World Poll: Attitude Towards Countries - Page 6

--
World Poll: Attitude Towards Countries

August 6th, 2006  
mmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileer
Yeah, that stinkin' King Richard and his Crusaders really stirred things up.
Actually they did, but thats a very long story.

Damien435

I understand what your saying, but there is a way out. The easiest and the one I like is to get ourselves off oil ASAP and push alternative energy, Hydrogen for example has lots of potential but its at least 20 years off. Until then we can encourage these Arab Governments to be more open to Democratic reform. This was done successfuly in Egypt, Lebanon (before the current war), and Jordan and we are seeing a start of it in places like Libya. Democratic reforms soften the anger of the people on the street, without that dissatisfaction terrorist groups have no place to breed. Terrorists breed on misery and desperation remove that and they are considered nothing more than criminals.

The trouble is the leaders of Despotic regimes have absolutely no desire to share absolute power with their people. The US could increase the pressure on this, but doing so would mean a price increase at the pump. Its a simple choice do we want greater stability in the Middle East and better global security, or do we want cheap gas? So far, its been the latter choice.

My 2 Cents...
August 6th, 2006  
Missileer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh
Actually they did, but thats a very long story.

Damien435

I understand what your saying, but there is a way out. The easiest and the one I like is to get ourselves off oil ASAP and push alternative energy, Hydrogen for example has lots of potential but its at least 20 years off. Until then we can encourage these Arab Governments to be more open to Democratic reform. This was done successfuly in Egypt, Lebanon (before the current war), and Jordan and we are seeing a start of it in places like Libya. Democratic reforms soften the anger of the people on the street, without that dissatisfaction terrorist groups have no place to breed. Terrorists breed on misery and desperation remove that and they are considered nothing more than criminals.

The trouble is the leaders of Despotic regimes have absolutely no desire to share absolute power with their people. The US could increase the pressure on this, but doing so would mean a price increase at the pump. Its a simple choice do we want greater stability in the Middle East and better global security, or do we want cheap gas? So far, its been the latter choice.

My 2 Cents...
Already, gasoline has dropped by about 8 to 10 cents per gallon and the public and Government are putting alternate fuels on the back burner. Both are not about to go to the lengths necessary to wean us from oil.
August 9th, 2006  
Damien435

The year Congress decides to make ethanol mandatory at all gas stations in the US we get hit with the worst drought since the 30's, that's really going to raise the confidence level of the general public in using ethanol.

Hydrogen isn't the only way to go, we could reduce our oil usage by 30% if we would completely switch over to hybrids, that alone almost makes us self-sufficent in our use of oil.
--