A better way to name "Terrorism"?

I said that to tell somebody where im from?

And what, you think we arent trying to get back to Serbia? :cens:, id do anything to get away from the west.

And im not discussing this furthermore, it isnt related to the subject.

Ill accept it as an official definition when the United Nations find one.
If there was a definition that the UN recognises, why does secretary-general Koffi Annan express his dissapointment that the UN legal comittee failed to finalise a comprehensive treaty on terrorism?
As i stated before, there are 13 or so treaties on various subjects of terrorism in the UN, but there is still no agreed standard definition.

The UN is less than useless.
It either cannot or does not punish its own members for atrocities.
http://whatreallyhappened.com/RANCHO/POLITICS/UN/peace.html

It is corrupt.
Do a google erach on Kofi Annan or his son.

And, of course, corrupt organisations rarely stop at just one kind. If you don't want to bulk up your pension by skimming the Oil-for-Food programme, don't worry, whatever your bag, the UN can find somewhere that suits - in West Africa, it's Sex-for-Food, with aid workers demanding sexual services from locals as young as four; in Cambodia, it's drug dealing; in Kenya, it's the refugee extortion racket; in the Balkans, sex slaves.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/3614930/UN-forces-andndash-just-a-bunch-of-thugs.html

It think you have better luck herding cats than getting the UN to agree on anything. I suppose it is difficult to get states that sponsor terrorism to agree on a definition as it is not in their best interests.

Trust me, id gladly go back to Serbia. But we cant afford it [Due to extremely low pay, very high cost of living and ridicoulously expensive doctors].

So you owe no allegiance to a country that has jobs that pay you enough to live, a cost of living that you except, and medical care you can afford?

This gives a pretty good indication of your level of intelligence.

Of course you are aware that the UN does not have "official" definitions for any of the words used on the posts in this thread.

As far as the topic of The Definition of Terrorism goes, I would say that with as many different countries that are represented here, we have a pretty solid definition that almos all agree upon!

I have been monitoring this thread, but basically not posting much because:
A. IMHO, it is useless to argue with almost any 14-year-old, they tend to think they know it all, and no one else knows anything. No respect for the experiences of others...
B. Even rational conversation seems to be out of his capabilities right now... he seems to be here for the argument, not the conversation.

My 14 y/o son has those moments. He is having trouble realizing that the world does not revolve around him. (Just ask my wife, she will tell you it revolves around her). :-D.

Didn't realize that Balkan MIG was only 14. Wow. Makes a lot more sense now.

The UN is less than useless.
It either cannot or does not punish its own members for atrocities.
http://whatreallyhappened.com/RANCHO/POLITICS/UN/peace.html

It is corrupt.
Do a google erach on Kofi Annan or his son.

I know, the United Nations has a lot of flaws. But they do usually tend to do something right every once in a while [They did well in world peace day in Afghanistan, for instance. They also performed well, but at great loss of numbers, in Bosnia 1994]

But what im saying is, id be happy if there could be a agreed official definition on the word Terrorism. Though as you said, it could be hard. Getting something agreed by the UN is quite difficult.

So you owe no allegiance to a country that has jobs that pay you enough to live, a cost of living that you except, and medical care you can afford?

This gives a pretty good indication of your level of intelligence.

Of course you are aware that the UN does not have "official" definitions for any of the words used on the posts in this thread.

We can barely afford to live, thats the problem. My mother is on nervous collapse, once we pay one large bill, the next day there is another. This cycle continues every day. Infact, me and my family are viewed as peasants, just because we come from a country that has been through a lot in the past years. I have to endure racism all the time at school, and the teachers forbid me to speak about my views. How am i supposed to be happy about that?

And yes, i know that. But for such a serious subject likeTerrorism, you would think there would be a definition for it.

We can barely afford to live, thats the problem. My mother is on nervous collapse, once we pay one large bill, the next day there is another. This cycle continues every day. Infact, me and my family are viewed as peasants, just because we come from a country that has been through a lot in the past years. I have to endure racism all the time at school, and the teachers forbid me to speak about my views. How am i supposed to be happy about that?

And yes, i know that. But for such a serious subject likeTerrorism, you would think there would be a definition for it.

First off, keep your chin up. Everyone has to endure things that are unpleasant. Your attitude is what will help, especially your mother, get your family through. Showing the anger, and speaking out will not help the problem.

