How nice...

Just goes to show how screwed up northern ireland is, i think people in the republic need to keep an eye on how much power gsien fain get in irish politics.

I wonder why they felt the need to head down to Ireland to do their little march? Sounds like two guilty parties here to me. One baiting the hook, the other taking the bait.

Okay, I'm confusing. Are Ireland and Northren Ireland don't like each other? Am I right?

Northern Ireland is run by Britain, the population is split between Potestants who wish to remain British and Catholics who wan't Northern Ireland to be a part of the Republic of Ireland (unification).

Serves them right! Year after year they provoke Catholics in Belfast by marching through Catholics quarters. They want to remember their victory at the Boine centuries ago... When things finally quit down the Orangists come and expect to walk through their residential area's and for what reason? Why there and not in their (much much bigger) part of Belfast.

Now they go down to Dublin and expect the same degree of freedom to march their march in Catholic area. I don't think so and so did many others. I reckon that if they want to make a point, just send a delegation and not an entire squadron of protestors. Sure, they have a right to protest, but with decades of unrest this wasn't the most prudent thing to do!

Actually the march was organised by a group called Love Ulster and was supposed to highlight the the victims of IRA violence, which they feel is being ignored and forgotten in the current political climate. That being said their march contained various Union flags and a loyalist marching band, but the response was not spontanious violence, it was organised by sein fein by bringing in busses republicans from the north to counter the Loyalist march.

Some good pics here
http://www.indymedia.ie/article/74507

I think it will take some time before loyalists can march in Dublin even if Sinn Fein is involved in the organisation. The is still of lot of bad blood... on both sides. The opening has been created and now time needs to heal the wounds.

KC72 said:
Actually the march was organised by a group called Love Ulster and was supposed to highlight the the victims of IRA violence, which they feel is being ignored and forgotten in the current political climate. That being said their march contained various Union flags and a loyalist marching band, but the response was not spontanious violence, it was organised by sein fein by bringing in busses republicans from the north to counter the Loyalist march.

Some good pics here
http://www.indymedia.ie/article/74507

The thing is, a lot more people in Ireland lost loved ones to the Brits and Loyalist paramilitaries/terrorist groups than they did to the IRA.

The group knew what they were doing when they went down to Ireland to hold their little march, they wanted a reaction and they got it. There aren't any clean hands on this one, but then again, rarely with N. Ireland violence there ever is, despite how the media likes to portray it.

The IRA killed more people in Northern Ireland than the UVF,UDA/UFF AND THE RUC/BRITISH ARMY put together so the next time your going to make a statement about Northern Ireland at least get your facts right.

british and best said:
The IRA killed more people in Northern Ireland than the UVF,UDA/UFF AND THE RUC/BRITISH ARMY put together so the next time your going to make a statement about Northern Ireland at least get your facts right.

Well, but my facts are correct, I didn't say anything about N. Ireland deaths.

The thing is, a lot more people in Ireland lost loved ones to the Brits and Loyalist paramilitaries/terrorist groups than they did to the IRA.

Surely you know the difference between Ireland and N. Ireland? Look through history and read how many Irish were killed during British rule in Ireland up until its independence and even some after.

As for your comment, that's not really true either and is a pretty large exaggeration made to show your own favortisim of a couple of terrorist organizations. They're about even on the amount of innocent deaths they've caused. I would like to think, regardless of your loyalties, you do not support any terrorist organization.

You can get angry and offended all you want, but the fact will remain is that in N. Ireland, there is blood on both sides of the fence. One is just as guilty as the other and it is the innocents that have taken the brunt.

british and best said:

I thought we were talking about marches. I know that I am an outsider on the deeper issues of The troubles. But I find it an unnecessary provocation and really really childish to have the Orange march through the Catholic area's in Belfast. It is stubborness beyond my comprehension! When things are finally cooling down a bit and then you have these idiots marching around tearing open old wounds, year after year after year after bloody year. And they think it is strange that things instantly heat up again. How daft can you be?

ted the thing about our march's are that the orange order has walked those routes for hundreds ov years and its only in the last 10 or 15 years that they've suddenly became offensive and another thing is out off the hundreds off march's a year theres only a handful off contensious ones.

But if you know it will stir up a hornet's nest, is it really too much to say: let's take a different route. If the last 15 editions ended in a pitch battle I call it a provocation to march their a sixteenth time.
You say you want a settlement, well, that takes some sacrifice. I reckon a silly march is a good thing to drop!

e if we sacrafice our culture we might as well sacrfice our indentity and leave the uk for a united ireland but that will never happen and near will our desire to walk our traditional routes wether they be through catholic areas or protestant
but sur​

british and best said:
e if we sacrafice our culture we might as well sacrfice our indentity and leave the uk for a united ireland but that will never happen and near will our desire to walk our traditional routes wether they be through catholic areas or protestant
but sur​
See also: Stubborn and just as guilty for any violence as the other side. :mrgreen:

british and best said:
but sur​
I'll just say: Unionists and Catholics deserve eachother! What are we talking about? You'd rather have another 15 year urban war then walk through another street for one bloody afternoon. They say that war is madness. I'd just like to add; it's the mad that prolong the war!

Its interesting to hear other ppls opinions on this, even though a lot of there facts are wrong!
Both parties were wrong in this case and that is clear. The riots shouldnt of happened in the first place, but why in all fairness would you hold a Love Ulster parade in O Connell street...which is by the way a land mark for the deaths of catholic people! And the comment on the Ira killing more than the UVF,UDA/UFF AND THE RUC/BRITISH ARMY all put together sorry darling but you havent a clue. Both parties killed just as much. It's tit for tat.
The only reason that parade was held in dublin was to cause anger. But I can still see why it 'would' have been a good idea, if it was organised right. Parades in my opinion are a load of shite and should all be banned in Ireland.

Back