Famous former Marines.

--

May 25th, 2004  
Devil_Dog17

Topic: Famous former Marines.

Gene Hackman, Burt Reynolds, Captain Kangaroo(no not kidding),Jim Lehrer,R. Lee Ermey(DUH!), Ed McMahon, Montel Williams, John Glenn, Lee Harvey Oswald, Charles Whitman, Drew Carey.

There are more and I will post them when I get them and I would like you guys to post more if you find them and even those from other branches as long as it wasn't just a tour of service they must be veterans, marines, or something interesting like Jimmi Hendrix being Airborne.
May 25th, 2004  
Italian Guy

Didn't know about Hackman.
May 25th, 2004  
Sooners1

Lee Marvin did enlist in the U.S. Marines, saw action as Private First Class in the Pacific during World War II, and was wounded (in the buttocks) by fire which severed his sciatic nerve. However, this injury occurred during the battle for Saipan in June 1944, not the battle for Iwo Jima, which took place several months later, in February 1945. (Marvin also did receive a Purple Heart, and he is indeed buried at Arlington National Cemetery.)
--
May 25th, 2004  
Redneck

Quote:
Drew Carey
No way.

And I don't know if I'd brag about Oswald.
May 25th, 2004  
AFSteliga

Topic: Re: Famous former Marines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil_Dog17
Drew Carey.
No way.
May 25th, 2004  
C/2nd Lt Robot

Dont forget about "Chesty" Puller, "Dan" Daily, and John Riley.
May 25th, 2004  
FutureRANGER

Yea I was going to make a thread about this a while back, I guess I never got around to it.

Lee Harvery Oswald and Charles Whitman were both Marines. When I first started thinking about that, I was trying to figure out why Marines were nutcases, but then I realized it was vice-versa. These men joined the Marines because they were nutcases, and the kind of men they were certainly would have an appeal towards the Marines.

Come to think of it, Timothy McVeigh and John Muhammad (am I the only one that sees the irony in that name?) were (as they both recieved the death penalty) ex-Army.

My kinda off topic two cents.
May 26th, 2004  
Sooners1

Steve McQueen

In April, 1947 he enlisted, just a month after his seventeeth birthday.

Steve was not a model soldier at first. He was sentenced to fourty-one days in the brig (the first twenty-one on bread and water) for allowing a weekend pass to drag into two weeks and then fighting with the shore patrol when they went to pick him up. He would redeem himself later on, however.

During a training excercise in the Arctic, a transport ship struck a sandbank and flung several tanks and their crews into the freezing water. Many Marines drowned immediately, unable to get out of their tanks. McQueen jumped into the Actic water personally saved the lives of five men, who were almost frozen to death. For this act of heroism Steve McQueen was chosen to be part of the Honor Guard protecting Harry S. Truman's yacht.

He was honorably discharged April, 1950.

http://members.tripod.com/~stvmcqueen/McQbio2.html
May 26th, 2004  
Mark Conley

dont forget young ladies...there are famous marine women too.!

get out there and start looking!
May 27th, 2004  
Swift&silent

Topic: Re: Famous former Marines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCdt Steliga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil_Dog17
Drew Carey.
No way.
WOW!!!

I did not know that. Now I like his show even more