Its football season!!!

I was at work and didn't get to see the game, but my boss filled me in. We were both shocked. This is BAMA's first loss in what? Three years? Four years? Even the mighty must fall, but to South Carolina? Really?!?!

My Chiefs lost to Indy today. That makes me very sad. :(

Gamecocks strike again hehehe
I know right! Now I don't feel half as bad about losing to them. Muahaha.

Dawgs won big over TENN... Disappointing, really. Now we know what they're truly capable of. :( LOL

BAMA lost. I couldn't believe it. But that South Carolina team just shut them down. It was impressive. It looked like the old Steve Spurrier teams from Florida. I still don't think BAMA should have fallen as far as they did, but I foresee a South Carolina v. BAMA SEC championship game, and whoever wins that game has a great shot at taking it all the way.

The BCS is merely a part of a larger system. One can like the final product without liking every aspect of it. I believe there were 34 bowl games played in the 2009-2010 bowl season, only five of which were BCS games.

Touche. So we're back to no one liking the BCS. Excellent. So, why is it so hard to get it changed to a playoff system? Are people/schools really making THAT much money off it doing it this way?

Touche. So we're back to no one liking the BCS. Excellent. So, why is it so hard to get it changed to a playoff system? Are people/schools really making THAT much money off it doing it this way?
Yes. Why else WOULDN'T they want a playoff system?

This is one of the many reasons I so vehemently support the SEC... The SEC takes all the money from bowl games featuring SEC teams and divides it among ALL SEC teams. Not just the ones who made the bowl games. So, with the SEC, it truly is NOT about the money. They are simply outnumbered against the other conferences who let the schools keep all the money generated by bowl games.

I think all BCS conferences do that, Rob. The team that was actually in the game gets a slightly larger share in the Big Ten and Big XII, but otherwise it is split across all the schools. And at $17 million per participant in the BCS bowls, it is a lot of money. I think the reason schools hesitate to adopt a playoff system is because it would be a much slower pace of play for a playoff. The bowl season is about one month, which would be the same as a 16 team playoff, but all the games in a playoff would be played on weekends where with this system we have almost two weeks of games played daily with a flurry of games on New Year's Day.

And again, most coaches like the bowl system because if you are Southern Miss. you know your only chance to end the season on a win is to win a bowl game because your school has such a low probability of making it to the title game. A bowl win is a powerful recruiting tool and something to build off. Plus the Coaches poll has always voted more in favor of the traditional powers as opposed to the AP poll, so from that we can deduce that most coaches are rather conservative on the issue of change in college football, especially those outside of the two dozen or so teams that would have realistic chances year in and year out to make the playoffs.

Keep in mind these are schools first and foremost, athletics should be secondary to academics. Is more games really a good thing, especially around finals? Keep in mind only 1% of these players will play so much as one snap in the NFL. Perhaps the regular season should end before the second week of December, so as not to interfere with academics, with the playoffs starting in the third week, after finals are completed at most schools.

First BAMA, now OSU lost....I think I'd be a little leery of being ranked number one. LOL My Irish won!! Woot woot!! I wish I'd seen that Arkansas-Auburn game. 65-43. Wow. South Carolina lost, Texas lost, Florida lost for the second straight game, Hawaii is kicking Nevada's butt right now.....

First BAMA, now OSU lost....I think I'd be a little leery of being ranked number one. LOL My Irish won!! Woot woot!! I wish I'd seen that Arkansas-Auburn game. 65-43. Wow. South Carolina lost, Texas lost, Florida lost for the second straight game, Hawaii is kicking Nevada's butt right now.....
Pfft. It was the first time OSU had played anybody worth a hill of beans. The rest of their games were little cupcake games like San Jose State to BAMA. I'm not at all surprised.

Now what I AM surprised at is freakin South Carolina losing to KENTUCKY?!?! This is why I kinda hate the SEC. We all play each other because in conference games are our only true tests of skill, then we all end up with one loss.

Pfft. It was the first time OSU had played anybody worth a hill of beans. The rest of their games were little cupcake games like San Jose State to BAMA. I'm not at all surprised.

True, but I was still surprised that they lost. I knew it would be a tougher game for them, but I didn't think it would be THAT tough.

The computers tend to become more accurate as the season progresses and teams get a chance to play other ranked opponents. The only computer ranks I have even paid much attention to are the Sagarin rankings and they are usually very accurate by season's end. It really is a mess of a system though that puts Oklahoma in first place, who have the played this season, Texas?

The Texas team that just defeated Nebraska....

But you're right. It should be Oregon, Auburn, LSU, OU, Boise.

Last edited:
So this week the BCS has Auburn at one followed by Oregon, Bull S*** U, TCU, and Michigan State. I think it should be Auburn, TCU, Michigan State, Oregon, and Mizzou. Sorry, but as far as I'm concerned BSU's schedule isn't tough enough for them to be ranked in the top 10. Most of their games are the equivalent of a college team playing a junior high squad, so of course they're going to win. I don't understand why they're being touted as a contender for the BCS championship, but other teams who have far tougher schedules and are undefeated or have only lost one game go virtually unnoticed.

So this week the BCS has Auburn at one followed by Oregon, Bull S*** U, TCU, and Michigan State. I think it should be Auburn, TCU, Michigan State, Oregon, and Mizzou. Sorry, but as far as I'm concerned BSU's schedule isn't tough enough for them to be ranked in the top 10. Most of their games are the equivalent of a college team playing a junior high squad, so of course they're going to win. I don't understand why they're being touted as a contender for the BCS championship, but other teams who have far tougher schedules and are undefeated or have only lost one game go virtually unnoticed.

Just out of curiosity why do you rank Oregon so low? After all the human polls all list Oregon #1, the BCS computer polls leap frogged Auburn from 6Th to 1St.

I actually wasn't ranking them in any particular order. Those are just the teams I feel should be the top five. I should have mentioned that. My bad.

Back