A question of honor.

bulldogg

Milforum's Bouncer
CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. - An art exhibit featuring deep-fried American flags, complete with peanut oil and black pepper, has been removed by a museum director in this military-friendly town.

Art student William Gentry said his piece, "The Fat Is in the Fire," was a commentary on obesity in America. "I deep-fried the flag because I'm concerned about America and about America's health," Gentry said.

Customs House Museum executive director Ned Crouch took down the artwork Wednesday less than 18 hours after it went up in this community next to Fort Campbell.

"It's about what the community values," Crouch said. "I'm representing 99 percent of our membership — educators, doctors, lawyers, military families."

He also said the timing of the piece could cause "incendiary reactions."

"Never in the history of the country has the flag been more hated or more loved," Crouch said.

Treatment of the American flag is an ongoing and passionate debate in the United States.

Burning a flag at political protests is a guaranteed way to start scuffles and fistfights, and often to be arrested. The U.S. Supreme Court, however, has ruled that flag-burning is a constitutionally protected form of legal political protest.

Conservative politicians periodically attempt to rally support for an amendment to the U.S. Constitution to ban flag-burning, but have always fallen short in their efforts.

The exhibit featured three U.S. flags imprinted with phrases such as "Poor people are obese because they eat poorly" and more than 40 smaller flags fried in peanut oil, egg batter, flour and black pepper.

Navy vet: ‘Museum ... totally failed’
Clarksville resident and Navy veteran Bill Larson said the museum should not restrict the free speech of an artist based on public response.

"The museum is obligated to the citizens of the community to present art, and it totally failed in that regard," Larson said.

Gentry, who had to publicly display his work for a senior project at Austin Peay State University, said he hoped people would get past the flag imagery and address the health issue.

"I hope they are upset, but I hope they don't miss the point," he said.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15772356/

Should the desecration of national symbols be protected as legitimate political protest? Not just in the US but each of you consider it for your own countries as well. I am firmly against flag-buirning being protected. Do it in front of me and I'll kick your ass, plain and simple. I'll cop getting arrested as its something I firmly believe.

I very vividly recall the orders I was given as a young soldier about to be given the privilege of being guidon bearer. The guidon is the unit flag, not even the US flag, that every unit carries in front of itself when marching in parades etc. A former Marine who served three tours in Vietnam and was now a SSG for the Army, SSG Fritz, pulled me aside and got in my face as he was about to hand me the guidon and asked if I realised the importance of what I was about to do? I honestly answered him NO and he proceeded to educate me at full volume about the history and importance of the guidon bearer in battle. It ended with the serious instruction that if I were to lose this guidon for any reason it would be in my best interest to go AWOL and run as fast and as far as I could away from him.

To him to lose that unit flag was to spit on and dishonor the memory and sacrifice of every man from our unit who ever died in service of our country. I see the American flag in the same light. To me to desecrate the American flag is to spit on the graves of every man and woman buried in Arlington. To burn that flag is to dishonor the memory of every person who ever died in our country's history in defence of her. I'll be damned if I sit and watch anyone do that.

Last edited:
While I have no love for those who would burn our colors, I agree with the Supreme Court on this one. You can't even think about dicking around with free speech, no matter how obscene or enraging it is. You can beat the guy up.

I don't see how creating deep-fried American flags is desecrating it, as long as it looks the same... only fried. This topic is making me hungry...

that shouldnt be allowed. its plainly desecrating the national flag for christs sake!

damn...

Free speech .....

I will march to guarantee you your right to do as you will with the American flag ........... it IS free speech as far as SCOTUS is concerned.

Just don't expect ME to sit by as you break out your lighter - I will bust you up side the head, then put the boots to you as you lie on the ground and then I will urinate on you as you bleed all over the ground. I will send you to the hospital emergency room and will offer NO apology to a bunch of America haters that would denounce me for MY actions.

A fine and a short jail sentence, would be a small price that I would be more than proud to pay. The flag and the price that was paid by our military, is too central to my beliefs to NOT take steps to chastise those that would treat the flag with disdain ... and ... think it is alright to desecrate.

NOT if I can help it! Not as long as there is a breath left in my body!

Last edited:
A very interesting dichotomy in your views Chief. How do you marry the two together in your thinking? (NOTE: Not being a smart ass, I'm really curious.)

im with bones..

though i'd make sure i wasnt reconised when i bashed the :cens: idiot up.

Shouldn't be allowed. Any protest can make their message heard without having to burn the flag, which so many have died for, to get it across. The flag is not only a symbol of the nation, but a symbol of what it stands for, now in that light, there are those who would condone it BECAUSE of what it stands for...But au contraire, the flag stands for not only what the nation believes in, but the people behind it that have fought for the right to keep that flag flying. It should be for THEM that we outlaw the burning of the flag.

Well, if I saw some idiot desecrating the flag and soemone else beats the living crap out of him. I'll give that fine citizen a verbal warning. As for the moron lying on the ground in pain. I'll call fire rescue and informed them of what happened. After that, it's fire rescue's job for treating him. I go back on my patrol beat.

I hate folks doing it but I do allow it. It is part of the first amendment. If we outlaw desecrating the flag. What will be outlawed next. It's a Domino Effect. Don't like it, never did. Samething with firearms. Samething been happening with firearms all these years.

So you are going to be the sort of policemen that upholds his own laws rather than that of the country/state or whatever?

Personally I would expect you to follow the rules with the knowledge that no jury would convict the guy that way everyone has done their job.

Last edited:
One slight problem with banning burning the flag....Burning the flag is the proper way of destroying a damaged flag....

However you mess with my flag and you mess with me for that flags stands for everything that is me...

And that art student is an idiot and should try to serve society a little better for his contributions so far are nothing more than useless...

So you are going to be the sort of policemen that upholds his own laws rather than that of the country/state or whatever?

Personally I would expect you to follow the rules with the knowledge that no jury would convict the guy that way everyone has done their job.

Only if the other guy pressed charges... Otherwise he could just simply give a verbal warning.... This shouldn't be a sieg hail type of world...

Last edited:
A very interesting dichotomy in your views Chief. How do you marry the two together in your thinking? (NOTE: Not being a smart ass, I'm really curious.)

I don't view your question as you being a smart ass.

Until SCOTUS changes their minds, the law of the land recognizes flag burning as a 'voice' of protest. I disagree with them ... but ... it is the law until it is changed.

On the other hand, I have had to accompany my friend's flag draped caskets to their hometowns on way too many occasions, to just sit idly by when some a-hole exercises his protest rights by burning a flag. It won't never happen within my view without me going ballistic, and putting the bum in the hospital. (I couldn't NOT react ... and still be who I am).

The only dichotomy as far as I am concerned, is the fact that it is NOT against the law to burn a flag in protest ... and it should be ... and ... to h*ll with SCOTUS' ruling.

Until SCOTUS changes their minds, the law of the land recognizes flag burning as a 'voice' of protest. I disagree with them ... but ... it is the law until it is changed.
The only dichotomy as far as I am concerned, is the fact that it is NOT against the law to burn a flag in protest ... and it should be ... and ... to h*ll with SCOTUS' ruling.
My sentiments exactly.

Im gonna go with monty on this one kinda sounds like your picking and choosing which laws to enforce.

Law enforcement have to make this choice all the time. If every law on the books were equally enforced you couldn't take a dump in most major cities without a cop reading you your rights.

Back