Discussions

Watching the news on TV I saw a Russian armoured convoy, one of which was flying the old Soviet flag, I guess that shows where their mind set is at and also the armoured Russian vehicle deliberately running over a Ukrainian civilian car, thankfully the driver of the car survived. The Russians have been a pain in the bum for years, quite frankly I hope the Russians have got a ferocious tiger by the tail.

I saw the satellite picture of the column of vehicles north of Kiev, the vehicles were driving bumper to bumper in a war zone. The main Russian army seems to be lacking night fighting capabilities. They seem to not coordinate well between ground and air forces. Have the Russians achieved air superiority? It doesn't look like they have. Despite what looks like problems, the Russians still pushing forward and suffer casualties , but so do the Ukrainians

I saw the satellite picture of the column of vehicles north of Kiev, the vehicles were driving bumper to bumper in a war zone. The main Russian army seems to be lacking night fighting capabilities. They seem to not coordinate well between ground and air forces. Have the Russians achieved air superiority? It doesn't look like they have. Despite what looks like problems, the Russians still pushing forward and suffer casualties , but so do the Ukrainians

I was amazed by that, I can only assume they have complete air superiority or are incredibly reckless.

I can only imagine what a couple of A-10s would have made of that column.

This is a war Ukraine cannot physically win the numbers game will inevitably prevail but this invasion will probably be the end of Putin he has turned his country into an international pariah and exposed the military as an armed version of the Keystone cops.

Last edited:
I was amazed by that, I can only assume they have complete air superiority or are incredibly reckless.

I can only imagine what a couple of A-10s would have made of that column.

This is a war Ukraine cannot physically win the numbers game will inevitably prevail but this invasion will probably be the end of Putin he has turned his country into an international pariah and exposed the military as an armed version of the Keystone cops.

The Ukrainians have UAV's and I have seen a video of how what looks like an artillery vehicle being hit by a missile, these vehicles were very close to each other as well.

I have looked at that car incident a couple of times and I am dubious of the claims that it deliberately ran over the car as it appeared more out of control than anything else and I also question whether it was Russian as it seems odd for a Russian anti-aircraft vehicle to be driving around Kiev with no other support.
I am leaning toward it being an out of control Ukrainian vehicle.

From what I can see, the civi car was on his side of the road when the Russian armoured vehicle crossed over the road, then ran over the car. In my opinion the Russian armoured vehicle deliberately ran over the car

From what I can see, the civi car was on his side of the road when the Russian armoured vehicle crossed over the road, then ran over the car. In my opinion the Russian armoured vehicle deliberately ran over the car

A DUI, where is a cop when you need one? Sorry, couldn't resist.

The military column/convoy north of Kiev is moving really slow. Even ground forces would create a havoc among those trucks. I wonder if Ukrainian units are operating around the convoy and delaying it

For what it is worth here is an alternative explanation...
https://observers.france24.com/en/e...debunked-russian-tank-crush-civilian-car-kyiv

The military column/convoy north of Kiev is moving really slow. Even ground forces would create a havoc among those trucks. I wonder if Ukrainian units are operating around the convoy and delaying it

No from what I can gather the Ukrainians have been watching Blazing Saddles and put a toll booth on the road, the Russians are finding it difficult to get the coin into the collection bin from inside their tanks.
:)
http://youtu.be/SbWg-mozGsU

Last edited:

Our convoy procedures were 50 meters between vehicles in open country and 12 meters in built up area's, and never bunch up when stationary, where possible 50 meters between each truck.

Last edited:
I have an unrelated question about semantics mainly:
You say in 1939 Lvov's population was 60% Poles, 7% Ukrainian and 33% Jewish, to the best of my knowledge Polish and Ukrainian is a determination of nationality, Jewish is a determination of religion as such that 33% must have either been Polish, Ukrainian or anther nationality.

Regarding Austria, will Austria's purchase of gas keep the Russian economy afloat?
If not then it really doesn't matter what Austria does.

Having looked at more information on this it would appear that the EU has voted unanimously in support of these sanctions which indicates Austria is supporting them and understands the consequences that may come with that support.

What this shows is that if it was Putin's aim to further fracture the western world and weaken it then he has badly miscalculated as the one thing he has done is galvanised the western world into a stronger unit, I would be very surprised if we do not see a number of countries putting in quiet applications to NATO over the next couple of months.

About Lvov : the problem is that these are official Polish figures and that they indicate that in Lvov (it was different in other Polish cities ) the authorities did not consider Jewish Poles as Poles,but as Jewish and Jewish Ukrainians not as Ukrainians ,but as Jews . The same for the Ukrainians .
What the opinion was of the Jews,we don't know and no one cared about it .
About Austria : one can not use what the Austrian government is saying as a proof for the intention of the Austrian government,as it is a public secret in Austria that there is a big difference between what the government is saying and what it is doing .
80 % of gas in Austria comes from Russia : if this stops, the economic consequences for the economy,the social consequences for the population and the electoral consequences for the government ( corrupt Christian Democrats and Greens of whom the corruption is still not proved ) are catastrophic .
1 million households ( mainly in the cities ) are depending on Russian gas for cooking and heating , oil comes mostly from Kazakhstan .
Even the fanatical Greens are very circumspect to attack the use of gas and oil .
22 % of the Austrian energy consumption comes from gas ( 8,8 billion of cubic metres and these 8,8 billion are only a tiny fraction of the gas that is passing through Austria : 42 billion cubic metres .80 % is going to other countries .
Dozens of millions of people in Europe depend on Russian gas for cooking and heating and the politicians know very well what will happen if the stocks will become exhausted and people will be hungry and without heating : in a few weeks the price of gas has tripled in Belgium .

