View of Brits

bush musketeer - Sorry if i'm wrong i was sure i seen or read that but i might be wrong. As for ww2 your wrong. The Uboats single handily wiped your naval power of hundreds of years off the map. There was nothing you could do. Nor us at the start. But at the end we started to wipe them out with ease. Don't misunderstand i like the brits allot... I just hate when they pull some shit saying how great they are and how americans aren't. We are the most powerful military in the world.. But the brits help us in allot of ways and have even adopted their selfs to pick up for our weaknesses. Which i'm glad of because together i doubt any amount of countries could stop us. I just noticed your an astriallian bush musketeer :) But anything said can pretty much apply to you as well since your America's second best friend :)

The Brit army has the Nepal¡¯s Gurkhas to compose a few of troops who are brave and loyal. It is said that they performed very well in the war of Malvinas islands (Falkland).

"wars ar lost by troops not journalists" To this response i suggest you do some research. Americans AND Australians fought in this war.....
If you look at the numbers you'll see we easily beat them. Pretty much every battle was won. The American civilians wanted us out and our government caved in. American soldiers were spit on as they came home being called baby killers. Please don't disrespect either of our nations troops by saying they lost the war because trust me they didn't..... If anything they proved how elite they were by adapting to the enemies turf which they had never fought on that type of terrain before. The kill to death ratio was AT LEAST 5 to 1 for our troops to theirs and thats being extremely conservative.

Devmim, the Gurkas performed extremely well in the Falklands War, I recently attended a presentation by the Gurkas and was impressed to say the least. Having said that though, the whole of the British Armed Forces performed well.
BigZ, I'm not too sure why you're so aggravated with the British having a bad time during the wars. Don't forget that during the second world war, we were standing alone against a much larger German opposition. Our people weren't starving, the convoys from America kept Britain nourished even though much of it was rationed.
'Slaughtered like Pigs', I think this is perhaps a harsh representation of the hundreds of thousands of soldiers who died trying to protect their allies' country from invasion and the thousands more innocent civilians who were killed during the bombing on British cities. By the time America entered the War, Britain was not as you describe. She was not basically defeated, the RAF had annhilated the Luftwaffe, Allied forces now had air superiority. Don't also forget the battle of El Alamein , the British army was hardly defeated there. Neither did the U-Boats destroy our Naval capability. At first, The Royal Navy (and other commonwealth vessels inculding ships from our friends the Australiens) were vulnerable from attack from U-Boats, as Britain's survival depended on the convoys, new tecniques were discovered in anti-submarine warfare. The German 'Happy Days' were over and many of the German surface fleet had been sunk or were sunk soon. The reason the RN is no longer the force it once was, is due to Government defense cuts. Self-dtermination was introduced and the colonies and Empire was disbanded, the Naval fleet and Army no longer had to be as powerful.
As for being Americans with a wierd accent, don't patronise us, we have our own history and traditions, we respect your heritage and we value the friendship between our nations but we're two completely different nationalities. If we are Americans with wierd accents shouldn't the English language be called American?

Zack's view is wrong.
And you guys, now listen up:

There is nothing as bad as Americans and Brits trying to assert which one is better and mutually accusing themselves.

A bit of style, for Pit's sake.

Ok, this is the final warning before this thread is closed. Keep it civil, you are free to disagree but refrain from namecalling and antagonistic language, there is no need for that and it serves no purpose whatsoever. If you make any claims about, well, anything, you need to provide sources for your figures and facts, saying "I heard it from my brother-in-law's niece's ex-boyfriend" doesn't cut it.

If someone is failing to abide by these rules, please do not respond or react to them, as hard as that may be, but instead inform one of the moderators or the administrator and we will take care of the problem.

I might be wrong but i still think brits are insanely arrogant. You are so blind you couldnt even see some of the friendly things im saying. Just let me point out you dont see any "What do you think of Americans" thread. Thats why i come off as such an ******* to you. The brits are like American fighter pilots. They never shut up. I spent allot of my early years on military bases and i honestly never knew we had the worlds most powerful military. Our troops dont sit around a table praising themselfs swearing they are the greatest soldiers that have ever lived.

Big_Z said:
I might be wrong but i still think brits are insanely arrogant. You are so blind you couldnt even see some of the friendly things im saying. Just let me point out you dont see any "What do you think of Americans" thread. Thats why i come off as such an ******* to you. The brits are like American fighter pilots. They never shut up.

