Defiant N Korea launches rocket

Outstanding. And they have about 23 million South Koreans hostage (basically within range of their big artillery pieces armed with chemical warheads).
Brilliant... just brilliant.
You'll have more dead in the first week than the entire dead during the entire War on Terror. And that's just the first week. On the first day, you'll have more than all coalition troops killed in the War on Terror put together.

Well, the only really big difference between short/medium distance and inter-continental launchings of nuclear weapons is the amount of fuel within the rocket.

If you can launch a satellite you got the technology to hit any city anywhere.

It'll be alright. Our president will work with the UN to write them a no-no letter. Hey, it worked in 1996, yes?

Imagine how bad they'll feel when they get our "You shouldn't have done that" letter. Certainly they'll change their ways.

The only good news is North Korea's goal is to survive, not start a war that will guarantee its own death. North Korea knows that in the event of a war they will lose no matter what.

It'll be alright. Our president will work with the UN to write them a no-no letter. Hey, it worked in 1996, yes?

Imagine how bad they'll feel when they get our "You shouldn't have done that" letter. Certainly they'll change their ways.
Well, do you have any other ideas? Invade and risk Chinese involvement again?

Hey Redneck, talking about N Korea's goals why have you poisoned their football players? Retaliation for the rocket? LOL

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7985154.stm

WOW. Didn't think urinating a little on that stuff was going to have that big of an effect. Will be sure to drink more water to dillute the stuff next time.

As for what further to do about Kim Jong-il... there doesn't seem to be any kind of solution. Plus far too many countries find it convenient to have a country stuck smack dab in between China and the other Korea and Japan.
Throw in millions of people ready to get slaughtered living in one of the most densely populated places on earth all within artillery range and the plot thickens even more.

Well, do you have any other ideas? Invade and risk Chinese involvement again?

My ideas?

Denounce them as a country, freeze every shipping lane they have, and let their people starve until they throw the regime and dictatorship out and demand the UN instill a Democracy.

Tactically air strike every military base and every suspected operations center.

Freeze all exports.

Then put a 2.5 million dollar bounty on Il's head and anyone following him and let the mercenaries have some work for a while.

Shoot down ANY missile they launch, regardless of reason.

Tariff everything.

If you want to send a message, you have to make it powerful. It's not enough for China to risk war, but it solves the nuisance problem that is the terrorist regime that is NK.

Nation building.
Doesn't work very well.
But the Chinese will be happy to take it as their newest territory. And once that happens, America will have to pack up and leave from the Western Pacific.
And if it's pretty damned obvious that America initiated the hostilities, American bases in South Korea will be a thing of the past. And when that's gone, the Chinese will be the main power of influence over South Korea, and Japan is probably going to ask America to leave pretty soon. They'd rather cooperate and trade with the Chinese and use their natural sea barrier for defense than get stuck in the middle of a US-China piss fight.
And all for what?
Because some dictator asks for more food?
Those guys can't stick nukes on that missile and if they did manage somehow, it won't make it to America.
If sh*t is going to roll here, the North Koreans have to fire the first shot in anger. If America fires first, it very well can lose the entire half of the Pacific.
When that happens you'll be asking "what the hell was all that North Korea fuss about again?"

My ideas?

Denounce them as a country, freeze every shipping lane they have, and let their people starve until they throw the regime and dictatorship out and demand the UN instill a Democracy.

Tactically air strike every military base and every suspected operations center.

Freeze all exports.

Then put a 2.5 million dollar bounty on Il's head and anyone following him and let the mercenaries have some work for a while.

Shoot down ANY missile they launch, regardless of reason.

Tariff everything.

If you want to send a message, you have to make it powerful. It's not enough for China to risk war, but it solves the nuisance problem that is the terrorist regime that is NK.
And the Chinese won't send them food? If we attack their shipment's they won't be happy. And they don't care if their people starve; they have been for the past 60 years, why stop now? Their people don't have the means to overthrow them.

Actually the North Koreans have been starving mostly since the 90's as far as anyone can really confirm.
They were malnourished and stuff but once the floods struck a few times their farmland became virtual fiction.
The Chinese will send them food. South Korea will send them food. Japan has been sending some sort of support over the years though not so much after the whole kidnapping incident.
Basically having a North Korea around is in the best interests of far too many people for anything like a real embargo to work.

No one really knows right now.
North Korea's existance serves a function that many countries find desireable. North Korea realizes this and it's really really pushings its luck.
The good news is that North Korea isn't as closed as it used to be. Because people depend on the black market for basic commodities, information and media regarding the outside world has been slowly slipping in as well. Attitudes are changing, though there's not much the people there can do about it.
This part of the world isn't like Afghanistan or anything. You've got major powers like China, Japan and to a lesser extent, Russia involved as well. It's a pretty big powder keg.

No one really knows right now.
North Korea's existance serves a function that many countries find desireable. North Korea realizes this and it's really really pushings its luck.
The good news is that North Korea isn't as closed as it used to be. Because people depend on the black market for basic commodities, information and media regarding the outside world has been slowly slipping in as well. Attitudes are changing, though there's not much the people there can do about it.
This part of the world isn't like Afghanistan or anything. You've got major powers like China, Japan and to a lesser extent, Russia involved as well. It's a pretty big powder keg.

I guess that I am just surprised at your seeming apathy. I mean, they are your ENEMY, my friend. Some would say your nemesis. They would kill every one of you if they could.

If I expected anyone to be vocal about putting them in their place, it would have been you.

But that shows the cultural differences - that's a good thing, by the way! I learn a LOT from you, Dale. I miss our chats.

Anyway, I am just a bit surprised that few are expressing their outrage over NK defying the UN so blatantly. They are as dangerous as Iran. More so in many ways, mostly due to the affiliations you mentioned yourself.

Here is an update on the North Korean "satellite" launch.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article6049843.ece

It is interesting and has some weird points.
1. A North Korean ship that was supposed to monitor the flight had to turn back because of mechanical problems.
2. A North Korean plane sent to monitor the launch crashed.

Leaving the North Koreans with having to get information from four Countries as to where it actually went. The countries are the US, Russia, Japan and South Korea. Basically relying on their enemies for information.

Us military says it flew 1,990 miles(3,200km)

No one but the North Koreans have picked up the music from the Satellite.

Just out of curiosity, how many here know that the Korean War has never official ended. So any attack on North Korea would be a violation of the truce and could lead to a active war.
One in which neither the US, Russia, or China would really be interested in fighting. Might be a case of a "World War that nobody showed up for".:smile:

I think that North Korea is just as much a headache for China or Russia as it is for the US or Japan.

Agree. The only way that the Korean war could possibly be decided is to let the Koreans duke it out themselves. No other country wants to open that can of worms; they have to do it themselves.

And I was aware that no truce was ever signed between North and South Korea. Between the US and China, yes. Between the US and North Korea, yes. But technically the Koreas are still in a state of war.

Back