Korean LCD Tech leaked to China

A Can of Man

Je suis aware
We really ought to have an economic forum....
but anyway...

Two executives have been found guilty of passing information and technology on flat panel displays to the Chinese.
Looks like in a few years Chinese LCDs will rule the global market. Great. Nice going. We ought to have a law that allows public execution through firing squad for this. This is nothing short of treason.

The problem is the Chinese acquire parts of companies and then bring over whole research divisions to China to convert the technology. Korean hybrid car tech and some other display technology are also believed to have been taken but it's not been confirmed yet, the news is too new.

You can find the article here: http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/ It's front page stuff as of August 28th.

Last edited:
We really ought to have an economic forum....
but anyway...

Two executives have been found guilty of passing information and technology on flat panel displays to the Chinese.
Looks like in a few years Chinese LCDs will rule the global market. Great. Nice going. We ought to have a law that allows public execution through firing squad for this. This is nothing short of treason.

The problem is the Chinese acquire parts of companies and then bring over whole research divisions to China to convert the technology. Korean hybrid car tech and some other display technology are also believed to have been taken but it's not been confirmed yet, the news is too new.

You can find the article here: http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/ It's front page stuff as of August 28th.

Woot cheap TVs at Walmart soon.

Congratulations, you are now qualified to be an American citizen!

Umm I qualified to become an American citizen 11 years ago, I just chose to decline it for quality of life reasons.

But on the brighter side we will be receiving even cheaper TV's as we have some dodgy trade deal with China, so I guess we should all thank Korea.

TBH, i don't much care what happens in the world as long as:
a) none of my fellow countrymembers are persecuted/killed for it
or
b) it causes severe economic disrupt (EG oil prices)

Well it means South Korea's going to lose a heck of a lot of money in the coming years. Need to invent something even more amazing and sell it like mad before the Chinese get the designs yet again.

invent it;
make company in America,
farm out production to several chinese factories
assembly at a different factory
no one factory knows what's happening to the components, so there you have it!

unfortunately, that would cost too much...

The Chinese government will visit those individual Chinese factories and put the pieces together. What, do you think they're stupid? They're smarter than us.

oh, i was hiding it from the corporate peoples. make several different companies, basically a web of skeleton companies etc.

i can't be bothered explaining it fully at the moment, i'm not in the best way atm.

Hardened LCD displays are an essential part of all our weapon systems. They have to withstand space travel and tank assaults. They aren't as simple as big screen TVs.

Well it means South Korea's going to lose a heck of a lot of money in the coming years. Need to invent something even more amazing and sell it like mad before the Chinese get the designs yet again.

South Korea need to invent this...

HelmetPaintSprayCan.jpg

Destroys Communist/Marxist on contact.

Last edited:
At this point it'll probably vaporize 70% of the South Korean population.
No, I exaggerate. Probably around 50%.

The Chinese government will visit those individual Chinese factories and put the pieces together. What, do you think they're stupid? They're smarter than us.

Damn straight! Have you guys seen the Nintendo Wii and Apple iPhone knockoffs? Sure they're nothing close to the real thing, but damn are they trying! I think the knockoff version of the Wii was called the Vii (I'm not kidding). Google it and check out the specs and pics. My favorite part is how the disc tray is only there for looks and does not actually eject. The "games" are all preloaded so what you pay for on Day 1 is what you'll get forever. :bravo:

Too bad the controllers will give you lead poisoning. hehehe

Only if you are too lazy to implement your own QC and you eat them, now I don't know about you but I have limited interest in eating a Wii controller and even less in eating a knock off of one.

China has no respect what-so-ever for international copyright agreements, every car made in China is a knock off of a European or American car, with metal parts replaced by plastic wherever possible and while they may look similar, the Chinese products are almost always a mere shell with a very soft center. I was reading a report that said it would be at least 10 years before cars manufactured in China could be brought up to American and European safety standards and that the iClones' features were falling well short of what the iPhone offers. So far none of the clones have been able to integrate all the features of the iPhone, some, many, but not all.

China has no respect what-so-ever for international copyright agreements, every car made in China is a knock off of a European or American car, with metal parts replaced by plastic wherever possible and while they may look similar, the Chinese products are almost always a mere shell with a very soft center. I was reading a report that said it would be at least 10 years before cars manufactured in China could be brought up to American and European safety standards and that the iClones' features were falling well short of what the iPhone offers. So far none of the clones have been able to integrate all the features of the iPhone, some, many, but not all.

Umm they are copies what did you expect?

As a copy they are just a snapshot of the technology they copied and most often of poorer quality which is why they are cheaper.

But many nations have developed their industry this way, lets face it what did Japan invent between 1940 and 1960 other than the art of landing aircraft at high speed without the use of an under carriage and yet that was the most productive period of their industrial development. They copied other technology and eventually improved on it.

Last edited:
Back