India destroys Somali pirate ship

PS. Compared to your average rusty trusty AK47 what is a the accurate range of a fire hose?

About the same, if you've got the average Somali pirate and a well-trained DC crew, respectively. Depends on the hose, nozzle, and pump, of course, if they're using an auxiliary it's not going to be nearly as effective.

So the world has finally figured out how to deal with the Pirate problem. (slow clap).

You know the current anthem of the USMC contains a verse in the chorus about the US attack on Tripoli (a Pirate Nation) and that was in 1803.

I don't mean to sound cynical, but piracy isn't exactly anything new, almost every continent has had a piracy problem at one point or another dating back to ancient Greece. And historically, in almost every case, The most effective way to deal with pirates is to simply blow them out of the water.

Naaaa the world has known how to deal with pirates since Blackbeard, we have just become so politically correct that its not right or kind to sink a ship full of pirates, I think they should sink ALL pirate ships, make them legends in story books.

Which assumes that our people have the stomach for the deaths of hostages that will inevitably happen with such a policy, awfully big assumption.

I disagree this to me falls into the "I am going to a war torn country to sell god, opps I have been taken hostage" scenario, once you enter an area of known danger it is up to you to provide your own security.

The only thing that has defeated piracy in the past has been to hunt them down and exterminate them, paying ransoms just encourages them to become bolder.

I disagree this to me falls into the "I am going to a war torn country to sell god, opps I have been taken hostage" scenario, once you enter an area of known danger it is up to you to provide your own security.

The only thing that has defeated piracy in the past has been to hunt them down and exterminate them, paying ransoms just encourages them to become bolder.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Wise words from a wise man, you pay a ransom to a pirate, you basically tell him that you Will pay for him to not hijack your ships. Kinda like the mob with its "protection", you pay the monthly fee, your store profits, you don't pay you get vandalized or killed.

Contrary to popular opinion, this is NOT a kinder gentler world, this is a very nasty world Let pirates do what they want and you might as well cancel international shipping.

I'm with you, as are most people here, but MilForums is going to have a slightly different opinion from HipForums (International Hippy Forums, there's bound to be one out there.) and most of the people are going to fall somewhere in between. My generation has been raised to believe that fighting is never the answer and to use words to resolve differences. Hard to undo years of indoctrination from such a young age. I saw we send in the SEALS, Delta and Force Recon and take back the ships by force, but that won't fly with most people.

Solving these problems with words should always be the first choice but at some point you have to move to the next step and I believe that in the case of Somalian piracy talking has clearly failed.
Personally I think it is now imperative that governments do all in their power to prevent the ransoms being made and the ships be retaken or destroyed along with its captors and anyone else on board, now this may be harsh on the crew but once these pirates learn that taking hostages will not save them and they will not get a cent for their actions they may decide that suicide is not a rewarding profession.

I also think that once the crews of these vessels realised that they are in grave danger just by sailing in these waters they will start demanding protection to do so which will solve the piracy issue as well.

If the west has an issue with getting unfriendly do a deal with the Russians or Chinese I am pretty sure they wont have too many qualms about blowing a few pirates out of the water.

Solving these problems with words should always be the first choice but at some point you have to move to the next step and I believe that in the case of Somalian piracy talking has clearly failed.

I also think that once the crews of these vessels realised that they are in grave danger just by sailing in these waters they will start demanding protection to do so which will solve the piracy issue as well.

Agreed.

The Iranian Embassy siege in London in April 1980 being a case in point. I cant remember what the siege was all about, not that I care. Negotiations were tried and failed miserably leading to the death of one hostage, executed by the terrorists.

The SAS and SBS went in and sorted the situation out, killing all the terrorists except one. He only escaped with his life because the trooper who was about to shoot him was told “No, there are TV camera's.” Pity he didn't shoot the scum bag live on TV as a warning to other terrorists. The point is, how many more embassies in London have been taken over since? As far as I am aware, none.

This is the sort of treatment need to be handed out to pirates, no trial just shoot the scum bags out of hand. Judge, jury and executioner? Damn right.

Agreed.

The Iranian Embassy siege in London in April 1980 being a case in point. I cant remember what the siege was all about, not that I care. Negotiations were tried and failed miserably leading to the death of one hostage, executed by the terrorists.

The SAS and SBS went in and sorted the situation out, killing all the terrorists except one. He only escaped with his life because the trooper who was about to shoot him was told “No, there are TV camera's.” Pity he didn't shoot the scum bag live on TV as a warning to other terrorists. The point is, how many more embassies in London have been taken over since? As far as I am aware, none.

But when was the last time an embassy staff was held hostage in London before 1980?

Just so the world knows, I'm for hire to combat Pirates :)

My Terms are as follows:
(1) you supply the ships and armament I request
(2) I pick the crew
(3) no questions about what I do to captured pirates is asked
(4) myself and my crew receive international diplomatic immunity from arrest
(5) 2 small heavily armed helicopters that will fit on the ship.
(6) I pick the pilots and helicopter crew.

In return I will provide as much defense from pirates as humanly possible 24-7

DOH!!!!

I am sorry but this is funny...

