The 2nd Amendment and criminals.

I will not respond to trolling. Clear enough?
I don't troll, but I do recognise a "Cop out" when I see it.

You will find that this is not a particularly happy place for the credibility of those with "opinions" that can't be substantiated with credible sources.

Last edited:
MontyB: I was responding to Yossarian, I will not get into an emotional debate with you, sorry. Next time use better bait when you troll.

Can I make a suggestion, if you don't want responses you disagree with then perhaps sending Yossarian a Private Message will assuage your sensitivities but short of that should you decide to spout absolutes in a public forum you should be aware that you more than likely will receive unwanted responses.

Now how about we try civil discussion?

I will not respond to trolling. Clear enough?
Boy, nothing like a newbie to tell folks that have been here a long time what to do and how to do it.

Yo homie, dig- Monty is NOT a troll. And you are exceedingly brash. When you post in the open forums, expect others to step in when they feel like it.

If you don't like that then that's just too bad. Clear enough?

Seehund: I would like to ask you a few questions. First I would like to assure you I have a great deal of respect for you and your country and the statistics you quote are indeed impressive. Now, to my questions:

Are members of the Home Guard allowed to have a store of ammunition for their weapons in their home? If so, is there a limit on the amount?
Are HG members allowed to take their weapons--at their discretion--and go shooting for practice or does marksmanship practice have to be supervised by government officials?
Thank you for the information on your country, it sounds like a very pleasant place to live.

It sounds like I live in a wonderland. We obviously have the same problems as all other countries, but weapons-related crime is not something we see every day. When that happens it is usually gang related to the drug environment. It is also extremely rare for the police to use deadly force.

Until the dissolution of the Soviet Union the HG members had, if you were a Rifleman, 100 live rounds stored in their home and 500 if you had an LMG. Partly because of détente between east and west and partly of logistics-related reasons the ammunition is now returned to the depot. Once a year the Company had to check that weapons and ammunition were stored according to regulations and it was too expensive to continue with that after the threat from the east were minimized.

The Company Commander may order the extradition of live ammunition without seeking permission from someone higher in the system if he assess that there is an immediate threat against Denmark. There were a few who did so on 9/11-2001.

Shooting with military weapons can only take place on military firing ranges. But all officers and NCOs in a HG Company can through an online system book time on a range when it suits them. All it requires is that there is a shooting range safety officer or NCO present during the shooting. All HG Company’s have someone who is trained as such. Otherwise, this service can be purchased at the military unit responsible for the range.

BTW. It is actually legal for members of the Guard to use public transport in combat fatigues and carrying their arms fully visible.

Thanks Seehund.

Now to all of you senior members who I offended in my earlier posts, especially MontyB and Seno, my apologies. I actually welcome dissent in the arena of ideas and opinions, I was just a bit taken aback when told to back up my personal experience and observation as a law enforcement officer with facts and figures, so instead I demonstrated my ability to make a jackass of myself.

In the interest of good sportsmanship, this one is for MontyB.

Try as I might I could not find any statistical data regarding the amount of crime deterred by armed citizens. These kind of items are usually found in the local press where they occurred. There doesn't appear to be a database that collects these particular statistics.

As to direct experience as a LEO. In my 16 years behind the badge there were at least a dozen cases of homeowners breaking up burglaries and preventing entry to their residence through the use of firearms (brandishing, racking a round in the chamber, buttstroke to suspect's head, etc.) When I worked Homicide I investigated one case where a woman's abusive, estranged husband broke into her home and kicked down her bedroom door before she shot him dead. The county attorney ruled that justified.

Now, some facts and figures from the FBI, CDC, and Census bureau (2005 and 2007.)

Total number of gun deaths in the US: 30,000 (2005)

Number of suicides with guns: 14,700 (48%.)( Sweden has a higher suicide rate, but no guns.)(FBI 2005)

Number of Homicides with guns: 16,300 (from all causes including criminals using guns in the commission of crime, accidental deaths while hunting or target practicing, and law enforcement officers using deadly force--yes, they are ruled homicides.)(FBI 2005)

According to the FBI, violent crimes, including gun crimes, decreased significantly in the mid 90s (they didn't quantify "significantly") and have remained stable since then, even though both population and gun ownership have increased during that same time frame. Accidental gun deaths have decreased 90% in the last 100 years in the face of increased population and gun ownership.

Here are a few facts from the Census department (2007) regarding the causes of accidental deaths in the US: 39% automobiles; 18% poision; 16% falls; 0.6% firearms. Deaths from medical mistakes are three times more frequent than accidental firearms deaths.

