USC vs. OSU

The SEC and Big XII are just murdering each other right now, Penn State should finish undefeated and by beating OSU they all but locked up a spot in the title game since I have a hard time believing neither Alabama or Texas will falter with how many tough games they have left, don't forget that both those teams will have to play a conference championship game even if they win out the regular season, and even if Texas and Texas Tech lose two games OU still goes to the title game if they win out. Florida and Georgia could both still sneak into the big game too. All in all the race is far more exciting then it looked lit was going to be a couple weeks ago. Here's my opinion on who still has a shot at the title game and their chances. (Bold indicates likelihood of appearing in title game.)

Texas - Still has to play Texas Tech and Kansas on the road, then has to beat either Missouri, Nebraska or Kansas in Kansas City. 45%
Alabama - Plays LSU in the bayou in two weeks, then plays either Georgia or Florida. 50%
Penn State - When Iowa gets the ball rolling they're tough to stop and they have one of the best defenses in the Big Ten, if Penn State's going to lose it will be in Iowa City in two weeks, but that's a big if. 95%
Oklahoma - The Callahan hangover isn't through yet, Nebraska gets a moral victory if they keep OU under 60 points, OU gets the win either way, but OU still needs to beat Texas Tech and Ok State as well as seeing Texas lose twice just to get a shot at the Big XII title. 2%
Texas Tech - Texas, Oklahoma State, @ Oklahoma, Texas Tech may be heading towards a 4,000 yard passer this year, but they have a murderous three games ahead of them, still having Texas and OK State at home will help. 10%
USC- Too much talent ahead of them and a weak conference combined with that loss to Oregon State ensures that USC's chances of playing for the title are essentially nill. 1%
Florida - Still has to play at Georgia and at Florida State in addition to an SEC title game against either LSU or Alabama, if Florida wins out they could still see themselves sitting in fourth or fifth in the BCS standings at season's end. 5%
Georgia - Has to overcome Florida, Georgia Tech and an SEC title game, same story as above.5%
Utah and Boise State - Sorry boys, have to be in a BCS conference to play for the title, not fair but reality rarely is. 0%

This season is putting me in a couple of really uncomfortable positions.

First off, yes I think Texas will destroy Texas Tech. However I do hope and pray that they lose, along with Alabama. I need USC to get into the National Championship along with Penn State else the Rose Bowl will be a repeat of this thread's subject, and I do not want an encore presentation. And besides, I think Penn State could win that game.

Best undefeated team: Texas. As much as I hate to say it, no one has even really challenged them yet this year, except Oklahoma State.
Best one loss team: Florida. I think they'll beat Georgia on Saturday but they are ranked too low to make the National Championship. Plus they won't win the conference.
Best two loss team: Ohio State. Those two losses came to teams ranked #1 and #3, one of them by 7 points. And they kicked the sh*t out of #17 and #21.
Biggest surprise so far: Minnesota. They're 7-1! This team's won more games this year than the last 3 combined.
Biggest disappointment: Clemson. Just... oy.

National Championship: Penn State vs. Texas or USC

Fox said:
Watch it, buddy. Georgia copied the logos for their helmets from the Green Bay Packers' logos. Copycats. And no NFL and NCAAF teams copy the Longhorns' logos on their helmets.

:mrgreen:
Excuse me?! OK, what happened was, the Packers came up with the original logo, then Georgia liked it, so we asked if we could adopt it, and we made some changes. NOW the Packers G actually looks more like Georgia's G. They stole the whole oval idea thing from the Dawgs. THANK YOU.

Ok, TOG, I agree with most of it, but there are a few changes I'd like to make... I honestly think Georgia will beat Florida. After the loss to Alabama, I think a fire has been lit under UGA's backside. Every year, Georgia has a pivotal game midseason, and it's normally the game we HAD to win... It's unfortunate, but it happens. Take last year, we lost to Tennessee, and then were on FIRE the rest of the season. And then, we lost any chances, because TENN is the ONE team we had to beat to have a title chance, and we lost... I think it's a similar situation this year. We lost to BAMA, and now we won't lose for the rest of the season, but this time, we still have a chance at the title, because BAMA is going to win the SEC West. I'll put money on that. The East is still up for grabs.

And, as much as I hate to say it, I think Alabama is the best undefeated team... They play in the SEC, which is world above the rest as it is. They've also played the pre-season number 1 team in the country and won... That's quite a challege in my book to overcome.

Last edited:
And Texas beat the team sitting in the number 1 spot while blowing out the rest of their opponents, in a conference that has four teams in the top 10 where those teams have zero losses to foes outside of their division. Your SEC pwns all argument doesn't work this year, last three years no problem, this year the Big XII is king and the SEC is a close second.

And Texas beat the team sitting in the number 1 spot while blowing out the rest of their opponents, in a conference that has four teams in the top 10 where those teams have zero losses to foes outside of their division. Your SEC pwns all argument doesn't work this year, last three years no problem, this year the Big XII is king and the SEC is a close second.
Uhm... Texas IS the number one team.... But whatever...And the only reason any SEC team has losses is in conference games, minus Auburn, Arkansas, and Missippi State... We're undefeated out of conference too... Thanks for the credit. And the SEC has 3 teams in the top 10... Who gives a crap? The SEC pwns all theory STILL applies. Just another little tid bit to go with it all, the SEC only has 4 more losses than the Big 12, and that's including teams like Arkansas, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Auburn...

Georgia was not sitting in the number 1 spot when Alabama beat them, Oklahoma was in the number 1 spot in both polls when Texas beat them. But please, keep listing statistics that only further to prove my point while also pointing out that both conference have great teams and terrible teams alike.

The SEC is definitely better than the Big 12, regardless of rankings. Heck, the Big 10 is better than the Big 12, which is Texas, Oklahoma, and 10 other teams who haven't played anyone any good yet, and their ranks reflect it. Texas Tech is 8-0 but ranked SEVENTH.

The SEC is definitely better than the Big 12, regardless of rankings. Heck, the Big 10 is better than the Big 12, which is Texas, Oklahoma, and 10 other teams who haven't played anyone any good yet, and their ranks reflect it. Texas Tech is 8-0 but ranked SEVENTH.

I think I've already covered in this thread how the politics of college football work and that only perennial powers get any love early in the year (hence why 8-0 Texas Tech, a school that has never won anything, is behind one-loss Florida, Georgia and USC amongst others who have a combined... seven national titles) Good teams that aren't perennial powers always have to work their way up through the rankings and it usually takes half a season just to get noticed. Now for people like myself who actually pay attention to teams other than their favorite school, Texas Tech isn't that much of a surprise, they've been lighting up opposing defenses with their spread offense system for years, what is surprising is that Tech's defense is actually holding opponents under 40 ponts a game this year. Ohio State was the number 2 team in the nation according to the pre-season polls but their offense has been shut down in their only two games against top ten opponents.

But congratulations for really sticking your foot in your mouth here, by first saying rankings don't matter and following that up by saying the rankings matter. Rankings which by the way show the Big 12 as being stronger than the SEC. But the part where the Big Ten, with one top ten team and four total top 25 teams, is supposedly stronger than the Big 12 is where you really stumble. I can't really follow your logic on this where where the Big Ten's teams (ranked 3, 13, 20 and 21) are overwhelmingly better than the Big 12's teams (ranked 1, 4, 5, 10 and 14). The only reason people are saying the Big 12 is down is because Nebraska still isn't Nebraska and without the perennial powers in play the major conferences (except the Pac-10 apparently) are always considered to be having down years when teams other than say Oklahoma and Nebraska are playing for the title in the Big 12.

Back