'Navy sunk my trawler, not pirates'

Arjun Ramachandran
November 26, 2008 - 4:41PM

A so-called pirate "mother ship" sunk by the Indian navy off Somalia last week was just a Thai fishing trawler, its owner claims.
A member of the trawler's crew who survived heavy gunfire in the attack has also been plucked alive from the Gulf of Aden after spending six days adrift in the ocean, CNN reported.
But 14 other members of the crew are still missing and another has been confirmed dead, according to the boat's owner Wicharn Sirichaiekawat.
The owner's claims have now sparked a war of words with the Indian Navy, which last week had boasted taking down a "mother ship".
"Pirates were seen roaming on the upper deck of this vessel with guns and rocket propelled grenade launchers," the navy said last week.
But Mr Wicharn said: "The sunken ship which the Indian navy claimed was a 'mother ship' of pirates was not the 'mother ship' at all."
He said it was a fishing trawler, Ekawat Nava 5, sailing from Oman to Yemen.
Despite the owner's claims, the Indian Navy insists its ship, the INS Tabar, had fired at a pirate vessel which had threatened to attack it.
"We fired in self-defence and in response to firing on our vessel. It was a pirate vessel in international waters and its stance was aggressive," Commodore Nirad Sinha, a navy spokesman, told the Times of India.
"We don't know in what context such claims are being made," he said.
It appears the fishing trawler had been seized by pirates shortly before it was sunk by the Indian Navy.
Mr Wicharn said the Ekawat Nava 5 in the Gulf of Aden last Tuesday when it was attacked by Somali pirates in two speedboats, the BBC said.
The pirates were boarding the ship when INS Tabar sailed into view and demanded it stop for investigation, Mr Wicharn said.
But the Indian navy said the "pirate ship" had responded by threatening to blow it up "if it closed on her", before firing at the warship, the BBC reported.
Noel Choong, of the International Maritime Bureau's piracy reporting center, confirmed last week that a band of pirates had seized a Thai ship with 16 crew members.
Mr Wicharn said he learned what had happened to his boat from a Cambodian crew member, who survived the horrific gunfire and drifted in the ocean for six days before he was plucked to safety by a passing ship, CNN said.
The sailor was recovering in a hospital in Yemen, he said.
Almost 40 ships have been seized by Somali pirates so far this year, BBC reported.
India is one of several countries patrolling the Gulf of Aden, one of the world's busiest shipping lanes. France, India, South Korea, Russia, Spain, the US and Nato also have a presence in the region.

But when was the last time an embassy staff was held hostage in London before 1980?

As far as I am aware, no embassy sieges before or since 1980. So whats your point? If I remember correctly there were people on a roof near the embassy holding up a huge sign "Free the Yanks" being held at the US Embassy in Iran, who were finally released by the Iranians in January 1981, 444 days after capture

However, in 1975 there was a siege by IRA terrorists at a flat in Balcombe Street for 6 days. They gave up when told the SAS were being called in. There was another the same year, three armed robbers took six Italians hostage in the Knightsbridge Spaghetti House. This time the SAS were not involved.

Just so the world knows, I'm for hire to combat Pirates :)

My Terms are as follows:
(1) you supply the ships and armament I request
(2) I pick the crew
Whats the pay like? :rambo:
(3) no questions about what I do to captured pirates is asked
(4) myself and my crew receive international diplomatic immunity from arrest
(5) 2 small heavily armed helicopters that will fit on the ship.
(6) I pick the pilots and helicopter crew.

In return I will provide as much defense from pirates as humanly possible 24-7

Last edited:
Rare events are rare by their very nature and in many cases our reactions mean very little for their outcomes. A situation which has taken place only once in the entire history of England probably qualifies as a rare event where our reactions are meaningless to the likelihood of it happening again. America's attempt to free the Iranian hostages with force was a miserable failure yet nobody has held an American embassy hostage since 1981.

Rare events are rare by their very nature and in many cases our reactions mean very little for their outcomes. A situation which has taken place only once in the entire history of England probably qualifies as a rare event where our reactions are meaningless to the likelihood of it happening again. America's attempt to free the Iranian hostages with force was a miserable failure yet nobody has held an American embassy hostage since 1981.

I'm not altogether sure what your point was. Although I am quite sure that a “rare” event of taking pirates down with special forces would encourage them to choose a safer form of employment.

In Thailand they shoot fish with RPGs.

They could be armoured fish in that part of the world?

I suspect someone has had their boat sunk and discovered that writing "pirate vessel" in "purpose of ship" section of the insurance claim hasn't worked out well.

As far as I am aware, no embassy sieges before or since 1980. So whats your point? If I remember correctly there were people on a roof near the embassy holding up a huge sign "Free the Yanks" being held at the US Embassy in Iran, who were finally released by the Iranians in January 1981, 444 days after capture

However, in 1975 there was a siege by IRA terrorists at a flat in Balcombe Street for 6 days. They gave up when told the SAS were being called in. There was another the same year, three armed robbers took six Italians hostage in the Knightsbridge Spaghetti House. This time the SAS were not involved.

Whats the pay like? :rambo:
Dunno, I gues sthat would depend on a couple of things, (1) how many crew I'd need to accomplish teh mission, (2) how much countries are wiling to pay a 3rd party to do their work for them.

Hi,

India is also moving in Destroyer - INS Delhi to the region as well .. Right now we have INS Tabar . which has seen action 3 times in two weeks sinking 1 Pirate ship and last week The warship responded by sending out a helicopter to the area which chased away the pirate vessel. :)

Indian Navy must be happy to have exercised its power in defence of others.. Jai Hind :salute:

Pity that international treaties and sovereign rights of nations interfere with effective naval protection for craft on the high seas, (or inside territorial waters, as the case may be)... :m16:

Turns out it was a Thai fishing trawler. Woops.

Not quite, it was a Thai Trawler that was in the process of being boarded by pirates when the Indian Navy intervened. It wasn't a Pirate Ship but there were pirates on board, and they did fire at the Frigate.

Back