Second, listen to the people on here... we are all trying to tell you, in our own ways, that there is a definition for terrorisim. Just because it isn't done the way YOU want to be, doesn't make it so.

I'm sure you might feel like peasants, but there are many of us on here who grew up without the monetary items. Be thankful that you have the a computer and access to the internet.

Finally, I'm sure any one of us would be glad to help you out where we can, but you have to communicate your needs (politely), so that we can try to help. There is a post on here somewhere about the pen being mighter than the sword... Good communication skills will get you farther than that M16 you've been posting about.... 8)

As far as the topic of The Definition of Terrorism goes, I would say that with as many different countries that are represented here, we have a pretty solid definition that almos all agree upon!

I agree, i am getting outnumbered quick, fast and in a hurry.

I have been monitoring this thread, but basically not posting much because:
A. IMHO, it is useless to argue with almost any 14-year-old, they tend to think they know it all, and no one else knows anything. No respect for the experiences of others....

Excuse me? So you put my age against me? For your information, i have just read a very interesting book on the subject of Terrorism, and i feel like expressing what i have learnt from it. I think you are very arrogant from this statement, do you think all 14 year olds are the same? I certainly dont think i know everything, and i know that there are a lot more intelligent people than me on this site. Im just trying to express my opinion and knowledge, and learn from your knowledge.
How do i not show respect? I respect every person that has endured warfare, wether or not i agree with the reason they fought. Maybe some of you havent been in a warzone, but i still cant see how im not showing respect? I havent degraded anybody, im just putting up a sensible argument. Is that disrespectful?

B. Even rational conversation seems to be out of his capabilities right now... he seems to be here for the argument, not the conversation.

I feel extremely offended. I did say i live in Australia, and that i feel no particular alleigance to it. Sure, i do like Australia. It is a nice government, and some people are pretty nice. I dont feel alleigance to the country, but to the people. Thats a very different thing altogether.
Im trying to avoid this argument, but now 3 people have sprung it up on me, when it has NOTHING to do with the subject! If you want to talk about it with me, then send me a message or something!
Where are you getting this from? Im trying to put up a intelligent argument about Terrorism, and im pretty sure most of my facts are correct. Im here for the argument, yes. But the argument which is more like a sensible debate, not a :cens: fest.

Anyways, can we PLEASE return to the subject? If anybody has anything against me, send me like a private message or something. I made this thread to discuss something much different than my personal faults.

First off, keep your chin up. Everyone has to endure things that are unpleasant. Your attitude is what will help, especially your mother, get your family through. Showing the anger, and speaking out will not help the problem.

You think my mother doesnt try to keep optimistic? It is very difficult just to pay the tax and bills. It might have been a different situation under some circumstances concerning my family.

Second, listen to the people on here... we are all trying to tell you, in our own ways, that there is a definition for terrorisim. Just because it isn't done the way YOU want to be, doesn't make it so.

I know there is one. Im just trying to say that there isnt a OFFICIAL definition. We all know what terrorism is [Maybe vaguely].

I'm sure you might feel like peasants, but there are many of us on here who grew up without the monetary items. Be thankful that you have the a computer and access to the internet.

I dont necessarilly feel like a peasant, but im treeted as one. Especially the teachers, they find that being a Serbian Titoist automatically makes you a deluisonal, propaganda-making idiot.
I am thankful that i have a computer and internet, that is actually cheap [Internet, not the computer.][/quote]

Finally, I'm sure any one of us would be glad to help you out where we can, but you have to communicate your needs (politely), so that we can try to help.

How the hell am i being impolite, can you at least tell me that? Im trying to put up a good argument. If that is impolite, then whats the point of trying to determine anything?
Trust me, i used to be a Serbian Nationalist, and i was so prejudiced against the USA [Notice all the past tenses, please.] that i couldnt have a normal argument with them without being unimaginably rude [Once again, notice the past tense.]

You are missing the point. When taken into context, the fact that you are 14 (not 40) makes your responses more understandable. You don't have the maturity, even in words, of and adult. Many of us are parents of teens, and can testify that there are different ways to communicate with teens. (sometime they have a whole other language, like when you pointed out that rolf meant that you were laughing...)

I'm a mother of an 18 year-old and a 19 year-old, therefore, my communications will reflect my experiences with respect to that. Is this making sense to you?

We aren't saying you are incapable of intelligence, we are more pointing out that you are spreading your wings and for lack of a better way of putting it... practicing intelligent communication.

