USC vs. OSU

I think I've already covered in this thread how the politics of college football work and that only perennial powers get any love early in the year (hence why 8-0 Texas Tech, a school that has never won anything, is behind one-loss Florida, Georgia and USC amongst others who have a combined... seven national titles) Good teams that aren't perennial powers always have to work their way up through the rankings and it usually takes half a season just to get noticed. Now for people like myself who actually pay attention to teams other than their favorite school, Texas Tech isn't that much of a surprise, they've been lighting up opposing defenses with their spread offense system for years, what is surprising is that Tech's defense is actually holding opponents under 40 ponts a game this year. Ohio State was the number 2 team in the nation according to the pre-season polls but their offense has been shut down in their only two games against top ten opponents.
Uh... Undefeated against teams like Southern Methodist and Eastern Washington and out of conference Massachusetts is NOT worthy of any type of high ranking... The best team Texas Tech has played so far is Kansas, and they're number 23. Big whoop. Texas Tech doesn't deserve to be in front of Georgia, because a loss to Alabama is much more impressive than to be undefeated against Texas A&M... PS, Alabama has 12 national titles... That's more than Texas last time I looked, if you want to bring the national title into it...Hell, Texas Tech hasn't even been a part of the conference for that long... Almost all their conference titles have been with the Border Intercollegiate. And everyone hates Ohio State and USC anyway... I wouldn't argue with putting Texas Tech above them... Those are the only teams (note, not SEC that really don't deserve Top 10 satus this year.) And, if you really wanna talk politics of football... Let's talk about the ONLY conference that splits all bowl money earned equally to EVERY team in it's conference. I'll give you a hint, it's DEFINITELY NOT the Big-12.

Plus, the main reason Georgia wasn't number 1 when BAMA beat them is because USC is ALWAYS and FOREVER going to be a Top 10 team... They're the ones who really piss me off. Georgia didn't lose a game to drop a ranking, and we still fell. Georgia SHOULD have still been number 1. And please, tell me where I was proving your point... I fail to see YOUR logic.

Last edited:
Approximate Conference Rankings

1. Big 12 (14 Points)
  2. SEC (90 Points)
  3. ACC (330 Points)
  4. Mountain West (353 Points)
  5. Big Ten (396 Points)
  6. Pacific 10 (630 Points)
  7. Big East (884 Points)
  8. WAC (911 Points)
  9. MAC (975 Points)
  10. Conference USA (983 Points)
  11. Sun Belt (1040 Points)
Combined number of the AP rank of top 5 teams in conference (unranked gets a 26) minus number of teams in the conference in the top 15 multiplied by the SI conference rank (unranked teams get eight) minus number of teams in BCS top 25. Subtract 10 points for BCS Conferences.

So... I guess the Big 12 really is best. For now.

Approximate Conference Rankings

1. Big 12 (14 Points)
  2. SEC (90 Points)
  3. ACC (330 Points)
  4. Mountain West (353 Points)
  5. Big Ten (396 Points)
  6. Pacific 10 (630 Points)
  7. Big East (884 Points)
  8. WAC (911 Points)
  9. MAC (975 Points)
  10. Conference USA (983 Points)
  11. Sun Belt (1040 Points)
Combined number of the AP rank of top 5 teams in conference (unranked gets a 26) minus number of teams in the conference in the top 15 multiplied by the SI conference rank (unranked teams get eight) minus number of teams in BCS top 25. Subtract 10 points for BCS Conferences.

So... I guess the Big 12 really is best. For now.
I'd put BAMA over anyone in the Big 12. I'd put Georgia (now) over anyone in the Big 12. I'd put Vanderbilt over anyone in the Big 12... The list goes on. Da da dum de dum dum.

I'd put BAMA over anyone in the Big 12. I'd put Georgia (now) over anyone in the Big 12. I'd put Vanderbilt over anyone in the Big 12... The list goes on. Da da dum de dum dum.

Do remember that rankings figure heavily into that.... I happen to agree with your first statement.

I'll probably redo it every week... just for sh*ts and giggles.

In the Big 12, I honestly think that Texas is a really good team. However, after them and Oklahoma it gets pretty thin very fast.

Last edited:
I'll probably redo it every week... just for sh*ts and giggles.

In the Big 12, I honestly think that Texas is a really good team. However, after them and Oklahoma it gets pretty thin very fast.
Agreed. And no one's debating that... Just what you said, after about the top 2 or 3, it starts to really go downhill. And the SEC, you can keep going for a while. Especially these past few years... Vandy has become such a strong team, that's just one more to add to the list...

Ok, so the longhorns lost :( hey even the BEST sometimes lose....sigh...maybe next time...until then still a fan!!

The Texas Game was amazing. Just as a football game, it will be a classic.

Now, here is my question... USC has beaten all Washington Teams 125-0, yet we still went down in the BCS rankings? I guess we should have tried to run the score even more.

As a matter of fact, for the season our score is 322-51.... Oh well...

Last edited:
Because they're not as difficult games as Texas plays, or Alabama plays. You must remember, Georgia went down at the beginning of the year just cause... We didn't lose... But still dropped. Such is the flaw of rankings.

Wait and see if the Longhorns can get back to number 2 or 1 if TTU or Penn St. lost to the Sooners and Hawkeyes.

Hook'em!

Penn State won't lose... They've played too well this season... And at this point, Texas Tech is riding momentum that would carry them to the moon if need be. Sorry Foxy, I don't see it happening for Texas this year.

Back