WWII Quiz

OK I'll ask another, quick, easy one.

Everyone's heard of the Battle of Kursk in July 1943, but what was significant about the planning and execution of it from the German side? A bit vague I know but trying not to make it too obvious.

OK I'll ask another, quick, easy one.

Everyone's heard of the Battle of Kursk in July 1943, but what was significant about the planning and execution of it from the German side? A bit vague I know but trying not to make it too obvious.

Well I guess I will start the ball rolling, Kursk was one of the few battles where Hitler allowed the General Staff a high level of control over the planning and execution of the battle.

OK no-one else is biting so here's the answer...

The significance about the planning and execution of it from the German side was that it largely ignored Blitzkrieg methods and instead reverted to Kesselschlacht (cauldron battle) operations more reminiscent of WWI, using the traditional double-pincer movement. It could be argued that this battle marked the end of the first era of combined arms operations and the Soviet counterattack marked the beginning of the second era of combined arms operations. In this battle the Germans gave up their advantages (greater tactical ability and mobility) and played directly into the strengths of the Red Army (massed firepower and a large operational reserve) and the outcome was really never in doubt.

Manstein's plan was more daring as there were more things that could go wrong. It also required a small degree of luck but had it gone to plan it would have given Stalin a very bloody nose, perhaps the loss of 2 Soviet Fronts, equivalent to 2 German field armies. More importantly though it would have helped dictate German strategy on the Eastern Front to be one of elastic defence. This would have maximized the strengths of the Wehrmacht and would have inflicted even heavier Soviet casualties than historically.

In 1945, the Red Army was beginning to run short of manpower. Had Manstein been allowed his head (with either him or Guderian being given Manstein's proposed role of commander-in-chief in the East (Oberbefehlshaber Ost)), then I think that it might have been possible for the Germans to bleed the Red Army white. This would not have saved Germany from ultimate defeat but might have changed the face of post-war Europe.

I guess the two day limit is up so I will try a question:

June 29 1942 a flight took place which was the only one of its kind during WW2 (although there are a lot of myths that others took place):
- Who flew the mission (nationality)
- What was its point of origin and destination.

On June 29, 1942, Capt. Charles Kegelman and his crew, 2d Lt. Randall Dorton, TSgt. Robert Golay, and Sgt. Bennie Cunningham flew the first combat sortie by a USAAF bomber crew in the European theater as part of a 12 plane formation of 226 Squadron Bostons against Hazebrouck marsalling yard.

I'm not sure of the origin, but these may have been the 15th Bomb Squadron who's aircraft had not yet arrived from the US. They were working under the guidance of RAF 226 Squadron at Swanton Morley.

This suggests to me that they may have flown British registered bombers or flew with British crews?

Go figure two unique events on one day but this wasn't the one I was looking for.

The event I am looking for occurred once only during WW2 and had no follow on.

The one thing that worries me about this question is that it may have a disputed answer.

Last edited:
This may have been an Italian flight to Japan using a special version of the SM.75 transport aircraft. The commander of the aircraft was Ten. Col. Antonio Moscatelli,

The take off took place from the airport of Guidonia (Rome) at 5:50 GMT of June 29 with stops at Zaporoskie airfield, Ukraina and Pao Tow Chen, Mongolia, this finally arrived possibly on July 3? in Tokyo.

Indeed it was, I figured it may be a contested answer as many (including myself) thought that the Germans had flown several flights over Russia in JU-290's but apparently this is not the case.

Interesting question MontyB.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_Ju_290
three Ju 290s, carrying extra fuel tanks, made a non-stop flight to Manchuria to exchange technical data with the Japanese. They returned with rare metals needed by Germany for special alloys.

I vaguely recall a report of a trip in the latter stages of the war between Norway and Japan over the pole but perhaps this is another 'story'.

Interesting question MontyB.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_Ju_290
three Ju 290s, carrying extra fuel tanks, made a non-stop flight to Manchuria to exchange technical data with the Japanese. They returned with rare metals needed by Germany for special alloys.

I vaguely recall a report of a trip in the latter stages of the war between Norway and Japan over the pole but perhaps this is another 'story'.

Yep apparently there were several planned attempts by Germany but all were effectively torpedoed by either war related problems or the Japanese not wishing to cause problems with Russia.

http://www.comandosupremo.com/Triumph.html

Certainly KG200 was in the process of being equipped for such flights in 1944 but it is not reported that the aircraft were available by the end of the war.
Further to this Albert Speer noted in his own memoirs that flights to Japan ("Manchuria") were flown by civil test pilots and not millitary crews but Wolf Baumgart who flew with KG200 said that flights to Japan, Manchuria were discussed but never flown.

This was from "KG-200 The Luftwaffe Most Secret Unit" by Geofrey Thomas and Barry Ketley

Last edited:
Talking about abandoned projects, one such idea is the subject of my next question.

Who produced a lengthy war winning memorandum suggesting one of the most ambitious naval operations ever proposed just a few days after getting into office

What was it called, what did it involve, and by what means was it scuppered. As a bonus who was sacked due to the total opposition to the plan.

A clue, the project was scuppered on 20 Jan 1940. It is not very difficult to guess who dreamed up this 'ambitious' plan in a few days!

A clue, the project was scuppered on 20 Jan 1940. It is not very difficult to guess who dreamed up this 'ambitious' plan in a few days!
Hehe this question is annoying me as I know the answer but I can't for the life of me find it.

It was Winston Churchill's plan...

I think it had something to do with large emplacements in the middle of the English channel used to alert to a German Invasion...

Back