North of the 48th Parallel (Political Humor)

Because supposedly if you bury the cables all your problems with power outages will be solved (according to Ted) and the problem of hitting buried powerlines with heavy equipment has a simple solution, just don't go in that area, keep in mind that this could cut a field in half and greatly increase the cost of operating a farm.

And maintenance on buried lines would be a :cen: Whenever the need arose to work on them you would need to drive a tractor with backhoe possibly hundreds of miles (Not easy at 22 mph), set up, then dig, once this was done you could finally work on the problem area of the line, bury it again, pay the owner for damages to their property, and be on your merry way.

Let's up this into perspective here.

South Dakota:
Area: 199,905 km^2
Population: 754,844

The Netherlands:
Area: 41,526 km^2
Population: 16,297,196

Slight difference there, and that is why we do not bury our power lines, and as I said before it is illegal.

I know you are right Damien... only one bit of course:

keep in mind that this could cut a field in half
If you bury them, you can choose where to put them. But the economic costs is more easily shared amongst 16,3 million then 800000. So you burying isn't always to answer, but power black outs are very rare thought. But that might have to do with the fact that extreme weather is also rare :)

Ted said:
I know you are right Damien... only one bit of course:

If you bury them, you can choose where to put them. But the economic costs is more easily shared amongst 16,3 million then 800000. So you burying isn't always to answer, but power black outs are very rare thought. But that might have to do with the fact that extreme weather is also rare :)

Not to mention the fact that if they are not burried to a specific depth and in a certain manner (below the frost line and in conduit) it will cause more problems than fix or prevent. Also, if the ground froze or heaved (due to frost) bad enough to crack the conduit then you have a chance for water to get into the coduit, then you have all sorts of issues. Dig it up and replace it etc. I used to work on phone lines and cable lines. Replacing/repairing aerial lines is much easier and less time consuming than replacing/reparing buried lines. I hated buried lines because you could not tell where the fault was if the whole cable went bad. I only hated aerial lines because I had to carry my ladder all over the place.

Back