The US has a population of 308,000,000 (Census 2010). Of this total approximately 30,000 people died in some sort of firearm related manner in 2005 (including 14,700 suicides by gun. I use the 308,000,000 number because there was no census in 2005, I understand that throws my numbers off slightly, but not significantly.) 16,300 of these were homicides. Assuming that the FBI is correct about this being a relatively stable number, homicide represents 0.000053% per year. That's 53 ten-thoudandths of one percent.

Last year 2,423,712 people died in the US from all causes. This is also a fairly stable number. Firearms related deaths including suicides accounted for 0.012% of that total. That's 12 hundredths of one percent.

Perhaps these statistics will allow our European and Commonwealth members some perspective about the true dimensions of our "gun problem" here in the US. Is it okay that 16,300 people per year (give or take a hundred or so) end up on the wrong side of a bullet or shotgun blast from criminality, stupidity or just plain bad-luck? That isn't my argument. It isn't a "good" thing, but personally, I can live with it.

Last edited:
We just had our first murder spree in Holland, performed by a very disturbed, law-abiding 24 year old (at least law-abiding till the moment he randomly started killing people) with guns he had licenses for. Hence my point, didn't he have a single gun at home, he could not have done this! Disturbed people sometimes kill people, the fewer tools they have to do it with, the smaller the chance they will actually do it. But this is all too late for his victims...

Now to all of you senior members who I offended in my earlier posts, especially MontyB and Seno, my apologies. I actually welcome dissent in the arena of ideas and opinions, I was just a bit taken aback when told to back up my personal experience and observation as a law enforcement officer with facts and figures, so instead I demonstrated my ability to make a jackass of myself.
...and in doing so you proved to us you are a cop. Welcome aboard. I guess.

Try as I might I could not find any statistical data regarding the amount of crime deterred by armed citizens. These kind of items are usually found in the local press where they occurred. There doesn't appear to be a database that collects these particular statistics.
You could have found some data by contacting the JPFO and GOA. If you had tried them, two fine law-abiding American Civil Rights organizations, you would have found something. But you didn't. You know how I know?
http://gunowners.org/fs0404.htm
And if that isn't enough, all you have to do is call the GOA and ask for Larry Pratt. He'll be more than glad to help you. The data is there. May not have every piece that you want, but it is there.

As to direct experience as a LEO.
Then your experience should verify that cops rarely STOP crime acts that are being committed, instead you clean up what's left and look for the perp. Restraining orders are only paper. Not some majical "Superman" that will force perps to obey or make bullets bounce away. Sadly I know too many cops that actually believe that. Point the truth out to them and they'll agree, only to say "but it'll make the penalty much harsher". Pardon me, but F "harsh penalties". When you're dead or your wife is dead (or perhaps both?) or worse, disabled, what good is that "restraining order"? None whatsoever. "Oh, but they're going to prison a lot longer than before, though!" What value is sending someone to prison for murdering you, when you should have killed that SOB from the get-go? Make it easier for the cops? Oh wah.

Listen, I have a permanent restraining order issued against a man and he violated it twice. What did the cops do? Visualize a man performing self-gratuitous sex on himself and you'll get the idea. If I had a gun I would have killed him. And the cops know that, which is why I'm not allowed guns (strange to hear, especially in America, but quite true). And when I vowed that I'll use whatever weapon I can get my hands on, to defend myself from a man I have a permanent restraining order against, they threatened to arrest me.

So, do criminals have rights? Yeah, like anyone else. Should they have access to guns? If they want them, they'll find them. So who cares? If they break the law with one, hopefully there'll be enough armed people to set that criminal straight.

Envision a Burger King hold up. I'm recalling one out of California about 12 years back. Black wanna-be-a gangsta walks into a BK and tries an armed robbery. Didn't get enough money and he started shooting everyone, and he ended up killing about 10-12 people. If just ONE of those victims had a gun, he might have killed one or two people before meeting the Good Lord Jesus Himself.

Wow....

I did not take allot of you folks for louqacious types.
I don't know what this means (...yet..) and whom did you mean? And I am not even trolling..... ;)

"louquacious" = more or less "loud mouthed", synonyms are blabby, chatty, verbose and voluble

Officially means either

- talking or tending to talk much or freely; talkative; chattering; babbling; garrulous: a loquacious politician

or

- characterized by excessive talk; wordy: the most loquacious correspondent of our agency.

FWIW,

Rattler

Last edited:
"louquacious" = more or less "loud mouthed", synonyms are blabby, chatty, verbose and voluble

Officially means either

- talking or tending to talk much or freely; talkative; chattering; babbling; garrulous: a loquacious politician

or

- characterized by excessive talk; wordy: the most loquacious correspondent of our agency.

FWIW,

Rattler
Well, that does sound like me :)

Back