Lucky lucky soldiers in Iraq

KC72

18233misdcall4ms.jpg

Goes to show how hard it must be to spot and stop these things.

Who would of thought something like a Nokia cell phone could be turned into a dangerous tool of war.

Edit: How I typed "who" as "how" is beyond me. At least I got the correct letters. :lol:

They origionally used car-door openers to trigger bombs but the range of such a device meant that the insurgent still had to be fairly close to the bomb.

The cell phone IEDs are much better because the bomb can be placed in a deserted location or one with nothing but friendly civillians all around. The insurgent can sit on top of a tall building or a hill thousands of yards and trigger the bomb. And if he is captured? He's just a bird watcher with binoculars and a cell phone.

If you all had been following the news, the interm Iraqi government had shut down all cell phone service during the elections in an effort to thwart such bombs.

actually, you can use anything that produces enough of a charge to set off an ied. a pager would work, and the terrorist doesn't even have to be able to see the ied, he just has to know when to call the pager/cell phone

actually, this is just another case of a really good idea ending up in the wrong hands.

MightyMacbeth said:
Anyways...how come then there is a missed call ???
The terrorist called the cell phone to set off the IED. Somehow, the wiring didn't work as advertised, and the IED didn't go off. Hence, the missed call.

WOuld they be able to retrace the number and get the owner of the ied cell phone as well as the caller?

I've just found out that the cellphone wasn't found in Iraq, but in Madrid, Spain..
It was found in a bag on a train there.

The same picture has been in a Norwegian newspaper.

AJChenMPH said:
MightyMacbeth said:
Anyways...how come then there is a missed call ???
The terrorist called the cell phone to set off the IED. Somehow, the wiring didn't work as advertised, and the IED didn't go off. Hence, the missed call.

The wiring was screwy. I am sure someone looked into the container it was in or found and reported it. That is how they were able to get their hands on the device.

You know, I was thinkin; how easy would it be to buy a trac-phone and activate it? And does that require any information exchange? Im just wondering where they can get an active cell phone.

Back