Failed States Index

sandy

We are pleased to present the second annual Failed States Index. Tens of thousands of articles from global and regional sources were collected from May to December 2005 using Thomson Dialog. Utilizing our CAST software to do initial analysis of these voluminous documents and with a review by experts, we compiled the scores below.
We encourage others to utilize the Failed States Index to develop ideas for promoting greater stability worldwide. We hope the Index will spur conversations, encourage debate, and most of all help guide strategies for sustainable security.
fsi-map-large.gif

http://fundforpeace.org/programs/fsi/fsindex.php

http://fundforpeace.org/programs/fsi/fsindex2006.php
Ja,I know Iraq is one of the hottest country on the earth.
But,I expected NK is worst 3.
And,where is taiwan?

phoenix80 said:
That's another piece of crap by liberal/leftist institutions.

I don't buy this b***$**t
I hate to say this ... but ... I agree with p80.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
usflag2.gif
I AM AN AMERICAN ... I AM PROUD OF MY COUNTRY ...
ANY PERSON WHO ATTACKS MY COUNTRY WILL HAVE TO GO THROUGH ME ...
IF YOU ARE AN AMERICAN AND HATE AMERICA - THEN PACK YOUR BAGS AND LEAVE.
I WILL NEVER BACK DOWN OR APOLOGISE FOR BEING AN AMERICAN.
However, if you are foreign born, and are seeking a better life -
I will be the first one to extend a hand in welcome.

phoenix80 said:
That's another piece of crap by liberal/leftist institutions.

I don't buy this b***$**t

For you it's always about the liberal/leftist institutions. Sounds like the blame game if you ask me.

Team Infidel said:
For you it's always about the liberal/leftist institutions. Sounds like the blame game if you ask me.

Well, I truly believe the leftists are into the business of portraying the US as a failed state. Don't you think so?

Or you, like those people in that fishy institute, think the US is a failed society?

which is it?

I am moving.... to Australia...

Come on over, the weather is great :cool:

So judging by that map, these countries are just on warning:
Papua New Guinea
East Timor
The Solomon Islands

So thats why our troops are there.... because nothing is wrong.... righto then.

Team Infidel said:

I tend to agree, it seems like the software used is supported by a fairly large cross section of organisations.

I suspect the "liberal/leftist/communist" comments are more determined by reading the name "fund for peace" than anything they may actually stand for.

Hahahaha, what a beautiful thread! Maybe Phoenix, it isn't the blaim game, maybe the republicans are just too thick to acknowlegde the mess they have caused. Then again.... why self-relfect if a known leftist asks you to?

Ted said:
Hahahaha, what a beautiful thread! Maybe Phoenix, it isn't the blaim game, maybe the republicans are just too thick to acknowlegde the mess they have caused. Then again.... why self-relfect if a known leftist asks you to?

Bravo Sierra... It is the leftists who always lie and cause mess

Okay so you look at the map, see USA being monitored and blames it all on the commies... Did you bother to read the indicators the index is based on?

The Twelve Indicators:
I 1 - Mounting Demographic Pressures
I 2 - Massive Movement of Refugees and IDPs
I 3 - Legacy of Vengeance - Seeking Group Grievance
I 4 - Chronic and Sustained Human Flight
I 5 - Uneven Economic Development along Group Lines
I 6 - Sharp and/or Severe Economic Decline
I 7 - Criminalization or Delegitimization of the State
I 8 - Progressive Deterioration of Public Services
I 9 - Widespread Violation of Human Rights
I 10 - Security Apparatus as "State within a State"
I 11 - Rise of Factionalized Elites
I 12 - Intervention of Other States or External Actors

Last edited:
Then it should be called random things thats happening in a state.

Its just hard to take a map seriously when it says that the UK,France and the US need to mointored for collapse. Please.

Rabs, do you ever read a newspaper and lay the link amongst some of the "ransom" things that are in the paper?
1) I read so much about millions of Latino's getting in the US, that it might cause demographic pressure. So monitoring this is useful.
3) I say the war on terrorism and what was this caused by? Yes, vengeance because of 9/11.
5) The rich get ticher under Bush and the poor get poorer.
7) Read the thread about the administration and it malpractices of tapping and infringing on civil rights.
9) Argumentative, but I say Gitmo...
10) The new organisation that has to fight terrorism, isn't it bigger that the NSA, FBI and CIA together? I would definatly call that a state within a state if this is teh case.

In short, The US isn't a failed state but there are surely some points that need some attention... or monitoring? If you look reflectively to this list, then there are many Western nations that could use some monitoring..

