View of Brits

Aussie John, we've got that one sorted.

Italien Guy, thanks for the rendition of 'God Save the Queen', It's good to see someone of another nationality searching for the words.

I admire many armed forces in the world but without being biased i admire the brits the most. I simple believe that their history accounts for quite a bit, and as they are one of the most respected and fierce fighting armies in the world it gives them the edge over the rest. I would say that other have a similar history but they are not as respected today.

aussiejohn said:
skywalker said:
the governent is looking to the US to provide the equipment now! the cuts will be reducing our forces down to the levels of a second rate military countries! i dont see how they expect to be able to send our troops around the world to fight there wars when they are making the forces even smaller! if there are any more major wars i cant see how we can send any creditable force!

Don't worry,

The Brits should do what the Australian Government does by keeping very cosy with George W.

And what happens if america doesnt want to get involved! Then were screwed as we wont have the equipment!

I give a lot of repsect to the British military. They are certainly one of the best trained militaries out there. However, I dont like the general attitude of the British Military. When ever I have been around them, granted not a lot but...., I always get the feeling they think they are above everyone else. :?:

Either way, I would gladly fight next to a member for the British Army.

skywalker said:
aussiejohn said:
skywalker said:
the governent is looking to the US to provide the equipment now! the cuts will be reducing our forces down to the levels of a second rate military countries! i dont see how they expect to be able to send our troops around the world to fight there wars when they are making the forces even smaller! if there are any more major wars i cant see how we can send any creditable force!

Don't worry,

The Brits should do what the Australian Government does by keeping very cosy with George W.

And what happens if america doesnt want to get involved! Then were screwed as we wont have the equipment!

Yep, you're screwed. Aussie Government has increased military spending. There is a proposal to have US training facilities set up in Queensland. We are getting involved with the missle shield defence program with the US. Johnny Howard is trying to make us feel very secure! Any way this stuff is off the topic.

8) Brits are good... my great grandfather was a Brit.. 1903 when my grandfather was born by a Chinese (Cantonese) mother.

''What king, going to make war against another king, does not sit down first and consider whether he is able with ten thousand to meet him who comes against him with twenty thousand? Or else, while the other is still a great way off, he sends a delegation and asks conditions of peace.'' Jesus of Nazareth, founder of Christianity, 1st century AD

I am American but I love my British brothers, after some time in the USMC I will go serve in the British Royal Marines for a couple of years.

Jason Bourne said:
I am American but I love my British brothers, after some time in the USMC I will go serve in the British Royal Marines for a couple of years.

Not unless you plan on waiting several years for citizenship and giving up your US citizenship.

Well a British Marine down at the MCL said that if i am good enough I can get into an exchange program and go serve with the British Marines becoming one of them, while one of them joins our ranks, but he said you had to be handpicked so I guess i will just triple my effort.

back

have not been on for a while so i've missed a fair bit of debating:)
hey big z when i said that "wars are lost by troops not journalists" i think i could of phrased it a lot better. and it has been known for sides to win the marjority of battles but still not achieve there main goal /win wars or however you want to word it in the past. no offense was meant.
as far as being usa's second best freind as someone wrote i thought that was the british?

Shadowalker said:
Im just sad that all recent governments have done a disservice to our soldiers by cutting down on necessary equipment, providing them with inadequate equipment, and providing them with faulty equipment! The rot doesnt seem likely to end soon either!

Even still Shadow with all that is happening with kit, low wages and manpower reduction we still managed to cover OP Fresco the firefighter strikes with 50yr old fire engines (green godesses) deploy to both Afghanistan and Iraq aswell as peacekeeping duties around the world and still keep on top of it all

Now something like that wouldnt affect the US forces that much because of sheer numbers its simple they have a lot we dont

Kit they beat us hands down on kit doesnt matter if its a rucksack or a aircraft carrier they have the money to spend we dont

Unfortunately I have to say training on behalf of the British is starting to lack especially on the side of the RAF cant speak to much on the rest of the GB forces, but we still manage to cope

Peace keeping we have that down pat thanks to long service in Ireland all you had to do was watch the news about Iraq to see the difference when patrolling in the cities the British forces would be walking about wearing berets and carrying their rifles low
the US forces would be wearing full body armour kevlar helmets and rifles up in the shoulder its little touches like that, that make a difference

As someone said earlier sorry for not referring by name and quote when the British have their backs to the wall they are tough. Damn right, but thats not just the British if it were WWII would of finished a lot sooner Japan wouldnt of needed nuking and Iraq, N. Ireland and various other spots around the world would have an embassy and not a task force stationed there

When it comes to the Best of the Best you cant compare various nation forces like football players 1on1. We each have our strengths we each have our weaknesses thats why we have joint exercises and cross train with one another we learn from our mistakes. Russian tank doctrine is taught and employed by nearly every single tank regiment in the world as well as British, American and German tank doctrine.

