What are your suggestions for dealing with Fallujah? - Page 3

--

April 10th, 2004  
Ben

well i completely screwed that last post up.
April 10th, 2004  
Redneck

So you're saying your paratroops are better trained than our SF? I'm gonna have to call bullsh*t on that one.
And correct me if I'm wrong, but the Ghurkas are no longer under the command of the British since India gained its independence (but yes, they do have quite a reputation for ferocity).

As far as that RPG hit on the Abrams is concerned, we have a whole thread devoted to that:

http://www.military-quotes.com/forum...pic.php?t=1066

And related to that, how many Challenger 2s are in-country? Forgive me for my ignorance, but I was unaware that any British armor was deployed in Iraq.
April 12th, 2004  
Ben

yes, you're wrong we still very much have the Gurkhas regiments (btw did anyone else know that they go round holding hands?! I was very surprised when i saw that on
There is definitely a few regiments of Challenger 2's in Iraq, i dont know of the numbers but there are a fair few (i know definitely that 1 Bat. is in Iraq because they are the NBC guys). Heard a funny story yesterday from one of my mates about a challenger convoy: convoy driving across flat desert type area, all of a sudden a crazy arab jumps on to the tank next to my mates and starts just shooting it with his AK, the crew in that tank actually were not aware that this was happening, then they suddenly heard the words "HESH in!" over the radio and the next tank had actually fired the cannon at the arab and plucked him straight off! Bit unnecessary but there you go.
--
April 12th, 2004  
gjc

Redneck, youthful exhuberent that he is, Ben is right about the Gurkhas. Under the rules of partition in 1947, Britian kept 5 Regiments (US Battalion equivilents) and the rest went to the Indian Army. Not sure if Pakistan retained the rights to any. Britian now has two Gurkha infantry Battalions that serve in all theatres except Northern Ireland, and in addition Gurkha signals, Gurkha Logistics and Queen's Gurkha Engineers troops. There have recently been attempts in the high courts to bring Gurkha pay and conditions of service into line of that of a British soldier - at present they are different. However, under terms set up in 1947, Britian must match the terms and conditions set by India, and with India having around 60,000 Gurkhas under arms that is not about to happen soon, nor will it while we still have around 200 Nepalese apply for every single place in British Gurka recruit training.
April 12th, 2004  
Redneck

Wow, well I stand corrected. Thank you for the information, Sir.
April 13th, 2004  
RnderSafe

Quote:
Well, not really. When it comes to reputation i would argue that, as i said, the paras or the gurkhas have a much stronger and more respected reputation, especially when they are considered to be better soldiers than delta, even though they are not on paper SF.
Ben, your ignorance continues to amaze me.
April 13th, 2004  
panzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjc
Redneck, youthful exhuberent that he is, Ben is right about the Gurkhas. Under the rules of partition in 1947, Britian kept 5 Regiments (US Battalion equivilents) and the rest went to the Indian Army. Not sure if Pakistan retained the rights to any. Britian now has two Gurkha infantry Battalions that serve in all theatres except Northern Ireland, and in addition Gurkha signals, Gurkha Logistics and Queen's Gurkha Engineers troops. There have recently been attempts in the high courts to bring Gurkha pay and conditions of service into line of that of a British soldier - at present they are different. However, under terms set up in 1947, Britian must match the terms and conditions set by India, and with India having around 60,000 Gurkhas under arms that is not about to happen soon, nor will it while we still have around 200 Nepalese apply for every single place in British Gurka recruit training.
gjc excellent information mate.......those Gurka regiments are world famous and rightly so.
April 16th, 2004  
Achilles

Reply to cristos,

man are you crazy!!!! that would mean viatnam 2!!!!! I mean, seriuosly ive posted some pretty bad posts myself, but to pull out of iraq and run would be insanity!!!!!

Mod note:Keep it civil about face.
April 16th, 2004  
Achilles

I agree with Mark conely and future ranger, put both of there ideas together and wallah!!! the perfect stategy!!!
April 27th, 2004  
No MERCY

Topic: i say

I say we have tank divisions surround it go in then the next day or 2 send in infantry to take the streets. Then return to camp. From there bob the hell out of it and send both the tamks and infantry, but have helocoter support after the insertion is complete.