:?: What do u think about this Afghanistan analysis

--

May 23rd, 2004  
Carl_von_Clausewtiz

Topic: :?: What do u think about this Afghanistan analysis

Hi all,

im wondering if there are any strategy freaks around here that would like to take a moment to comment on an analysis that i came upon on the site of the non-aligned center for strategic and mlitary analysis. Personally I believe that the author is too anti-american and definitely bias The full text is here http://clik.to/nacams (click the analysis tab and then click on the first analysis about afghanistan). I think the war in afghanistan proved truly to be an amazing acheivement of the American forces - bringing absolutely new kind of warfare on the scene. The author of the analysis seems to be a little obsessed with conspirations and the like and fails to acknowledge the fact that US forces kicked some serious butt out there and did that with as little collateral damage as possible. So if anyone is interested in the matter pls tell me ur take on it
May 23rd, 2004  
Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NACAMS
It is due to that reason that no member of the NACAMS has ever been or is associated with any government or government agency.
I dono if I would trust much of what they say. How ever MS word does not work on my computer, so I can not comment on their work.
May 23rd, 2004  
Carl_von_Clausewtiz

Topic: agree

yeah Razor i thought all that 'non-associated with gov' stuff sounded kinda dodgy as well i'd copy/paste the text in the post but it's kinda long (4-5pages) so i don't know if it'd be appropriate
--
May 23rd, 2004  
RnderSafe

It is my conclusion that these people are completely full of shit. I am even wondering what news they were watching at the start of Operation Enduring Freedom. Granted, I was in Afghanistan and missed most of the nightly reports - but I never once heard of the idea of a new and illustrious war fighting technique. I believe the media went so far as to point out that we would fail due to our over reliance on technology while using the Russians as an example.

Are these 8th grade term papers? Nonetheless, they are good for a chuckle, but not much more.
May 23rd, 2004  
Carl_von_Clausewtiz

yeah the thing is that I sent them an email asking who wrote that stuff (cause the truth is that few of the analysis are very well written while others are just appaling), im sure u can guess the answer i received ' all works in the analysis section were created by NACAMS members, whose identity will not be revealed' wasup wit that $hit
May 23rd, 2004  
RnderSafe

Quote:
' all works in the analysis section were created by NACAMS members, whose identity will not be revealed'
Translation: All works in the analysis section were created by tenured professors and their students whom have absolutely no time in any of the aforementioned AOs, military, or any walk of life that would require them to be more than 5 miles away from a StarBucks and give up their daily intake of iced mochachino and hazelnut biscotti.
May 24th, 2004  
Carl_von_Clausewtiz

Topic: :)

thx for the translation
May 24th, 2004  
Eric

Still...a question remains...
We did kick the Talibans out and took over; We achieved wonderful success during Enduring Freedom BUT, doesn't it look like we did not provide enough to capitalize on the swift and dramatic victory? We really control a couple of major cities and are pretty active on the Pakistanese border but (I was about to say "most") a big part of the country is still out of allied influence and the situation is similar to what the Russians had: only major cities and borders are under control!
If we cannot occupy the conquered land with foot soldiers and all the good thing that follow them (Red cross, NGOs, international help....), do we really control a country?
Illegal gemming is still going on in tribal area, along with Poppy crops....and there is nothing we can really do about it.
Under the Russians, the Afghanis did lived a "revolution": women would go to school, work and drive....
We brought them an interim gov + the draft of a constitution...but that does not make a country!
Where do you guys think this thing is going from now?
Remember Vietnam: they owned the boonies and we owned the cities and fire bases...who was winning the hearts and minds?
May 25th, 2004  
RnderSafe

It was never our intended goal to control the country. The Taliban had to go because they supported Al'Q and were hostile towards us and the NA.
May 25th, 2004  
Eric

Very true....but where do we go from now? we leave and they come back!!!