After Palin's Speech... the reaction on Hillary Clinton Forum

She did fairly well, definitely better then McCain, but in my opinion not quite as well as Obama. He is without a doubt the best speaker of this election.

The one thing I noticed is that McCain (and to a lesser extent, Palin) was very vague on actual policy, if you know what I mean. He repeated his war story, talked about his goals, but never really had any specific policy points in his speech. Anyone else notice that?

She did fairly well, definitely better then McCain, but in my opinion not quite as well as Obama. He is without a doubt the best speaker of this election.

The one thing I noticed is that McCain (and to a lesser extent, Palin) was very vague on actual policy, if you know what I mean. He repeated his war story, talked about his goals, but never really had any specific policy points in his speech. Anyone else notice that?
Absolutely. Obama is one of, if not the best orator in the entire presidential history as far as I'm concerned...

I did notice that he was very vague... He loved his war story (Even though his wife was proud of his modesty... Hehehe) and gave what was akin to a middle school class president speech... "I promise more junk food." But doesn't say HOW. Palin did this as well, but much less often. What they both talked very specifically about, and what I found tasteless, was that they knew Obama's policies to the T.

Thank you kindly for confirming that you consider that she is better than the others and that you would vote for her. No problem - so would I.
You should go and find your reading glasses Del Boy.

I said I like her as a person, but her speech was just so much political pap written to please those already converted and the politically naive. Just what the voters need coming from an unknown.

Last edited:
I must disagree Seno - you actually posted that you would vote for her, have you forgotten so soon?

You refer to my attitude as 'flowery' - give me one example on this thread.

You obviously are ignoring the appraisal of Palin's offering, by world-wide media.

By Paul Revoir
Last updated at 1:20 AM on 05th September 2008
"She was widely praised by the world's media for her barnstorming speech to accept the Republican Party's vice-presidential nomination. – plaudits from around the world."

Richard Littlelohn
:“Crtainly, the pick came, as the Americans say, out of left field. But Sarah Palin is centre stage now, and suddenly it's game on. God-fearin', gun-totin' Sarah Palin. Will she get the last laugh?At the very least, McCain has got a wonderful sense of mischief - a quality sadly lacking in most politicians.The way the Left, both here and in America, are contorting themselves is a joy to behold. Sarah Palin is every Guardianista's worst nightmare.Its been hilarious watching the sisterhood tie themselves in knots over Sarah Palin.Cheerleader, beauty queen, dominatrix of the Harper Valley PTA, mother of five, mayor, governor and now a heartbeat away from the Vice-Presidency.You couldn't make her up. Law And Order's Fred Thompson, once a presidential candidate himself, hit the baby seal on the head when he said the Left were in a blind panic over what to do about Palin.What they are doing is what they usually do when confronted with something which offends their world view - character assassination. Every 'liberal' newspaper and TV network has sent hatchet men north to Alaska to dig for the dirt beneath the tundra.What they discovered is that 80 per cent of Alaskans think she's doing a great job.”

By Peter Mckay In St Paul
Last updated at 1:08 AM on 05th September 2008

“Electrifying: Sarah Palin
Critics said she'd be a liability.
But Sarah Palin electrified her party's convention with a barnstorming speech which stunned and delighted Republicans.
'A star is born,' gasped Fox TV's Chris Wallace.
'I'm impressed by her ability to stick her knife into Obama with a smile,' said visiting Democrat bigwig Howard Wolfson.
'The election's over - we've won,' a euphoric Republican delegate near me told his colleagues.
Poised, relaxed and on top of her brief, Mrs Palin ripped into Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama.
Smiling as she drove in the dagger, she talked about his lack of experience - the very charge Democrats throw at her.
'Here's a little newsflash for all those reporters and commentators,' she said.
'I'm not going to Washington to seek their good opinion - I'm going to Washington to serve the people of this country.
'Americans expect us to go to Washington for the right reasons, and not just to mingle with the right people.'
Her audience almost hysterical with joy, Mrs Palin told them: 'Here's how I look at the choice Americans face in this election.
'In politics, there are some candidates who use change to promote their careers.
'And then there are those, like John McCain, who use their careers to promote change.
'The American presidency is not supposed to be a journey of "personal discovery".
'
With her tone hardening and her nose wrinkling into the beginnings of a snarl, the moose-hunting 'hockey mom' rasped: 'Listening to him speak, it's easy to forget that this is a man who has authored two memoirs, but not a single major law or even a reform - not even in the State Senate.'
Mrs Palin gained one of her biggest cheers in an hour of almost continuous applause when she said children with special needs sometimes brought out 'special love' in those who cared for them.
Throwing a verbal bouquet to McCain, she said: 'It's a long way from the fear and pain and squalor of a six-by-four cell in Hanoi to the Oval Office.
'But if Senator McCain is elected President, that is the journey he will have made.'
The audience had been warmed up by three defeated primary election candidates - former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney, ex-Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee and Rudolf Giuliani, mayor of New York on 9/11.
Giuliani was on top form - why his presidential campaign fizzled out is a mystery; too many vowels in his name? - but it turned out he was merely an appetiser for the dish of the evening: Sarah Barracuda Palin.
The story now isn't about Sarah Palin's suitability as vice president.
It's the near certainty that, if McCain, 72, wins, he'll serve only one term.
And his party will be grooming her as America's first woman President.”

