Bin Laden Killed in US ground operation outside Islamabad

perseus

Al-Qaeda founder and leader Osama Bin Laden has been killed by US forces in Pakistan, President Obama has said.

The al-Qaeda leader was killed in a ground operation outside Islamabad based on US intelligence, the first lead for which emerged last August.
Mr Obama said after "a firefight", US forces took possession of his body

It has been almost 10 years since the invasion of Afghanistan. Perhaps this will allow US and UK troops to withdraw without any loss of face since the main purpose of the occupation was to capture Bin Laden. However, this area remains a centre for terrorism. No doubt we must be on a higher level of vigilance for reprisals, especially with the Olympics only a year ahead.

The BBC world service reported this rather strangely 'Osama Bin Laden Killed and Captured!' meaning they have acquired his corpse. Perhaps this statement betrays the true mission objective, but I doubt if many will complain of the outcome!

Last edited:
Well, I was wrong again,... even though I never made a point of saying it, I always believed that he died or been killed years ago.

He has been no more than a figurehead for years and i have no doubt he will acquire even greater status having been killed, and give some other CJ the chance to rise to the top.

Last edited:
Thanks to God and the US NAVY SEALS this Piece of **** is finally dead.

This is the news every New Yorker has been waiting for the past 10 years.

Personally, I am just slightly disappointed they didn't capture him alive, and make sure his last minutes on earth were spent in the worst agony imaginable. He needed to die by inches.

Great news, sadly 10 years too late in some cases.
I wonder how long he has lived in that building for before the intelligence services found him????

The Abbottabad residence is just 700 metres (2,300 ft) from the Pakistan Military Academy - the country's equivalent of West Point
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13256676

It seems he was under the authorities noses all the time. A large walled mansion without communications should have rang alarm bells. Note The Pakistanis weren't informed until the last minute. Perhaps this says it all.

Last edited:
Bin Laden had become the symbol of al Qaeda, even though the degree to which he commanded the organization was questionable. The symbolic value of his death is obvious. We can claim a great victory. Al Qaeda can proclaim his martyrdom.

Maybe it opens the door for the beginning of a withdrawal from Afghanistan as the mission in Afghanistan was to defeat al Qaeda, and with his death, a plausible claim can be made that the mission is complete. Again speculatively, it will be interesting to see how this affects U.S. strategy there. Without a doubt this will trigger action by al Qaeda in bin Laden’s name. We do not know how viable al Qaeda is or how deeply compromised it was. It is clear that bin Laden’s cover had been sufficiently penetrated to kill him. If bin Laden’s cover was penetrated, then the question becomes how much of the rest of the organization’s cover was penetrated. But I think that’s unlikely, however, that al Qaeda is so compromised that it cannot take further action.

Right now all we can do is speculate on the consequences of bin Laden’s death, and that speculation is inherently flawed. Still, the importance of his death has its consequences. Certainly one consequence will be a sense of triumph in the United States. To others, this will be another false claim by the United States. For some it will be a call to war. We know little beyond what we have been told, but we know it matters.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13256676

It seems he was under the authorities noses all the time. A large walled mansion without communications should have rang alarm bells. Note The Pakistanis weren't informed until the last minute. Perhaps this says it all.

A Pakistani government statement said Bin Laden's death "illustrates the resolve of the international community, including Pakistan, to fight and eliminate terrorism".

It will be a long queue at the sink with all these hands that now nead to be washed in Pakistan.

Well, I was wrong again,... even though I never made a point of saying it, I always believed that he died or been killed years ago.

He has been no more than a figurehead for years and i have no doubt he will acquire even greater status having been killed, and give some other CJ the chance to rise to the top.
That's what I have always thought, and still think. I find it amazing this happens right as Obama's approval rating sits in the dump. Hmmm.

Well at least it should stop all that right wing nonsense questioning Obama's birthplace, religion and ethnic background!

With regards to the operation, I understand the Americans say that Bin Laden was trapped but refused to surrender, so they shot him. Although this is reasonable I'm surprised they they didn't attempt to capture him alive.

Then again a trial can lead to legal complications, media exposure and security expense. I know Thatcher told the SAS that she wouldn't mind if the terrorists in the embassy seize were killed. It would have also placed him on a pedestal to present his views like Goring did at Nuremberg.

Perhaps he knew something which might have been embarrassing. Remember he was the darling of the CIA in the 80s and the Bin Laden clan was prominent in US business society. We will never know now!

