Bin Laden Killed in US ground operation outside Islamabad

Originally Posted by KJ
No it wasn´t.
If you are heading up the conspiracy theory path, atleast get simple facts straight..

Well by 'unit' I meant the SEAL special operations unit 6 is this not correct? see below

The US navy's elite Seal Team 6, which stormed Osama bin Laden's Abbottabad compound and killed the al-Qaida leader, prides itself on two things: efficiency and secrecy.

However, the unit has enjoyed a somewhat mixed reputation since a bloody raid in Pakistan three years ago and the botched rescue attempt that led to the death of the British aid worker Linda Norgrove in 2010.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/04/seal-team-6-inside-osama

The last time the public was made aware of a SEAL raid on Pakistani soil was 2008, when the raiders flew only a mile over the border to the town of Angurada, according to Pakistani officials, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive strategic matters. The high-value targets the Americans had been told were there had fled, and those left behind in the compound fought back, resulting in a number of civilian casualties, U.S. and Pakistani officials say, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss a classified operation.

While the U.S. usually does not comment on covert actions, especially ones that go wrong, the 2008 incident was caught on cellphone video, so they confirmed it and apologized publicly, U.S. officials said.

The successful bin Laden mission is a much-needed boost for the unit. The SEALs’ reputation took a hit within the special operations community after a 2010 rescue mission led to the accidental killing of British hostage Linda Norgrove, held by militants in Afghanistan. One of the SEALs threw a fragmentation grenade at a militant when the team stormed their hideout, not realizing Norgrove was curled on the ground next to the militant.

The SEALs originally reported that Norgrove had been killed by a fighter’s suicide vest, but when the SEAL commanding officer reviewed the tape from simultaneous surveillance video, he saw an explosion after one of the SEALs threw something in Norgrove’s direction, U.S. officials say, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss a classified operation.

One SEAL was dismissed from the unit, after he lied to a commanding officer about bringing that type of grenade on a rescue mission, when the standard practice in hostage rescue scenarios is to bring "flash-bangs," which produce noise and light but do not kill.
http://wikileaksnews.net/fabled-seal-team-6-ends-hunt-for-osama-bin-laden.html

Ok rumor at the time was that that thing were done by a platoon from another unit, but I guess it wasn´t.
The press might actually be right for once regarding this.

BTW I still don´t see that as a botched operation.
Hostage rescue is inherently a dangerous undertaking.
Then again, so is getting held hostage by Taliban..

The only problem I have with that mission is that the shooter didn´t say from the start he had used a frag.

I were having a problem with the helicopter insertion as well but after looking at satelite photographs of the area I reckon they had been too late anyway had they decided to hump it in..

KJ sends..

Last edited:
I was told by a US Army Sgt. Major a while back, a reputable source if you ask me, that OBL died in 2004. OTOH, I have never been able to prove anything Gordon Duff has said, wrong- http://www.veteranstoday.com/2009/12/05/years-of-deceit-us-openly-accepts-bin-laden-long-dead/.

Can you guys?

Now, let's talk about this for a moment. If it really was OBL?
If so, then I am saddened. Because when 9/11 happened, I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing. I remember talking about it sometime later with a friend that came from Iran during the Iran-Iraq war, and what he told me is the translator doesn't know what they are saying. All of my sources (that I had then) were saying the same thing- OBL is disavowing any involvement in the WTC on 9/11 and even condemned those that did it.

There have been a few times that even I "joined the band wagon" and spoke against him. Which I am remorseful of. Because I truly do not believe he did it. He was a very smart man and I am confident that IF he did anything of that nature against the US, it may not have as much body count as the WTC did, but the social and economic impact would have been far greater.

So if it was OBL, from what I know, I would have to say that it's murder.

If it was not OBL, then again it's murder because unless they can show proof the person killed committed the crimes to warrant such an action and had been tried of them, what else could it be?

Noam Chomski said something about this once before. "The best way for the US to fight terrorism is for the US to not participate in it."

Then stop taking shots across my bow.

I answered your posts (even though you took exception to my comments), and tried to back away from this thread .. however, you have decided to keep our disagreement going. You should know by now that I back up for no man.

I trade shot-for-shot.

OK. You threw accusations at me, seriously misconstruing my attitude to Americans, and in fact acting on incorrect info, and then when I politely pointed out your error and referred you my posts on the same and other threads here and my record here re. USA, you were not prepared to reconsider and take my word, accusing me then of not showing respect to my elders!! and other imaginary nonsense you had conjured up.

All I wanted was acknowledgement that you were mistaken, no great problem.

You have a great record, accepted, no disrespect.

It so happens that I also stand proud on my honour.

As far as shot-for-shot is concerned really I haven't even started yet, I haven't wished to, but that is unimportant.

What is important is that I offer you my hand if you care to take it, and we can put a close to this collision; after all, as I pointed out in the first case, we have been on the same side in this argument, and you and I have been taking friendly fire!:salute2:

OK. You threw accusations at me, seriously misconstruing my attitude to Americans, and in fact acting on incorrect info, and then when I politely pointed out your error and referred you my posts on the same and other threads here and my record here re. USA, you were not prepared to reconsider and take my word, accusing me then of not showing respect to my elders!! and other imaginary nonsense you had conjured up.

All I wanted was acknowledgement that you were mistaken, no great problem.

You have a great record, accepted, no disrespect.

It so happens that I also stand proud on my honour.

As far as shot-for-shot is concerned really I haven't even started yet, I haven't wished to, but that is unimportant.

What is important is that I offer you my hand if you care to take it, and we can put a close to this collision; after all, as I pointed out in the first case, we have been on the same side in this argument, and you and I have been taking friendly fire! :salute2:

Accepted .....

As I stated, all I did was respond to one single post - not to the totality of your posts. You thought you were being humorous and everyone would see it and I didn't. That is as simple as I can put it.

BTW - Sorry, I have a temper that sometimes gets away from me - especially when I take something personally.

Accepted .....

As I stated, all I did was respond to one single post - not to the totality of your posts. You thought you were being humorous and everyone would see it and I didn't. That is as simple as I can put it.

BTW - Sorry, I have a temper that sometimes gets away from me - especially when I take something personally.

Chief - Spoken like a true gentleman; I could not be more delighted. I offer you my apologies for any hurt I inflicted and I absolutely withdraw my angry responses.

I am honoured to shake your hand Sir.

Chief - Spoken like a true gentleman; I could not be more delighted. I offer you my apologies for any hurt I inflicted and I absolutely withdraw my angry responses.

I am honoured to shake your hand Sir.

Back at ya Big Guy .....

Back