Australian Defence Force Training Pics - Page 4

--

December 30th, 2004  
Jason Bourne

I always liked the Austrailian military and i hope that one day when i join the USMC i would get to train and/or fight alongside them. by the way what is a Yowie Suit?

Quote:
I heard a rumour that if they draw their knife in combat, they have to draw blood....and if they dont get it from an enemy they have to get it from themselfs
i never knew that before, pretty neat, i rememeber that the Samurai used to do that.
December 30th, 2004  
Locke

im fairly sure a yowie suit is just another name for a ghillie suit
December 30th, 2004  
Jason Bourne

thought so but i wasn't sure
--
December 30th, 2004  
AussieNick

Yeah a yowie suit is a ghillie suit (snipers camouflage suit). A yowie is a mythical Australian creature that inhabits swamps and rivers, and I guess that they figure thats what a Yowie would look like.

I'm glad to hear that there is a fair bit of support for the Australians. Jason Bourne, if you join the USMC no doubt you'll get to train with us in Shoalwater Bay. Once every couple of years 25,000 US servicemen come here for a couple of weeks for wargames, and most of them are USMC. Good stuff, lots of fun.
December 30th, 2004  
Locke

lol no way, a yowie is a chocolate figure with a toy inside it!!
December 30th, 2004  
Big_Z

Here are some aussies in Afghanistan.

http://media.militaryphotos.net/photos/Allied_Australia
December 30th, 2004  
AussieNick

Good pics there. Gotta love the SAS bloke with the beard. What a scruffy bastard. Because they are special forces they get away with it though.
December 30th, 2004  
Big_Z

Well they have too. I know an American guy who served in SF for over 20 years and he told me its mandatory in some missions to grow beards. You dont leave until it's grown out enough.
December 30th, 2004  
AussieNick

Probably so if you have to go on the run behind enemy lines you'll look less like a soldier than some hippy
December 30th, 2004  
Big_Z

Yep, they try to fit in as much as possible, allot of people in afghanistan grow beards.