Why would someone join the French Foreign Legion? - Page 3

--

May 22nd, 2011  
ticwocw

Poor men from third countries will join the French foreign Legion.They only for moneys but nothing. The French foreign Legion is the best troop in French army.
June 14th, 2011  
fadiserhal

Actually, i was asked this question 5 years ago when i decided to Enlist in the FFL, their question was straight and simple! Why The French Foreign Legion?
I came from a well off Family in Lebanon with double passports (Lebanese & British) yet what made me enlist in the "World's toughest Army"?
Many reasons actually:
  • Being one of a few! with a rating of 1 out of 8 are being selected through each group of volunteers, this makes it an Elite Group
  • The Chance to Serve in one of the World's Toughest Army regiments
  • The Training, Discipline & Life itself is something extraordinary
If you are heading to the Legion for any other Idea, i'd simply tell you to stay home! If it's only for the money, the passport, the chicks, the travel, the language....whatever other shits you got in mind! Stay home or you will be back with a coffin in your first 2 years!

The Legion is for those who are into Army Life and are looking for the extreme challenge in this domain!
June 15th, 2011  
LeEnfield

You could ask why does a person do anything like this, and the only answer most times is because they a drawn to it like a moth to a flame.
--
June 15th, 2011  
84RFK

Both are straight forward answers, and pretty much sums it all up I'd say.
June 15th, 2011  
fredleander

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadiserhal
....whatever other shits you got in mind! Stay home or you will be back with a coffin in your first 2 years!

The Legion is for those who are into Army Life and are looking for the extreme challenge in this domain!
Hi, there!

What has been the loss figures for the Legion the last few years and in which campaigns....?

Fred
June 11th, 2012  
ExRAed

Where can I find out about the legions hearing standards asked on the website they only give info on the eye sight I only ask because I suffer hearing problems after enemy action in helmond in afghan 2008 and I really want to enlist in the legion my father and my brother are both in the legion my father was I should say he was honourable discharged as a sergeant chef 2 rep legion de france
June 11th, 2012  
42RM

Were you discharged from the army because of hearing problems?
June 11th, 2012  
ExRAed

Nope discharged honourable thanks to the S.D.R.B. But after the enemy contact my left has become muted somewhat
June 12th, 2012  
brinktk

I'm in the same boat hearing wise, my left ear sustained nerve damage from a few too many explosions going on in close proximity to me...If I lose ANY more hearing in my left ear I have to re-class out of combat arms...sigh

Good luck, but I might suggest looking into the ADF. They are accepting lateral transfers from the US and commonwealth in specific low strength areas and I'm pretty sure artillery is one of those areas...might be worth looking at.
June 12th, 2012  
42RM

Having spoken with a French colleague today, I was told that if your hearing problem is combat-related, you will be rejected by the FFL. They have so many applicants to choose from, so you must be 100% fit. You can try, but according to his experience, you will be rejected.