Rabs, do you ever read a newspaper and lay the link amongst some of the "ransom" things that are in the paper?
1) I read so much about millions of Latino's getting in the US, that it might cause demographic pressure. So monitoring this is useful.
3) I say the war on terrorism and what was this caused by? Yes, vengeance because of 9/11.
5) The rich get ticher under Bush and the poor get poorer.
7) Read the thread about the administration and it malpractices of tapping and infringing on civil rights.
9) Argumentative, but I say Gitmo...
10) The new organisation that has to fight terrorism, isn't it bigger that the NSA, FBI and CIA together? I would definatly call that a state within a state if this is teh case.
I definetely agree with you on #1 and that basically gives us #2 as well.

Well defending yourself and vengance are kinda the same thing so sure. #3 as well.

#4 White flight is still a problem but not nearly as bad as it used to be.

#5 I still see a pretty healthy middle class(consdiering im part of it, and well just about everyone else in my town.) its not exactly Uganda over
here yet.

However yes I agree Bush's tax plan does un-fairly favor the rich.

#6 Meh, our economy is trucking along ok.

#7 Hmm. I think most Americans still see the US government as our legeitmate government. Most Americans agree with the wire tapping, and I'm not sure the non-domestic wire tapping is Illegal.

#8 Lol, We get new buses here every year that no one uses. Its a gigantic waste of money.

#9 Thats one place, were you have to use the term human loosely. If pooring battery acid down there @$$holes saves American lives by god do it. There not US citizens.

This only applies to non-Iraqi folks. Not Iraqi insurgents, I beleive that if they lived in Iraq and supported the old regime they have the right to fight against the new one. They still need to be captured or killed, but they should also be protected by the geneva convention.

#10 The DHS just pulls all the info collected by those other sources you mentioned and feeds them to people that can connect the dots. I really dont see the state within a state refrence there.

See, I agree with almost everything you said. I just cant see in my right mind the US government needing to be monitored for collapse.

To say that the US government is near collapse is to deny over 200 years of democracy with all of it's ups and downs. We have faced worse problems in the past and we survived ... we shall survive the problems of today also.

As far as I am concerned ... this "Failed State Index" isn't worth the paper it is printed on.

Did you bother to read the indicators the index is based on?

The Twelve Indicators:
I 1 - Mounting Demographic Pressures
I 2 - Massive Movement of Refugees and IDPs
I 3 - Legacy of Vengeance - Seeking Group Grievance
I 4 - Chronic and Sustained Human Flight
I 5 - Uneven Economic Development along Group Lines
I 6 - Sharp and/or Severe Economic Decline
I 7 - Criminalization or Delegitimization of the State
I 8 - Progressive Deterioration of Public Services
I 9 - Widespread Violation of Human Rights
I 10 - Security Apparatus as "State within a State"
I 11 - Rise of Factionalized Elites
I 12 - Intervention of Other States or External Actors

The yellow indicates that the US is one of those states which is shaky and needs monitoring. Visit the reference sites and do just a little reading between the lines.

Canada, Sweden, Norway and Australia seem to be the ONLY "Sustainable" countries in the world ... everybody else is on a downward slope and is in danger of self destructing according to those who put the index together.

Again - "As far as I am concerned ... this "Failed State Index" isn't worth the paper it is printed on." & the egotism of those who created it is only surpassed by the total crap it represents.

Chief Bones said:
The yellow indicates that the US is one of those states which is shaky and needs monitoring. Visit the reference sites and do just a little reading between the lines.
If by reading between the lines you mean writing your own story to suit the facts as you perceive them then go right ahead.
While I on the other hand can see how the UK, France and the USA has been given the rating I dont think for one minute it is at a critical stage and that any of these governments are near collapse my take on the rating is pretty much "here are some of the precursors to future problems perhaps they are worth monitoring" not "OMG I have a yellow mark roll out the tanks now, the sky is falling, no wait lets shoot the messenger"

Canada, Sweden, Norway and Australia seem to be the ONLY "Sustainable" countries in the world ... everybody else is on a downward slope and is in danger of self destructing according to those who put the index together.
Umm you forgot New Zealand it is also on the list of sustainable countries. :)
Yay for us.

- "As far as I am concerned ... this "Failed State Index" isn't worth the paper it is printed on." & the egotism of those who created it is only surpassed by the total crap it represents.
Well good for you there are not many that can use the internationally recognised "head in the sand" method of problem solving effectively I wish you well in your attempts.

As for the "failed state index" well they seem to have recognised systems supported and used by some well known and established organisations from a broad political spectrum I see no reason not to accept their findings as viable (not necessarily inevitable though).

Back