About Lvov : the problem is that these are official Polish figures and that they indicate that in Lvov (it was different in other Polish cities ) the authorities did not consider Jewish Poles as Poles,but as Jewish and Jewish Ukrainians not as Ukrainians ,but as Jews . The same for the Ukrainians .
What the opinion was of the Jews,we don't know and no one cared about it .

It is an interesting bit of information, I recall an attempt by either the US or UN (I cant recall which) to make "Jewish" an ethnicity of sorts but it was opposed by many Jewish groups who felt that it created a point of difference between them and the countries they lived in and could lead to them being singled out much as happened in Germany in the 1930s.

Our convoy procedures were 50 meters between vehicles in open country and 12 meters in built up area's, and never bunch up when stationary, where possible 59 meters between each truck.

That is the normal procedure, all military units are following standard procedure when they are out and about, but not the Russians.

That is the normal procedure, all military units are following standard procedure when they are out and about, but not the Russians.

I am assuming this shot was taken in Russia at a staging area and not outside Kyiv as the captions say.

Ukraine-40-mile-long-Russian-convoy-heading-to-Kyiv-twice-as.jpg

I am assuming this shot was taken in Russia at a staging area and not outside Kyiv as the captions say.

Ukraine-40-mile-long-Russian-convoy-heading-to-Kyiv-twice-as.jpg

That explains it, but yet the Russians aren't following standard procedures

Are the Polish providing the Ukrainians with the MIG-29?

Last edited:
That explains it, but yet the Russians aren't following standard procedures

Are the Polish providing the Ukrainians with the MIG-29?

What a target for a Vulcan with parachute retarding bombs, as I saw on Salisbury Plain in 1966 on a mocked up convoy.

Apparently they have about 35-40 of them back in service, they began taking them out of storage and refitting them in 2014, maybe Poland is restoring them to operational status for them.

I found this interesting...
https://www.reuters.com/world/europ...orce-us-officials-experts-stumped-2022-03-01/

I took a closer look at this, the info originates from the Ukrainian parliament.

Bulgaria, Slovakia, and Poland are providing Ukraine with MIG-29s and SU-25s. I want to see SU-25s going for the slow moving convoy and against the Russians in the south. But officially, they don't supply Ukraine with these planes

There are several thing that surprises me about this war. I wasn't surprised when the Russians attacked. It was expected.

Russia seems to not have achieved air superiority, they are pretty close to it, but not there yet. But it is difficult to achieve air superiority if the air force is somewhere else. It seems to be a problem with the air-ground coordination.

The Russians didn't go for the political leadership in Ukraine.

The Russians seem to lack night fighting capabilities or don't want to fight at night.

The Russians are using too many lines of advances/prongs. That might explain the logistical problems.

Russian military doctrine focuses a lot on artillery, I haven't seen a lot of artillery yet, but the Ukrainians may use a Modus that makes it hard for the Russians to utilize its artillery.

The Russians seem to lack night fighting capabilities or don't want to fight at night.

The Russians are using too many lines of advances/prongs. That might explain the logistical problems.

Russian military doctrine focuses a lot on artillery, I haven't seen a lot of artillery yet, but the Ukrainians may use a Modus that makes it hard for the Russians to utilize its artillery.

I get the impression that they don't want to fight at all, there are also "rumors" that Russian communications are a mess and that in some cases they are using cellphones and commercial ham radio frequencies.

The problem is figuring out the real from the propaganda in this war but none the less if this is Russian shock and awe I hate to say it but I have seen glaciers move faster.

Do you still think they learned a lot in Syria?

I am also interested in what happened to the landings around Odessa as if Ukrainian accounts are right (which is debatable) Russia has in 6 days suffered about 30% of the casualties they suffered in Afghanistan which won't be playing well at home.

Last edited:
I get the impression that they don't want to fight at all, there are also "rumors" that Russian communications are a mess and that in some cases they are using cellphones and commercial ham radio frequencies.

The problem is figuring out the real from the propaganda in this war but none the less if this is Russian shock and awe I hate to say it but I have seen glaciers move faster.

Do you still think they learned a lot in Syria?

I am also interested in what happened to the landings around Odessa as if Ukrainian accounts are right (which is debatable) Russia has in 6 days suffered about 30% of the casualties they suffered in Afghanistan which won't be playing well at home.

Russian commanders were supposed to have used their cell phones during the Georgian war as well.

I agree, I was expecting a fast moving war with mechanized/tank units and air support. Zjukov must be turning in his grave

No, they seem quite incompetent so far

Russian commanders were supposed to have used their cell phones during the Georgian war as well.

I agree, I was expecting

No, they seem quite incompetent so far

It really is hard to get a read on this campaign, given that the Russians have been fighting in East Ukraine for the last eight years I find it hard to believe they didn't have a better understanding of the combat capability of Ukraine's military.

Back