Why did you join the military? why not something else?

--

January 9th, 2006  
JulesLee

Topic: Why did you join the military? why not something else?

Hmm.. I want to know why you guys chose the way of the military instead of other 1000 jobs out there.
January 9th, 2006  
phoenix80

I was drafted into the Military! Didn't have a choice plus I liked it any ways!
January 9th, 2006  
AussieNick

Family heritage and to serve my country.
--
January 9th, 2006  
bulldogg

Honest answer is around the end of September right after I graduated high school and just before my 19th birthday me and my old man got into a pretty good shouting match. It ended with him telling me "You are 18, an adult now, you've graduated high school and its time for you to get out. You've got 30 days to figure it out but you no longer live here."

The Air Force was my first choice as I wanted to be a pararescue medic goin in after downed pilots. But they said the earliest I could ship for basic was six months out and my old man was not up for negotiating my departure date. The Army said they would guarantee in my contract being a combat medic and that at MEPS I could get medical clearnace for Airborne and would ship to Basic in 30 days... the rest is history.
January 9th, 2006  
Team Infidel

Go to jail or go to the Army.......

Just kidding.. I love my country.
January 9th, 2006  
Motor-T

I was 17 and quit school and wasn't going anywhere
in life. I was always taught noone should ever have a free ride,
while others pay for it. It is the best thing I ever did in my life.
January 9th, 2006  
5.56X45mm

My country was under attack and I saw that i had the chance to fight back and protect those that I love.

'Nuff Said...
January 9th, 2006  
Missileer

No money. Couldn't do anything else.
January 9th, 2006  
sunb!

The option of spending time at the local bar drinking with communist/red extreme activist freaks and being unemployed most of the time did not suit me, so I used the chance the conscription system gave me and went off. Never looked back since.
January 10th, 2006  
Chief Bones

Topic: Box of Rocks

The reason I went into the military was very simple - I was 17 years old, bored with school, and dumber than a box of rocks when it came to the rest of the world.

I got into two 'fights' with teachers and figured enough was enough.

On my 17th birthday (22 NOV 61) I took my physical and via the Delayed Entry Program, I entered the Army on 27 DEC 61).

(5 years Army + 10 years civilian + 15 years Navy) I retired from the Navy as a Chief Petty Officer (CPO) E-7 on 30 JUN 92 with 20 years 17 days active service.

This service spanned 3+ wars, service in 5 countries, 8 states, 3 ships and various/assorted schools and technical courses.

It was a good life - I don't regret too much of it but I wouldn't want to start all over if I had to start out to do it today.

Bush stinks and I don't trust him or any of his cohorts (my personal opinion).