Iowa Supreme Court Overturns Gay Marriage Ban

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish you both a nice day, and AZ too -me, I've had a nice day thanks.

The good guys have had a nice day, I reckon.:drink:

No one can prove it or disprove it. No, you never proved me wrong. Because there is no conclusive evidence EITHER WAY. You have no more evidence to your case as I do to mine. And since neither of us is a homosexual, we have no experience in the matter to weigh our opinion more heavily.

You have a nice day too.
Unless you guys get married and embrace homosexuality. :D

p.s. I just want to throw in that I'm not against gay people, I have several friends who are gay.... I just don't agree with gay "marriage." (Of course, I don't agree with straight people getting divorced at a whim either - and it doesn't look like that will be stopping any time soon).

I still have nightmares about "neaters":drunkb:
We never had rum ration in the RAN, but it was always the thing to visit RN mates at Tot time and everyone would give you "sippers". Some senior sailors messes were large, and they used to pile it on a bit, often ending up with over a cup of neaters was a daunting prospect.

Not much got done after that.

But of course. Because Rome was built in a day and I have nothing better to do than dictate someone's life instead of just offering out a suggestion or two.

TOG, referring back to your disrespect of AZ; let me explain that when you are young you feel strong, untouchable, immortal.

When you lose your Dad, even if it is when he is 83, your immortality goes with him.

I no longer feel strong, but I just AM strong; I know myself now; I have judged myself and found myself wanting; I believe in myself.

So I would accept Lenard Cohen's words for an epitaph:-

"I did my best - it wasn't much.
I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch.
And even though it all went wrong,
I'll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my tongue
But Hallelujah."

Now that is not necessarily religious, but an appreciation of life.

And the point is that , like AZ's words, it holds a little humility, which enriches a man.;)

Last edited:
No one can prove it or disprove it. No, you never proved me wrong. Because there is no conclusive evidence EITHER WAY. You have no more evidence to your case as I do to mine. And since neither of us is a homosexual, we have no experience in the matter to weigh our opinion more heavily.

You have a nice day too.

No, I did not prove you wrong, you did that all by yourself when you did not produce sources supporting your position.

There is no definitive answer either way. You cannot prove homosexuals AREN'T born gay, so that makes you wrong, but I can't prove they ARE born gay, so I'm wrong too. I suppose we'll just have to wait for science to figure it out.

We never had rum ration in the RAN, but it was always the thing to visit RN mates at Tot time and everyone would give you "sippers". Some senior sailors messes were large, and they used to pile it on a bit, often ending up with over a cup of neaters was a daunting prospect.

Not much got done after that.

I'm surprised that the RAN didnt have a rum ration, I always thought for some reason that it was general issue among the RN, RAN and the RNZN. Just shows, one is never too old to learn.

I've sampled a few tots of neaters, it was good at the time but as you say, "Not much was done after that."

When the rum ration was done away with, I heard some Matelots were of the verge of mutiny lol.

The fact is that I am a man that has been busting my butt since 1982, has raised 5 kids, lived through two marriages, two wars, and earned everything on my DD214 and then some. I've run crews of 27 MEN, been a squad leader in places your boots will never touch, and a loving father and husband.

You got me with this bit AZ. That could be a book one day. Whether we like it or not, you and I have so much in common, except for the second wife! He-he.

What have I got to show for it? Well, financially, I'm left without a pot to p*** in. Healthwise - don't ask! However down you may feel, you wouldn't want to swap with me on that score! LOL.

We may both be on a downward curve just at the moment , but it always goes up again , if we give it a chance, and don't let stupid opinion from those who know no better grind us down. We both can rise above that; I know who I am - you know who you are. And I must say that you impress me; if that post is your cv, you'll do for me pal! Pity I ain't hiring these days!

I am very big on rock music, if I haven't told you before, and I have a little message here, from me to you friend:-

Big Num – God gave me everything

Last edited:
The original House version:
Southern Democrats: 7-87 (7%-93%)
Southern Republicans: 0-10 (0%-100%)
Northern Democrats: 145-9 (94%-6%)
Northern Republicans: 138-24 (85%-15%)
The Senate version:
Southern Democrats: 1-20 (5%-95%) (only Senator Ralph Yarborough of Texas voted in favor)
Southern Republicans: 0-1 (0%-100%) (this was Senator John Tower of Texas)
Northern Democrats: 45-1 (98%-2%) (only Senator Robert Byrd of West Virginia opposed the measure)
Northern Republicans: 27-5 (84%-16%) (Senators Bourke Hickenlooper of Iowa, Barry Goldwater of Arizona, Edwin L. Mechem of New Mexico, Milward L. Simpson of Wyoming, and Norris H. Cotton of New Hampshire opposed the measure).

That's about the best I could find... It's from Wikipedia, but the original source is cited at the bottom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Rights_Act_of_1964

"That's about the best I could find..." quote Rob Henderson.
How lame a statement is this? Sounds like an excuse a 10 year old would give to his teacher.

So you could not find any statistics to support your "fact" as stated: "It's the fact that the Supreme Court went against the will of the people because they saw the whole picture."

So you try and manipulate a source that does not support your statement.

From Rob's source.
"The Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Pub.L. 88-352, 78 Stat. 241, July 2, 1964)
The act passed by the following Majority vote.
Vote totals

Totals are in "Yea-Nay" format:
  • The original House version: 290-130 (69%-31%)
  • The Senate version: 73-27 (73%-27%)
  • The Senate version, as voted on by the House: 289-126 (70%-30%)"
Where are your sources that support your statement? They do not exist do they?

So you throw out the majority opinion and give us how the losing side voted.

