--

December 20th, 2004  
AlexKall

What does "R" stand for in SASR?
December 21st, 2004  
Locke

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieNick
SASR just means Special Air Service Regiment.
December 21st, 2004  
A Can of Man

Jakarta would be:
40 degrees celcius. 100% humidity (and if you run right after the usual 1pm rains during the wet season, you are running through a steam bath). Also there are burning garbage piles which sometimes can't be avoided. Also, the canals full of sewage stink like hell.
--
December 21st, 2004  
AussieNick

Here are a few aircraft from the Australian air fleet, both RAAF and Army Aviation.

Australian F-111

FA/18 Hornets of the RAAF (Royal Australian Air Force)

Hercules

Eurocopter ARH Tiger goes through its paces

Blackhawk
December 29th, 2004  
AussieNick

Some more photos.

Infantry soldier with full pack and webbing

Some of these next photos are black and white because they are linked from the Australian War Memorial. Not sure why they have the pics in b&w.

2 cav on patrol in Baghdad

Another view of 2 cav (ASLAVS) on patrol.

Iraqi woman passing 2 RAR Infantry outside the old Australian embassy. 2 RAR has just been joined by 6 RAR Infantry. They left today. (by the way, RAR stands for Royal Australian Regiment).

Morning briefing in one of Saddam's palaces

2RAR soldiers take a break on 13 floor of an unfinished hotel in Baghdad (which has been used as a barracks for 2 cav and 2 RAR, it's outside the green zone and is prone to attacks).

Royal Australian Navy clearance diver in Iraq. Aussie CD's have got a huge job, and although they are not "Officially" Special Forces, they may as well be.

SAS In Iraq, thanks boys

2 SAS soldiers have a break at Baghdad airport, gotta love the boardshorts and flip flops.
December 29th, 2004  
r031Button

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardo
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
The challenge there would be high altitude. But really when you step into a hot and humid environment, it just sucks the life right out of you. But on the other hand, in terms of conditioning, high altitutde is superb. It probably explains why Gurkhas are excellent runners.
I was on a cadet training exercise last year at catterick and there was loads of gurkhas there doing a 25km run with bergens...whilst having to navigate the route, and it was all off road

I heard a rumour that if they draw their knife in combat, they have to draw blood....and if they dont get it from an enemy they have to get it from themselfs
Yeah but you gotta love it when they come to your base. They take over the messes in Wainwright....which translates to come good eating for all the troops in that....urgh...lovely and plentifully foliated region
December 29th, 2004  
AussieNick

3 RAR Paras in East Timor

SAS Training

Sounding the last post during Naidoc week

Soldier presents arms whilst Airman and Sailor present a salute in the background. ANZAC day at Bomona war cemetary.

Leopards from 1 Armoured during amphib ops.
December 29th, 2004  
RnderSafe

Remember that many of our users are using dial-up .. limit the amount of photos you cram into your posts. One or two smaller photos, and links to the rest, esp the larger ones, are fine. This will allow every member to have a good, smooth experience on the forum as well.

Thanks.
December 30th, 2004  
AussieNick

Sorry about that. I'm on dial-up myself and thought that it was running alright. I'll keep that in mind in future though.
December 30th, 2004  
Big_Z

Good pics. I'm glad we have the aussies as allies.