Should military spending be reduced?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C/1Lt Henderson said:
Well, given that my mother is skeptical of on-line forums such as these, it would have been near impossible for me to know...(Dont worry men, I stick up for ya!)

People can use drugs anywhere; how do you know he knows you have the dog over and take it to a friends house?...My point is, how can you be 100% certain? Even police dogs can make mistakes....

Rocky has never given a false response.

You also don't know the neighborhood I live in.

Senior Chief said:
You don't have to agree with Uncle Sam, you have that freedom. What happens to you if you comment on your government in a like manner?

Nothing, its totally accepted.

Senior Cief said:
Most people that do not live in the U.S. have little clue as to what our society is like. You see only what you want to see and show blatant disrespect for what you disagree with.

I can to certain extend agree with you there, we dont see what we want to see but, what you are showing us. Of course there is a lot that slips thru...

Ace said:
The question is why?? And at what cost?? This thread is actually based on is our priorities right...

I belive it was G.Orwell who wrote "Ask not what you are walling out, but what you are walling in"

I totally agree with you as a servicemember that more money to military is positive, we get better at what we do, get bether equipment and so on.... but as a responsible member of my society I also feel an reponsebility that my nation is run in a best way possible for ALL its inhabitants.

And if I were an American citizen before "war on terror" I would have said " hey look, right now we got more serious internal issues to adress. Lets get the men responsible (of course) then let international politics wait a minute...

You don't seem to understand. What ever the cost, it is worth it.

Show me any country in the world that does not have internal issues.

Have you not been paying attention to the efforts since 9/11? Have you not seen the proactive measures taken to slow down terrorist attacks? Do you have access to the internal workings of the Homeland Defense Department? The CIA? The FBI?, etc.?

What you need to realize is that your country is not immune from the same type of attacks that we endured, you just have not been a target up to now. After you have lost your first 3000 citizens to a terrorist attack and have lived through the next 5 or so years, come back and tell us how you single handedly fixed the problem.

Ace said:
Nothing, its totally accepted.

I can to certain extend agree with you there, we dont see what we want to see but, what you are showing us. Of course there is a lot that slips thru...

First, I don't believe that your government is that open minded.

Second, You don't see what WE are showing you, what you see is what the political liberal media is showing you. They have an agenda that does nothing more than lie by omission and that is when they are not outright lying. The few media sources on the other side are just as bad in trying to counter what the liberal side of the house is showing.

The days of reporting the news and letting us decide what it means to us, as well as what the outsiders see and interpet regarding our country has long left the airways. We will never get back to it. It's almost as bad as when the Soviet News Agency reported world events to their people. It was never fact and was mostly slanted to make the communists look good.

Senior Chief said:
You don't seem to understand. What ever the cost, it is worth it.

Show me any country in the world that does not have internal issues.

Have you not been paying attention to the efforts since 9/11? Have you not seen the proactive measures taken to slow down terrorist attacks? Do you have access to the internal workings of the Homeland Defense Department? The CIA? The FBI?, etc.?

What you need to realize is that your country is not immune from the same type of attacks that we endured, you just have not been a target up to now. After you have lost your first 3000 citizens to a terrorist attack and have lived through the next 5 or so years, come back and tell us how you single handedly fixed the problem.

Dont misunderstand me please. We (rest of the world) are of course greatful that US and allies does action to reduce terorrist attack. I hope you and your allies (among them, us) do such a good job that either you or I or Mbutu in Somalia or Ali in Tikrit never ever needs to loose 3000 of our friends, neighbours, reletives etc.

At least I hope we can agree to this, though we dont neccesseraly agree on the roadmap to our common goal.. :cheers:

Ace said:
Dont misunderstand me please. We (rest of the world) are of course greatful that US and allies does action to reduce terorrist attack. I hope you and your allies (among them, us) do such a good job that either you or I or Mbutu in Somalia or Ali in Tikrit never ever needs to loose 3000 of our friends, neighbours, reletives etc.

At least I hope we can agree to this, though we dont neccesseraly agree on the roadmap to our common goal.. :cheers:

Check your PM

Senior Chief said:
First,
The days of reporting the news and letting us decide what it means to us, as well as what the outsiders see and interpet regarding our country has long left the airways. We will never get back to it. It's almost as bad as when the Soviet News Agency reported world events to their people. It was never fact and was mostly slanted to make the communists look good.

Ah, here we couldnt agreed more. The cooperations with one foot in media and the other in example weapons industri isnt exactly helping (see the reply where DDR are quoted)

But I was under the impression that it was the right wing who controlled media in US with Time, NBC etc.... guess I was wrong.

Ace said:
Ah, here we couldnt agreed more. The cooperations with one foot in media and the other in example weapons industri isnt exactly helping (see the reply where DDR are quoted)

But I was under the impression that it was the right wing who controlled media in US with Time, NBC etc.... guess I was wrong.

Currently we have a large portion of the mainstream media that leans so far to the left that they even are all left handed!!! j/k

I think there are some minor affiliates that try to buck the system but for the most part left is the direction they lean. FOX tends to be the only conservative outlet and they are as dimeterically(sp for the squirt that checks spelling) opposed to the others as they can be.

C/1Lt Henderson said:
I dont check posts for spelling...I just read them. And the media for the most part is left-winged.

C/1Lt Henderson said:
EDIT: Its spelt arrogant...just thought you ought to know.

It seems as if you have forgotten something!

I don't use spell checker, if you are looking for typo's this is the place because I do not invoke it. Takes too much time when not doing engineering work.