Last edited:
Bin Laden epitaph .....

Epitaph .....

OSAMA BIN LADEN
  • REMOVED FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH.

Let the celebrations commense ...........

Well, the truth is, in the last couple of years, ben Laden was not such a important figure anymore. He was largely a figurehead, in fact. He had very little influence on the Taliban, for example. Beyond a symbolic significance, he really was not that crucial to them.

Frankly, I fear you Americans should not really celebrate so much. This is just like here, with Chechnya. The government here killed a number of separatist and Islamist Chechen leaders, first Jokhar Dudaev, then Aslan Maskhadov, then Shamil Basaev. Now they are chasing Doku Umarov. Every time they managed to get one, someone else took over afterward, and the war went on as before.

That is why when Basaev was finally announced dead, his skull shown to the nation on TV, nobody celebrated. We knew - this means nothing.

Maybe it will be a somewhat of a psychological blow to the terrorists. But this is not victory. Not nearly. Not yet.

The method of disposal was well chosen, militarily and politically, IMHO.
No, you've heard wrong Delboy his body wasnt put through a wood chipper and fed to the pigs, they just dumped his body at sea...

I fail to see the connection...
It will give the conspiracy theorists a new focus of attention. :thumb:

Well, the truth is, in the last couple of years, ben Laden was not such a important figure anymore. He was largely a figurehead, in fact. He had very little influence on the Taliban, for example. Beyond a symbolic significance, he really was not that crucial to them.

Frankly, I fear you Americans should not really celebrate so much. This is just like here, with Chechnya. The government here killed a number of separatist and Islamist Chechen leaders, first Jokhar Dudaev, then Aslan Maskhadov, then Shamil Basaev. Now they are chasing Doku Umarov. Every time they managed to get one, someone else took over afterward, and the war went on as before.

That is why when Basaev was finally announced dead, his skull shown to the nation on TV, nobody celebrated. We knew - this means nothing.

Maybe it will be a somewhat of a psychological blow to the terrorists. But this is not victory. Not nearly. Not yet.
My thoughts exactly. We are dancing in the streets while the nettles grow in the garden.

Last edited:
ROT IN HELL .....

Well - he was after all in the hands of the Americans - so I just assumed...............:)

Sorry DB .....

Just to abuse you of the thought that American Forces did ANYTHING to Osama Bin Laden's body (other than cleaning him up and wrapping his body following Muslim tradition, and then burying him at sea) ... TO THINK OTHERWISE IS SO MUCH MUSH-HEADED THINKING ON YOUR PART. Americans do NOT desecrate people's bodies ... NOT EVEN THOSE WHO ARE OUR WORST ENEMIES.

He was handled and treated much kindlier amd with more respect than any American's body that was in the hands of Muslin extremist enemies. We have NEVER beheaded a prisoner nor have we EVER desecrated a body by hanging it up in public view (which is the USUAL treatment of Americans or prisoners held by extremist terrorists).

As far as I am concerned, Bin Laden received no more than what he deserved ... a bullet to the head, and then a burial at sea (to keep anyone from using his body to create a martyr's grave site).

MAY HE ROT FOREVER IN HELL.

Chief Bones, I can't agree more,

Although people of Bin Laden's ilk do make me extremely angry, and I forever have a hatred for any person who chooses that lifestyle, one of meaningless killing and desecration of human rights.

I cannot say that I wish a brutal and barbaric retaliation, to do so would devolve our society down to that level, and the coalition is nowhere near that level of human intolerance.

I am glad he is dead, true without a breath left in him, but what makes me most confident, is that the coalition forces did not, and shall not mutilate and make a trophy of our enemies. I for one, would not partake in a society that does so, for then, who are we?

As for Mr. Prapor, My thoughts are parallel to yours, another figure won't step in, no....

A new figure and network for Al Qaeda as been already established years ago, allot of the old guard (Those who planned 9/11) are either captured of killed.

I am just glad the coalition followed through,

And my heart and prayers goes out for every member, all the men and women who carry on the good fight, From my fellow citizens to the Brits, to the Canadians, to the Polish and the Japanese sailors and aviators supporting in the gulf, to all the Countries around the globe, from Russia to the Philippines.

For all those who combat terror now matter on what scale,

Thanks,

Kind Regards,

Yo

Last edited:
Back