You think my mother doesnt try to keep optimistic? It is very difficult just to pay the tax and bills. It might have been a different situation under some circumstances concerning my family.

1st... I was saying that how YOU react to things can help your mother. You mentioned she was near a breakdown. I believe that some children do not realize how they react to things will affect their parents, especially their mothers.

How the hell am i being impolite, can you at least tell me that? Im trying to put up a good argument. If that is impolite, then whats the point of trying to determine anything?
Trust me, i used to be a Serbian Nationalist, and i was so prejudiced against the USA [Notice all the past tenses, please.] that i couldnt have a normal argument with them without being unimaginably rude [Once again, notice the past tense.]

Ok, example of what I consider impolite. When speaking and having to use the "Censored Smiley" instead of formulating other words. This is because I was taught that children don't cuss at or infront of their elders. (I come from a small farm town in Indiana, what I think is only MY opinion.) I also find it rude that you come back in a tone that is argumentative (which is common for those who are in their early teens, read up on psychology). Also, when you address me, I imagine I am around your mother's age, would you speak to her like you are to me? If not, then you should know instinctively you are being rude.

"I don't understand how I am being rude. Would you please send me a personal message on it, as it is off topic?" would have been more polite than your, "How the hell...."

As you have pointed out, we are way off topic. If you truely want to know more, please send me a personal message. I'd love to get to know you better.

As far as Terrorism goes, why do you feel that the UN should define terrorism? It seems to me that it is fairly well defined, and is a universal definition.

So, you are going to hold the fact that im 14 against me, and automatically think that i am incapable of any intelligence?

NEGATIVE. I was trying to say that I understand that your opinion has been shaped by only 14 years on this earth. I am almost 40 and have seen a bit more of life and the world than you.
Balkan, you seem to be clinging onto the hope that the UN will resolve this issue, when in fact, it is unlikely. THe UN has never accomplished anything significant and never will. I feel that it is outdated, corrupt and usually casues more harm than good.
I'm glad to see that you are trying to stimulate intelligent discussion on a sensitive topic and I hope you continue.
I apologize if I caused offense, but please do not be so ready to fly off the handle.

NEGATIVE. I was trying to say that I understand that your opinion has been shaped by only 14 years on this earth. I am almost 40 and have seen a bit more of life and the world than you.

Oh, i thought you were going to automatically view me incapable of anything but unintelligence.

Balkan, you seem to be clinging onto the hope that the UN will resolve this issue, when in fact, it is unlikely. THe UN has never accomplished anything significant and never will. I feel that it is outdated, corrupt and usually casues more harm than good.

Im not hoping, i was just saying that id like the UN to at least bother making a definition for it. But now that i have read the link you posted [It was a very interesting read, thanks for adding it] i kind of agree now.

I'm glad to see that you are trying to stimulate intelligent discussion on a sensitive topic and I hope you continue.
I apologize if I caused offense, but please do not be so ready to fly off the handle.

Im just paranoid of accusation, thats all.

:thumb: good post, Balkan-MiG!

Now, back to your subject...
If you now agree that the UN is not the place to get a uniform definition, where would you like to see things go from here?

You are the future, so if you want to see something accomplished, you might as well start planning now. Perhaps you can even get some ideas from this group that will help you implement ideas. :p

:thumb: good post, Balkan-MiG!

Could you please treat me as if im not a 14 year old? I find it much easier to understand things then.

If you now agree that the UN is not the place to get a uniform definition, where would you like to see things go from here?

Well, firstly i thought the best way to get a agreed definition of terrorism was for it to go via UN, but after reading that link Hokie posted before, i think that would be very hard. Even if the UN was a loving, caring society it would be difficult. As i stated before, and on countless occasions, one persons terrorist is another persons freedom fighter.
So it could be hard to define it.

Sorry! I love the smileys, and do that to any aged person! I'm also inclined to tell others when I approve (or disapprove) of their posts. I'll try to remember not to do that for you, though.

I still disagree with you about the freedom fighter vs. terrorist, but... we can always agree to disagree.

I'm afraid I'll have to leave the rest of the discussion to those who know more than I do on this subject.

One's terrorist is another's freedom fighters....Americas founding fathers in the eyes of great British where that of being terrorists....Heck they tossed goods over the side of boats and blew up others...

I guess it really depends on if they want freedom for all or just control for themselves...

Back