How dumb do you think the people that read this forum are?
You do this forum a disservice by not admitting that you made a totally unsupportable statement.
It also shows you have a complete inability to debate an issue with any kind of logic.
All you wish to do is argue.
This may be a reflection of the deteriorating quality of the educational system in the US. Did you actually graduate from High School? If you are attending college, I doubt seriously you would show this work to your professors.

Remember this Chukpike?

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn3008-homosexuality-is-biological-suggests-gay-sheep-study.html

How the study showed that the same thing that made rams gay, was found to be enlarged in gay men?

Never did dispute that, did you?
"Never did dispute that, did you?"
You are fully aware that I did dispute this statement. Which means you have no problem spreading completely false statements.

No, I did not prove you wrong, you did that all by yourself when you did not produce sources supporting your position.
"There is no definitive answer either way. You cannot prove homosexuals AREN'T born gay, so that makes you wrong, but I can't prove they ARE born gay, so I'm wrong too. I suppose we'll just have to wait for science to figure it out." quote Rob Henderson

Since I only asked for sources for your "Off the Wall" statements I had nothing to prove.

Your trying to deflect away from the fact that you often make "Wild" unsupportable statements will not change the fact that you make them.

"That's about the best I could find..." quote Rob Henderson.
How lame a statement is this? Sounds like an excuse a 10 year old would give to his teacher.
That's it. Right back to the name calling... Sounds like I'm not the only 10 year old on this forum... But I'm a lot closer to 10 than you are.

"Never did dispute that, did you?"
You are fully aware that I did dispute this statement. Which means you have no problem spreading completely false statements.
Not quite. You never came up with a good argument. As usual, you took to name calling instead.
"There is no definitive answer either way. You cannot prove homosexuals AREN'T born gay, so that makes you wrong, but I can't prove they ARE born gay, so I'm wrong too. I suppose we'll just have to wait for science to figure it out." quote Rob Henderson

Since I only asked for sources for your "Off the Wall" statements I had nothing to prove.

Your trying to deflect away from the fact that you often make "Wild" unsupportable statements will not change the fact that you make them.
And your trying to prove something as right by proving that there is no answer either way doesn't change the fact that you're as wrong as I am.

Can you prove to me that gays are NOT born that way? Show me sources that say gays all choose to be gay.

That's it. Right back to the name calling... Sounds like I'm not the only 10 year old on this forum... But I'm a lot closer to 10 than you are.
I said your statement sounded like an excuse a 10 year old would make. Don't believe that is name calling.

Not quite. You never came up with a good argument. As usual, you took to name calling instead.
If I didn't, why did you change from saying Gays were born that way?

And your trying to prove something as right by proving that there is no answer either way doesn't change the fact that you're as wrong as I am.
I did not do this, you are the one who repeated tries this.
Your statement:

Can you prove to me that gays are NOT born that way? Show me sources that say gays all choose to be gay.
I do not have too, I never made the claim.

Whatever, Yada, Yada Yada.....
Easy question Rob;
What is that Brown Stuff coming out of your ears?

Quit it, guys. Please.

We can all agree to disagree.

Everyone has their sense of right and wrong, and everyone has their sense of the right way to defend their position.

There is no need to cut the jugular, here. In the end, we are all friends. Can we concentrate on the service of so many that gave us the provision of being here ad disagreeing?

There doesn't need to be any hate or blame between people that see an issue on different terms.

Absolutely AZ. I couldn't find the words to say as much. They have both made their points very strongly. Time to shake on it.:)

Last edited:
I said your statement sounded like an excuse a 10 year old would make. Don't believe that is name calling.
Telling me something I said sounds like a 10 year old excuse is calling me a 10 year old. But like I said, it only further proves that you have to say things like that to try and plug the holes in your dam of an argument.

If I didn't, why did you change from saying Gays were born that way?
I've never said that I know they're born that way. I believe they are, but there's no way to prove it either way. Which really throws the validity of your entire argument out the window.

I do not have too, I never made the claim.
You've made it perfectly clear that you believe they aren't born that way... So prove it.
Whatever, Yada, Yada Yada.....
Easy question Rob;
What is that Brown Stuff coming out of your ears?
Must be something you put in there. Again, you say things completely irrelevant to the topic at hand, which is considered flaming on the forum.

Hey, what is this, a debate, or the full 15 round knock 'em down, drag 'em out and kill 'em bout; remember you have to pay more for that, and I am John L Sullivan,the reigning culprit. I reckon you have done well, why not do as AZ suggests?

Last edited:
That's a totally invalid argument. I could say your statement made you sound like Albert Einstein, but that doesn't give you a degree in physics.

Del Boy: Okay, so age has humility. Does it also give permission to attempt to humiliate those younger with the whole line of "Someday you'll understand" bull**** and a line of how everyone has it harder than me? Are you suggesting that I lack the appreciation of life that others who are older might have? Have you missed my arguments during the course of this thread in trying to give equal rights to others? Perhaps being closer to death makes one more appreciative of life? Please do enlighten me on this.

That's a totally invalid argument. I could say your statement made you sound like Albert Einstein, but that doesn't give you a degree in physics.

Del Boy: Okay, so age has humility. Does it also give permission to attempt to humiliate those younger with the whole line of "Someday you'll understand" bull**** and a line of how everyone has it harder than me? Are you suggesting that I lack the appreciation of life that others who are older might have? Have you missed my arguments during the course of this thread in trying to give equal rights to others? Perhaps being closer to death makes one more appreciative of life? Please do enlighten me on this.

You are not a Moderator. Also please stick to the subject which the Iowa Supreme court decision on Gay marriage.

Your post is made in defense of Rob Henderson's comment.

He can very well defend himself without any help from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back