Flowery - Me?

Last edited:
Wow... if this is the extend of someone's political spectrum, God have mercy. Is this person for real? If this is why he swings votes.... maybe McCain should get that guy who cried for Brittney Spears. That should really get a lot of new voters. Who ever heard of a political program or something?

I think you need to take websites like that with a grain of salt after all we could both jump on there call ourselves "Yankee Doodle Dandy 1 and 2" and claim to have been Republican or Democrat but have now changed sides because of the "nasty media" hell we could both probably create a bot to do the whole lot for us and save the effort.

Also given that website itself claims it is not associated with Clinton in any way
(HCF is 100% Independent & has NO Affiliation with Hillary Clinton or her Campaign. Donations to meet operational costs accepted)
I imagine it is not moderated by the Democratic party and therefore open to any manipulations (I imagine pro-republican posts on a democrat website would be deleted just as fast as pro-democrat posts on republican ones would be), it wouldn't surprise me if all the "I have swapped sides posts are the same guy registering different names 100000 times as the only way to verify any of this is for the folks that have swapped sides to prove that they have.

Last edited:
Del Boy, as I said, you don't read other's posts, what I said that I would vote for her as a person.

Of course I wouldn't vote for her as a politician, once a person becomes a member of a political party they lose their ability to do anything for their constituents unless it suits "the party". Also, me having no interest in, or knowledge of US politics, it would be rather brainless of me to give my approval to any of their politicians.

As for the remainder of your post. I make up my own mind as to a persons bona fides and/or usefulness as a politician. I have a brain of my own and don't need the sycophantic rantings of some paid political hack to tell me who I should be voting for, or how I should be interpreting what s/he may or may not have said.

You forget, I have been around long enough to know the value of a politician's promise. You spend much of your time on this forum complaining about British politicians and the way that they have ruined your country, why is it that you appear to think that US politicians are any different?

The truth being, they are not.

Face it you guys - the girl dun good; flying colours. I watched and heard every word this morning, and I reckon that I have had a glimpse of the future; I would hazard a bet that Hilary Clinton will never now become the first female President of USA.

Sarah Palin's performance was fantastic, no-one can gainsay that; John McCain has chosen well and those who did not know who she was certainly know now.

I say this - Let battle be joined, and God Bless America.

You're getting a bit too far ahead of yourself. Lets give her more time in front of the media over the next month.

^^^A long, lonnnnngggg way ahead of himself.^^^

Politicians are far better judged at the end of their term than the start.

It's all just hot air for the moment.

Last edited:
^^^A long, lonnnnngggg way ahead of himself.^^^

Politicians are far better judged at the end of their term than the start.

It's all just hot air for the moment.

Yes Spike,

It will be interesting when Sarah has to start fast talking in front of the US media without an auto-cue.:lol:

I would like to hear more from McCain about his economic strategy. The Republicans don't want to get into too much detail on this one.

Well behind the smiling face lets remember what she really stands for.