Adjust fire on the attitude or you are gone.

When the "chips are down" and the Brits have had there backs to the wall, boy they can be tough.

eg German offensive of March 1918 smashed the British 5th Army initially but the Brits slogged it out until the Germans ran out of steam.

1. God save our gracious Queen,
Long live our noble Queen,
God save the Queen!
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us;
God save the Queen!

2. O Lord our God arise,
Scatter her enemies
And make them fall;
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On Thee our hopes we fix,
God save us all!

3. Thy choicest gifts in store
On her be pleased to pour;
Long may she reign;
May she defend our laws,
And ever give us cause
To sing with heart and voice,
God save the Queen!
4. Not in this land alone,
But be God's mercies known,
From shore to shore!
Lord make the nations see,
That men should brothers be,
And form one family,
The wide world over.

5. From every latent foe,
From the assassins blow,
God save the Queen!
O'er her thine arm extend,
For Britain's sake defend,
Our mother, prince, and friend,
God save the Queen!

6. Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush.
God save the King!

Our troops dont sit around a table praising themselfs swearing they are the greatest soldiers that have ever lived.

Hollywood does that for you! Sorry if this offends but hollywood does annoy me when americans are shown winning the war single handardly, but admittedly in the 50's british films about the war gave no credit to the americans,!

As a brit i will agree with aussiejohn as in WW1, WW2 and the napoleonic wars we were basically alone for long periods of time espacially the napoleonic wars where we bankrolled our allies and in WW2 where until the americans joined (which i am eternally grateful for) we were alone!

Our elder brothers the Royal Marines are cocky, but they always back it up. I respect all of the ones I trained with. They are the hardest trained gentlemen that I've ever met, so they handle all situations with the best of proffessionalism.

Good advice, don't get into drinking contests with them. . . . . they don't have blood, they have nothing but Guinness in them. . . . solid alcohol in their veins.

Hello to everybody

Just like to introduce myself and say hello.

Interesting debate and one that has been hotly debated many a time in the NAAFI bar. However I shall refrain from expressing views except for one

No one here on this board should slander any vets that fought and died in WW1 or WW2 or any other war. As an ex serviceman I would never ever speak of the dead in such a way...be it Russian, USA, Brit, German etc. They were all servicemen/women.

It’s politicians who start wars, we just gotta go and finish it!

Pugs

No mean to be big headed but I think the British army is one of the best in the world, we are the one of the smallest countries in the world and everyone respects the British army also we are one of the few armies who has its old regiments and traditions from the days of Marlbrough still in the army.

Throughout history there has been gallant and heroic deeds performed by individuals and regiment.

In most wars at one time or another we have been outnumbered but we have still won those wars with a few exceptions.

Britain is a proud nation ho will if necessary (in my opinion) defend its self and its freedom alone if it has to but it will still fight.

Im just sad that all recent governments have done a disservice to our soldiers by cutting down on necessary equipment, providing them with inadequate equipment, and providing them with faulty equipment! The rot doesnt seem likely to end soon either!

Sky Walker, losses of 7000 from the RAF, a dozen bases, loss of our Jaguar aircraft, 3000 personnel from the RN, 6 surface warships, 2 submarines and the loss of heavy equipment from the army to be replaced by light attack vehicles, this is what Labour is planning within the next few years. The MPs don't like it but Brown won't give the MOD any more money and if he did, it would probably be wasted on the far too expensive Euro Fighter contract. These cuts will reduce our ability to fight wars and even to protect our own lands, no longer will Britannia Rule the Waves, instead we will be reduced to a mere second rate military power.

the governent is looking to the US to provide the equipment now! the cuts will be reducing our forces down to the levels of a second rate military countries! i dont see how they expect to be able to send our troops around the world to fight there wars when they are making the forces even smaller! if there are any more major wars i cant see how we can send any creditable force!

skywalker said:
the governent is looking to the US to provide the equipment now! the cuts will be reducing our forces down to the levels of a second rate military countries! i dont see how they expect to be able to send our troops around the world to fight there wars when they are making the forces even smaller! if there are any more major wars i cant see how we can send any creditable force!

Don't worry,

The Brits should do what the Australian Government does by keeping very cosy with George W.

Back