Why do we do what we do? - Page 4

--

December 9th, 2004  
egoz

I wouldn't go so far as to say deny people the freedom of the press. If anyone remembers that far back, the press used to actually respect people's privacy and had at least a little bit more morals involved in what they were posting. It's a different story nowadays.
December 9th, 2004  
Kane

As I mentioned before in another topic, the Media is not interested in Privacy and is more concerned about exclusive reporting.
December 9th, 2004  
catalinargonzalez

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoz
I wouldn't go so far as to say deny people the freedom of the press. If anyone remembers that far back, the press used to actually respect people's privacy and had at least a little bit more morals involved in what they were posting. It's a different story nowadays.
EGOZ, I agree with you on the fact that it is a little extremist to go as far as to deny people the freedom of the press, but I disagree on the fact that the press "back then" used to have more respect. The media has been always been sneaky and conniving, always looking for a "juicy story" however, with today's technology advances in media and communications, the press and overall newsmakers now have a wider reach than ever, in most instances in real-time. In addition, more people have access to media sources such as TV's, newspapers, radios, Internet than ever before, so it's hard for anyone to be completely oblivious to anything now a days.....
--
December 9th, 2004  
egoz

Well I guess the instances I was thinking of were isolated. There was a reporter/photographer back in the 50s who had exclusive access to all the stars because he was their friend. He had all the stories and pictures and the scoops but never published almost 70% of them. The only reason his pictures came out later (in the 90s after he passed away) was because his grandchildren found them. They turned it into a book and there were some really great pictures. But in that case there was a mutual respect for one another that wasn't very common.
December 9th, 2004  
03USMC

I enlisted because I felt the desire to do something other than sit in a lecture hall . I'm alittle different though. I graduated high school at 17 went to college for 2 1/2 years and did the ROTC thing.
I reenlisted (twice) because I enjoyed doing what I consider something with a purpose.And because I had the respect and friendship of some of the greatest men on the face of the earth.
The media and the anti military people out there are Mind over Matter, I don't mind and they don't matter. Because when it comes down to go time it's the Marines, Soliders, Sailors, Coast Guardsmen, and Airmen who make sure that their right to voice those opinions are protected. They need us far far more than we need them.
December 13th, 2004  
devilwasp

I see people makeing jokes and critisiseing the military day in and out, but one thing i dont see is why.
I ask them why you slagging the military and they reply well they are gay or something like that or they will say cause they shoot civilians.
I dont see them going to stand with a rifle or anything in thier hands, sure its ok to have an opinion and question the military because we are taught to question things from day 1 but to slag them with no reason is just ignorance.
I respect serveing men and women and hope to become one some day.
December 13th, 2004  
Anya1982

Topic: dunno

I joined just before i was 17.......................mainly to get away from home (like most ppl tend to).................but i honestly think I joined as it was a life set for you.............no hassal, you got security of pay every month and a secured job and this can be for life.

I don't think of joining up cus i wanna "die for my country" bugger that cus that is just stupid talk. Ain't gonna make you macho or big.

No one has ever said to me "your gonna/or could die" Its a risk you take and i know I ain't died cus obv. still here. Let people say what they want at end of day they don't know the stress that a person can go through during their time in the military cus god knows I have been to the bottom and back. If its not good enough for a civvi to know your in the military then bugger them.

You do a job and you do it to the best you can. And if you are defending some thing for the rights of good then be it so. You know you and 1000's of other people are doing the country proud. so don't worry