1. She is a Global Warming Denier -one of the few left.
2. She is hugely supportive of Big Oil and Big Business
3. She is an evangelical Christian whose view include anti gay and any abortion sentiments. She has based some of the strictest anti-gay legislation in the country.
4. A Military Hawk
5. Believes Creationism she be taught in School
6. She is anti-Abortion in ALL CASES except when mom's life is in danger.
7. Pro-Capital Punishment (abit of a contradiction with her pro-life views)
8. A strong anti-Enviromental record, opposing endangered status for polar bears and refugees for Whales on Economic (big Oil Business) concerns.
9. A pro-Israel hawk.
10. Believes in "Family Values" but apparently those values didn't include keeping a closer eye own her own 17 year old daughter. At 44 years old she will be a Grandmother. Oh I just cannot wait to listen to her family views lectures.
11. Has no extensive experience in anything except very small town politics. Her international experience is limited to Hockey, Canadian Hockey.

But besides all this she really has NOTHING in common with the previous government.

The sad thing about your list mmarsh is that the real JohnMcCain would not have swallowed hardly any of it a few years ago. He has really sold out to the religious right. I read today that Colin Powell is shocked at the direction McCain is taking to win the Presidency.

I have this feeling that if he does win, he might not be so accommodating to the religious right as they might have anticipated him to be. He'll only be a one term President, I think.

I'd vote for her.

Here you are my friend, in black and white, one complete sentence. You see, I do read your posts, with my reading glasses on.

Now we have no reason to fall out on this one. I say that the lady's performance was great, and point out that informed opinion around the world accept her presentaion of the speech as extraordinary. I go along with that.
You do not trust any politician, and as a class, I agree. ButI am always searching for the exception and on this one I am optimistic.

You are correct in your assessment of my opinion of my particular government, but that is based on specifics. I honestly cannot avoid the premise that they are driving us to ruin and disaster. I am more sure every day, because they refuse to raise one finger to plug the hole, and I feel that we are going down with a sinking ship. That in itself would not be so incomprehensible if it was not so damned obvious.

We have differing views, that's all. There is room for both.

The sad thing about your list mmarsh is that the real JohnMcCain would not have swallowed hardly any of it a few years ago. He has really sold out to the religious right. I read today that Colin Powell is shocked at the direction McCain is taking to win the Presidency.

I have this feeling that if he does win, he might not be so accommodating to the religious right as they might have anticipated him to be. He'll only be a one term President, I think.
Colin Powell, aka The Bush Administration's first scapegoat, is one of very few Republicans I'd ever consider voting for.

I agree, McCain's sold out to the far right to get this nomination. Proof that you can't go wrong with sucking up...

I agree, off topic, but I agree... Colin Powell would make one helluva POTUS. Sadly, I think John McCain did sell his soul to the conservative devil a little bit. One must do what it takes if one is to be the President. I think that's why Powell didn't want to run.

I agree, off topic, but I agree... Colin Powell would make one helluva POTUS. Sadly, I think John McCain did sell his soul to the conservative devil a little bit. One must do what it takes if one is to be the President. I think that's why Powell didn't want to run.
Pretty understandable there.

Unfortunately, I did not get to watch it since I cant have any media this year, but it sounds like it was a great speech. I am overjoyed about it, and it is great to know that democrats are seeing the light, and I am sure the swing vote it too. This is a great step in the right direction.

McCain has had to sell himself out, which is definitely too bad, but I hope that if he is elected he will go back to being his maverick self again. We need someone like that as president.

Last edited:
McCain has had to sell himself out, which is definitely too bad, but I hope that if he is elected he will go back to being his maverick self again. We need someone like that as president.
I doubt it will happen. Heck, maverick is a term he lifted from someone else who dropped out of the race back in 2000.

Don't be a clot Del Boy your selective editing fools no one.
You must have seen a different broadcast in England, the one shown here was just the same old political pap as one expects from a politician. But as I said I think she's pretty down to earth as a person. I'd vote for her.
I have made very clear that I would vote for her only on her personality. I have stated quite clearly that I have neither the knowledge nor the faith to vote for a US politician based purely on "personality" perhaps unlike yourself.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I did not get to watch it since I cant have any media this year, but it sounds like it was a great speech. I am overjoyed about it, and it is great to know that democrats are seeing the light, and I am sure the swing vote it too. This is a great step in the right direction.

But doesn't that say something about what kind of person he is? Do we really want someone who would sell out his own beliefs to please the mob. We don't extremist in the White House and we don't need people who sell out to extremists either.

Take someone like Colin Powell who got so tired of having to deal with these same type of extremists that he resigned. Now that's someone who could be president.

Last edited:
Back