WWII Quiz

Since we are unlikely to get a question quickly, try this one to be getting on with.

What was the first substantial operational warship to be sunk by air power. Name it, and the attacking aircraft type.

What additional factor could have contributed to its sinking?

Last edited:
I think the Aircraft was a Fairy Swordfish, and the first Battleship sunk by aircraft was Littorio

Last edited:
Since we are unlikely to get a question quickly, try this one to be getting on with.

What was the first substantial operational warship to be sunk by air power. Name it, and the attacking aircraft type.

What additional factor could have contributed to its sinking?

Ship: Königsberg (Cruiser).
Aircraft Type: Blackburn B-24 Skua
Other reasons:The inability of her crew to control the fires without the equipment damaged by the Norwegian shore batteries. Flooding caused by the bombing could not be controlled because the Königsberg's pumps were out of action due to the loss of electrical power. Magazines had to be deliberately flooded to stop the threat of fire reaching them.

http://freespace.virgin.net/john.dell/sinking_of_the_konigsberg.htm

Correct Monty as usual

It's amazing these aircraft managed to sink anything. The fleet arm sure made best use of what they had in those early days!

I used the same source

Skuas were a disaster, they were brought in to replace the Swordfish. In a steep dive the wings would fall off, not a lot off fun for a pilot. I did hear of a story where an admiral wanted a flying display by the Skuas, and he wanted them to a mock dive bomb attack on his ship and all the pilots refused and faced a Court Martial

Hehe yeah wings falling off would be a negative for everyone but the Japanese.

Anyway I don't have a question just yet so if anyone wants to post one go right ahead and I will save whatever I find for next time.

Hehe yeah wings falling off would be a negative for everyone but the Japanese.

Anyway I don't have a question just yet so if anyone wants to post one go right ahead and I will save whatever I find for next time.

Since it wont let me edit my previous post (I assume it is too old) I will try a pictorial question for a change...

What badge is this...

badge.jpg

The SS anti partisan badge, in bronze. It is a very rare badge, so take good care of it if you're the owner.

Exactly, initially issued for anti-partisan work in Yugoslavia and some times refered to as the Guerrilla Warfare Badge.

You are correct that it is the bronze one awarded for 20 combat days for ground troops and 30 days for Luftwaffe crews, the one I have is the silver version for 50 and 75 days respectively "liberated" by an uncle in Trieste at the end of the war.

Which means you are up next. :)

Ok while we wait for LeE's question I will throw another one up...

1) Name the type of aircraft.
2) Name the unit flying it.

aircraft.jpg

Back