'Ello you lot.

Yep. New bridge is called Barker bridge (or similiar) is it not?

Not been over the new bridge yet, but I've driven past it a few times as it was being built.

The temporary foot bridge was called Barker bridge. The new one has retained it's old name but has a memorial plaque dedicated to Bill.

New bridge.
1308251_Northside_Bridge___complete.jpg

Last edited:
It was absolute murder whilst the 2 bridges where out of action. Until the temporary foot and road bridges were built, it took my lad 2 hours to get to school, when the normal trip is 15 minutes!!! :shock:

I am sorry to hear that. I view a flooding (depending on the circumstances) as inland tsunamis; they can destroy everything in their path

I'm not sure if legal action is still going ahead. Apparently, the sluice gates on a reservoir dam were opened to prevent damage and the massive amount of extra water coupled with the heavily swollen river produced a monumental tidal wave taking down and damaging bridges from the dam all the way to the estuary. By the time it reached the estuary, it had amassed enough energy to totally demolish the heavy stone bridge which had stood for a 105 years. Here is more on the bridges damaged.

http://www.visitcumbria.com/workington-floods.htm

It was absolute murder whilst the 2 bridges where out of action. Until the temporary foot and road bridges were built, it took my lad 2 hours to get to school, when the normal trip is 15 minutes!!! :shock:

I remember that. The town was split in half and completely cut off. Ended up with a massive diversion route until the military built the temp bridges.

Tesco (thinking of their profits - again) built a temporary store on our side of the river much to appreciation of the residents. It saved a massive detour to do the weekly food shop.

It wasn't there at the time, Asda didn't open until the temporary road bridge was complete, and then the temporary Tesco store closed and was dismantled.

The small furniture store on the right hand side of the shopping centre until 3 years ago occupied the larger left hand side that Asda is now in.

I'm not sure if legal action is still going ahead. Apparently, the sluice gates on a reservoir dam were opened to prevent damage and the massive amount of extra water coupled with the heavily swollen river produced a monumental tidal wave taking down and damaging bridges from the dam all the way to the estuary. By the time it reached the estuary, it had amassed enough energy to totally demolish the heavy stone bridge which had stood for a 105 years. Here is more on the bridges damaged.

http://www.visitcumbria.com/workington-floods.htm

Depending on the circumstances, it can prevent even more damage and fatalities if they open the gates, if they don't and the dam fails....it can be a communication failure, in cases of flooding and wildfires, the result of a communication failure can have dire consequences. Does this happen often in this area? Which area/city is the hardest hit by flooding in GB? There is something you might need to do to prevent fatalities. It is called a "contra flow." When a city needs to be evacuated extremely fast within 24 hours or even a shorter time frame, the term "contra flow" means all roads are one direction only. It requires a lot of preparation and training by the emergency management and the law enforcement. Even to prepare the local private sector and deployment of utility vehicles along the roads, to get rid of broken cars. Busses and trains must also be prepared so they can evacuate people without any means to leave by themselves. The major problem is to evacuate hospitals, nursing homes, prisons, and people with physical disabilities. People shall be allowed to take their pets with them. An evacuation is always tricky; evacuate people from one place to....where? Therefore, pre-decided locations are vital with proper shelter, sanitation, health care, food, and water.

I can't help with any of your questions I'm afraid, I'm bottom of the food chain at work and also in the Red Cross so I don't know what the contingency plans are.

Depending on the circumstances, it can prevent even more damage and fatalities if they open the gates, if they don't and the dam fails....it can be a communication failure, in cases of flooding and wildfires, the result of a communication failure can have dire consequences. Does this happen often in this area? Which area/city is the hardest hit by flooding in GB? There is something you might need to do to prevent fatalities. It is called a "contra flow." When a city needs to be evacuated extremely fast within 24 hours or even a shorter time frame, the term "contra flow" means all roads are one direction only. It requires a lot of preparation and training by the emergency management and the law enforcement. Even to prepare the local private sector and deployment of utility vehicles along the roads, to get rid of broken cars. Busses and trains must also be prepared so they can evacuate people without any means to leave by themselves. The major problem is to evacuate hospitals, nursing homes, prisons, and people with physical disabilities. People shall be allowed to take their pets with them. An evacuation is always tricky; evacuate people from one place to....where? Therefore, pre-decided locations are vital with proper shelter, sanitation, health care, food, and water.

Half the problem in this country is that property is being built on reclaimed floodplains, river beds aren't being dredged and drains/drainage ditches aren't maintained (kept clear).

Half the problem in this country is that property is being built on reclaimed floodplains, river beds aren't being dredged and drains/drainage ditches aren't maintained (kept clear).

Yes, funding, always a problem. When you have a lot of rain, it will create problems when the ground is soaked and cannot handle the amount of water.

The "contra flow" is a practice which was implemented after hurricane Katrina and it was used when another hurricane was targeting New Orleans. They used the same approach in Houston too

I am going through the British Geological Survey's website. Is Yorkshire a major flooding area? The data is a bit inconclusive

Yes, funding, always a problem. When you have a lot of rain, it will create problems when the ground is soaked and cannot handle the amount of water.

The "contra flow" is a practice which was implemented after hurricane Katrina and it was used when another hurricane was targeting New Orleans. They used the same approach in Houston too

I am going through the British Geological Survey's website. Is Yorkshire a major flooding area? The data is a bit inconclusive

Quite a number of areas flooded in 2012. This should help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Great_Britain_and_Ireland_floods

Back