As I have mentioned in the Beslan post, after the Berlin Olympics fiasco in which an entire countrys Olympic team was killed because of lack of experience by the German counter terrorism team. They contacted the experts, the SAS and now they are better same as the Americans special forces and the FBI hostage rescue team all train with the SAS to make themselves better just as we train with the Germans, the French, the Americans. Christ we will train with any one in a foreighn country for two reasons
1. They have something we want to know
2. How the hell else we gonna see the world, wars dont happen in nice places

Jay ;)

Yeah the military did us proud in difficult circumstances, in my opinion though they shouldnt be using green goddesses they should have up to date equipment, with the budget they do have though they do better then any other country in the world would with the same budget!
And i agree with the peacekeeping as well, maybe if the americans had the knowledge and training that our troops have then maybe baghdad/falluja would not of seen the violence.

The British military is the goods, but better at peacekeeping? Probably. But fighting mid to large sized insurgent factions? I doubt any better than the US. Equal, probably. Besides, a large amount of the casualites have been from IED, mostly in very hostile areas, I don't think UK troopers are stationed in many of those.

Though that body armor has always looked like a bad idea to me..... I don't get why berets help! :p lol

In some ways I think British soldiers are good, but during a six month experience of having the "privilege" to live with them at the Swedish camp Camp Victoria in Kosovo my mind changed slightly. Why? There were always a lot of fights in the bar and outside it, and they didn't respect our traditions that probably were weird to them. (As our pinky ceremony). Well I don't say that all of the Brits are like that. Just the ones that I shared camp with during that time.
During my second tour to Kosovo I changed my mind again. This time all Brits I met/worked with was really respectful toward other nations soldiers.

I have all the respect in the world for the British Armed Forces. I have found them to be professional and highly capable, especially the Royal Marines, but then I'm biased when it comes to "bootnecks".
As for the USMC / Royal Marine exchange program Mr. Bourne HQMC would make that decision and it would hurt for you to be Jump and Scuba qualed before they send you off to run around with 2 Commando.

I have been in Chinese military forums for long time, I give you the views of general Chinese military fans:

1. UK forces are all extremly well equiped and trained.

2. UK army is just tool used by USA. UK army cannot take on any meaningful army of any meaningful sized country. Without USA, UK military is almost meaningless in the world.

Oh, above are just the opinions, no intention to hurt anyone, if not feeling too well, read point 1 again :D

Re: ben youre on confused man

The above post is rather amusing, since we colonised a few hundred years back. You will find we generally use our military to guard our country. Which is why hmmm the French, Spanish, Germans and more have never been able to invade Britain. The U.S.A does seem to use the British but I think the U.K could take control of a country much bigger then itself (i.e any country lol). Remember those Brits fought the Argentines what 15 years ago? 700 odd argentinians dead and 200 odd brits. Argentine is what 20 times bigger then England? Proven wrong :rambo:

Re: ben youre on confused man

OSEU said:
The above post is rather amusing, since we colonised a few hundred years back. You will find we generally use our military to guard our country. Which is why hmmm the French, Spanish, Germans and more have never been able to invade Britain. The U.S.A does seem to use the British but I think the U.K could take control of a country much bigger then itself (i.e any country lol). Remember those Brits fought the Argentines what 15 years ago? 700 odd argentinians dead and 200 odd brits. Argentine is what 20 times bigger then England? Proven wrong :rambo:

Hey, I'm British too but don't let's kid ourselves. We should be thankful for the English Channel because it was the only thing that stopped us being invaded by Germany in WW2.

Amazing? Amazing is a good thing.

The point is the Outside World is always Amazing since it is simply unknown to you :D

Anyway it is THE opinions of some countries. Shall I tell you more? I have been many Inernational Military Forums, and that view is shared by most of the world countries, I put the view here in a polite way, if no Mods here, then I can put the true words describing UK's military forces here, but it will not be allowed here :D

Back