View of Brits - Page 6

--

May 1st, 2004  
Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEA
America happily drpped two 500 pound bombs on Felluja, as well as unleashing C130 Spectre gun ships on the city. As a member of the British Army I can not begin to convay my resentment to this tactic.
What the heck are you talking about?! You resent WHAT, exactly? (We also used one 1000lber, by the way, and it was one AC130 Spectre.)
May 1st, 2004  
RnderSafe

Quote:
As a member of the British Army I can not begin to convay my resentment to this tactic.
Who are you with? What field?
May 1st, 2004  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEA
Of course this will win them the war, just like Vietnam, Grenada, Somalia etc. Oh, and don't forget, they "saved our asses" in WWII by beating the Nazi's single handed.
The Americans have a different way of doing some things and I'm not gonna go into the merits or lack thereof compared to what the British would do.

However, you would do well to remember that the Americans aided the Soviets hugely with the Lend-Lease program that literally allowed the Red Army to recover after 1941, not to mention the material they supplied to ourselves. It's gotta be pointed out that the US were not duty bound to get involved in the War in Europe in either World War but they did so recognising that the threat of Germany (especially in WW2) had to be stopped.

So while the Americans did not beat the Nazi's singlehandedly they did more to ensure that victory than any other country aside from the Soviet Union.

As far as the UK is concerned though they DID save our asses as by now we would be either speaking German or Russian. :P

Given that, would you rather they had just stayed on the North American continent and did nothing?
--
May 2nd, 2004  
c/Commander

Frankly I don't think there's any non-Special Forces unit better than a unit of US Marines, but that's just my opinion.

I know the Royal Marines are supposed to be good, but I'm too young and havn't seen enough of their ops to be an objective judge.

US Air Force will kick everyone once the F-22 is delivered and fully operational. No question.
May 2nd, 2004  
Redneck

How about heading over to the welcoming center and giving us an introduction, JagSeal.
May 2nd, 2004  
c/Commander

Just did...sorry I left it a bit late.
May 12th, 2004  
Eric

Well...let's see...

I worked with the Brits for a couple of years (Tank units, infantry, SAS)and I do like them...AND I AM NOT KIDDING!
They do go to the point and get things done and I love their strong attachment to their traditions...

BUT:

-it was funny back in the late '80 to chase them around during MOUTs...to return them all the lost mags from their newly issued SA80 (problem is fixed now!)
- they do have -and need- an impressive Navy...remember....they are on an island!!!
- they are global and really project forces...everywhere the US goes
- they need a strong army because they are so "liberal" that all the terrorist groups have offices and newspapers there and the Army will eventually have to fight them locally
-they are tough and hard trained guys and endure "ten different ways to cook potatoes" every morning at breakfast....fried, boiled, mashed, sauteed...I am sure that it is what is called abuse for their Iraqi inmates...
-SAS and SBS are outstanding....too bad they are Brit!
-they are globally more relevant than France or Germany because under the US nuclear and military umbrella...

But what do I know? I am French and we have been fighting the inhabitants of that Island since the beginning of times!

Can't live with them, can't live without, I guess!!!
May 13th, 2004  
Pollux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric

Can't live with them, can't live without, I guess!!!
lol
yeah i think its the same with our relationship
May 19th, 2004  
JEA

Sorry I haven't been posting for a while, but have't been able to due to work.

I agree that the French, German and Brit's haven't seen eye to eye lately, but if it wasn't for Tony Blair being such a pupet to America we would.

The whole "America winning WWII for us" is bollocks. Remember their industry was not decimated by the Luftwaffe (as they were providing arms for the rest of the world, this in-fact boosted their industries), and they only got involved for their own interest (pearl harbour). Whoes to say if America didn't join the war we wouldn't have won, but we the Brits, would not all be speaking German now regardless!!! (the "what language would we be speaking" arguement really pisses me off, what language do American's speak after all?!)

Quote:
What the heck are you talking about?! You resent WHAT, exactly?
The fact you don't see the problem with this only re-enforces my view! Bombing a city, with Spectre's or a 1000lber, WOULD hit civillians. They dropped it on a town. What's the blast radius for these things?! Can you honastly say that every building within the blast radius was hostile?!

Quote:
Who are you with? What field?
I am attached to the REME, I'm not prepared to go in to further detail as "the powers that be" will dissagree with me posting on this site.

Quote:
I worked with the Brits for a couple of years (Tank units, infantry, SAS)
Why and how have you worked with all these units, I would (and have, once) considered myself lucky to work with the SAS, let alone a forigner having done so.

You talk about how professional American soldies are, erm, what about the abuse of Iraqi prisoners. Someone truely dedicated to their job would not have let this happen. According to Pte England "everyone knew about it [, the abuse], from the company commander down". If you would like to talk about the British abuse pohoto's that have emerged, I wouild be happy to give my reasons for believing them to be fake.
May 19th, 2004  
Eric

"Why and how have you worked with all these units, I would (and have, once) considered myself lucky to work with the SAS, let alone a forigner having done so."

More years than I care to remember all over Germany, Berlin included!
Exotic countries.
LRRP joint "games with SAS", even in their hometown...

"According to Pte England "everyone knew about it [, the abuse], from the company commander down". If you would like to talk about the British abuse pohoto's that have emerged, I wouild be happy to give my reasons for believing them to be fake."

Whatever....but I remember a specific British E&E were the bag over the head, the nakedness, uncomfortable position and nasty comments over anatomy parts by female participants was SOP!