to 2000 I think.

Quote:
Ok but I was thinking they are both trained to do amphibious landings and hold ground on the shores until the troops can arrive. Am I wrong?
SEALs work in very small teams, and can have a number of SOF mission profiles, so yes I suppose so. Although in todays military the USMC is more of a land based, elite, large unit fighting force. I dont know how many of youknow much about Roman Legions, but the Romans often had specialized "elite" legions if you will. Call the marines that.
January 19th, 2004  
Redneck

Why don't you just ask Jarhead or one of the other Marine members? I'm sure he could give some solid information.
January 19th, 2004  
diplomatic_means

Sorry GuyontheRight I changed my question after reading the SEALs sight. Please address the new question.
January 19th, 2004  
Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by diplomatic_means
Ok so the SEALs are maritime counterparts to the Green Berets. So then what differs them from the green berets if the SEALs are Sea, Air and Land trained elite fighters? Whats left for the Green Berets to do?

The Green Berets operate in 18 man A-teams and are often the only American boots on the ground in a foreign country. One of their main missions is to act as a force multiplier, wherein they train indigenous forces to fight for/with the United States.
Another big difference between the Green Berets and the SEALs is where they operate. The whole Navy thing probably tipped you off, but the SEALs work mostly in coastal and riverine areas (usually in 30 man teams), while the Green Berets can operate further inland.
These two forces are not mutually exclusive however, their missions can and do overlap.

(And the Marines, whatever they may tell you , are not elite. Their Force Recon is comparable to our Rangers. But like I said before, we have several Marine members, and I'm sure they could give you a hand if you had any other questions about the USMC.)
January 19th, 2004  
GuyontheRight

Also, SEALs tend to work more Direct Action then your Green Berets. I think you could make more of a comparison beetween SEALs and Delta Force then SEALs and Gren Berets.

And Redneck, I guess it depends on your deffinition of "elite", but I do and have heard others who belive the marines are "elite". I guess what i was trying to say is that they can do more then your avarage infantry, call them the Navy's version of the Airborne.