Holyshit you guys really took off in the last 24 hours. I can understand that the media is ****ed up, but then most people think X news station has an extremist view on issues. It's their audience and how they can best maximize their viewership to watch so that ads bring in more money. It's all money, which is the real problem here, greed is screwing up the rational thought that idk, wrote the constitution and such.

On the military spending i'm still where i stand on it, reduce it overtime to maintainable levels in the future while using the extra money into improving various civilian areas and helping out internationally. No one can mount any sort of vast military operation on us anyway so we'll be fine. Fighting Terrorism is a matter of intelligence gathering and workiing with other nations, that's the most efficient way of doing it.

WarMachine said:
Holyshit you guys really took off in the last 24 hours. I can understand that the media is ****ed up, but then most people think X news station has an extremist view on issues. It's their audience and how they can best maximize their viewership to watch so that ads bring in more money. It's all money, which is the real problem here, greed is screwing up the rational thought that idk, wrote the constitution and such.

On the military spending i'm still where i stand on it, reduce it overtime to maintainable levels in the future while using the extra money into improving various civilian areas and helping out internationally. No one can mount any sort of vast military operation on us anyway so we'll be fine. Fighting Terrorism is a matter of intelligence gathering and workiing with other nations, that's the most efficient way of doing it.

You fail to realize that the social problems are being addressed at the same time the military budget is being set.

We have reduced the size of our military since I first joined the Navy in 1970. There have been some up times and some down times (especially down when Jimmy Carter nearly gutted and burried the military as well as the up times when Ronald Reagan saw what had happend and started building the Navy back to a 600 ship force) Now the Navy is nearly at 300 ships and we have barely enough battle groups to handle anything other than a minor skirmish.

Granted the Soviets are not around any more, but the splinter countries that have their remaining equipment can be just as deadly as the Soviets ever were and have no compulsion to restrict release of weapons.

When you are elected as Pope youj can change the course of the country as you see fit. Personally I don't see you getting that distinction though.

When I am elected as pope, oh things will change sir, first i'll send into motion a search for the true cross, that'll keep people busy.

But enough about blackmail at the college of cardinals, that's not what this is about. A strong navy is indeed important when you have so many assets overseas, but a less strong navy isn't going to send us into a cycle of being preyed upon by vikings. We have overcome pirates before and i think our navy can handle them again.

Rogue nations on the other hand might just send drug crazed swimmers at us with grenades in their mouths to strike our ships with, i realize what a deadly threat that is but i have an answer. We shoot the swimmers before they hit our ships, that goes for the kamikaze seagulls as well.

It's a good thing as well that the naval forces of Zheng He and his massive wooden ships aren't threatening the seas anymore. China will have to tread more carefully when it comes to threatening their nearby coasts again. Because america and her gunboat diplomacy is still in tip top shape and has had plent of practice lately.

WarMachine said:
When I am elected as pope, oh things will change sir, first i'll send into motion a search for the true cross, that'll keep people busy.

But enough about blackmail at the college of cardinals, that's not what this is about. A strong navy is indeed important when you have so many assets overseas, but a less strong navy isn't going to send us into a cycle of being preyed upon by vikings. We have overcome pirates before and i think our navy can handle them again.

Rogue nations on the other hand might just send drug crazed swimmers at us with grenades in their mouths to strike our ships with, i realize what a deadly threat that is but i have an answer. We shoot the swimmers before they hit our ships, that goes for the kamikaze seagulls as well.

It's a good thing as well that the naval forces of Zheng He and his massive wooden ships aren't threatening the seas anymore. China will have to tread more carefully when it comes to threatening their nearby coasts again. Because america and her gunboat diplomacy is still in tip top shape and has had plent of practice lately.

I would try to explain the world to you but I see that you don't actually have a grasp on reality. Honestly, I don't think it's that you don't know any thing of value, you don't even suspect anything!

WarMachine, since names are supposed to tell everyone a little bit about yourself, like for instance Chief's name comes from the fact that he was a.... master chief? (the only rank system I know is Army, sorry, I borrowed master chief from the game Halo) at the time of retirement, my middle name is Damien, hence where Damien435 comes in. WarMachine in no way represents your personality or your lifestyle in general, please change it to something more accurate to something like "TreeHuggingHippy" or "OblivioustotheRealitiesofthisWorld".

Ratchet down ... do not make me warn you all again or I will be forced to become trigger happy with the ban rifle.

RnderSafe said:
Ratchet down ... do not make me warn you all again or I will be forced to become trigger happy with the ban rifle.
Might not be a bad idea, from what I have seen on this thread.

I'm sorry for those of you who didn't understand my last post, i thought you were intelligent enough to spot sarcasm. I assure you, from now on i'll underestimate your comprehensive reading skills.

Try this on for size;

One fish
two fish
red fish
blue fish

How many times is fish mentioned?
Isn't learning fun?

Last edited:
Hey, WarMachine, NEWS FLASH! It's the internet, sarcasm is usually spotted in tone of voice and facial expression. Those are hard to do on a forum. Ya dig?

Geographically induced consequences

FYI

IP addresses reveal a lot about anyone on the internet and this is not just letters on a screen, there are real people behind these posts. This might seem safe and sanitised but it is an illusion. It doesn't take a lot of effort to pinpoint who, what, when and where about anyone on the net.

There have been instances of people slagging off veterans on a forum that shall go unnamed that resulted in a few former service members showing up at the offending characters home for a conversation in person.

Bear this in mind when posting, not just here but anywhere. You are not as anonymous as you think you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back