What penalty should Saddam get?? - Page 2

View Poll Results :What penalty should Saddam get??
Death Penalty! 23 69.70%
Lifetime! 10 30.30%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

--
Boots

December 16th, 2003  
Redneck

Actually that does make a lot of sense, just look at all the face and subsequently the power lost by Arafat when Israel effectively put him under house arrest in his own compound.
But again, I think that the Iraqis should ultimately decide his fate, whatever that may be.
December 17th, 2003  
koesters

Topic: death penalty

Hi im new to tis site and to the army for the matter but i think he should be put to death rather than life in prison. That way we dont have to take the cahnces of him somehow making it out
December 17th, 2003  
diplomatic_means

I am for the death penalty in some cases(don't know which ones), but in Saddam's case I say the death penalty is too good for him. I would much rather see him rot in prison for the rest of his life than be put to a swift end. I bet anything he gets lynched or assassinated sooner or later anyways.
--
Boots
December 26th, 2003  
XARMYSGT

i think he should life withou the chance of parole in a maximum security prison.....i don't want him getting put out of his misery too quickly. i think he needs to suffer as long as his people did.
December 28th, 2003  
Guardsman_Ca

Death with no possibility of Reincarnation.
December 28th, 2003  
Acerbus

Yeah, though the death penalty would be pretty satisfying, it'd only be so in the short term. He ain't his sons, he's actually got some stuff inside his head.

Thorough head-spelunking to get all the intelligence gems that a commander in chief would have is the best thing I can think of. Not to mention what the sentence of just giving him a dreary regular joe schmoe treatment in a prison would do to his image.

He's already hit rock bottom, let's give him the shovel to start digging. Killing him off would be way too simple, much as it'd be fun.

And if we were to kill him, don't do it in such a cruel and destructive measure, that'd give him the opportunity to become a martyr in his reception of his death. Make it something so simple and surgicially humiliating. Like lethal injections.
January 10th, 2004  
SHERMAN

Topic: Sorry....but

I think that somethings can only nbe punished by death...let him hang
January 10th, 2004  
SHERMAN

Topic: Whoops.

O, and i forgot, imagine some whacky terorist group managed to break him out of jail.....do you know what effect that would have????
Israel captured a few big terorist, and i regret that death is not allowed as a sentece here....apart from Nazi war criminals...
January 12th, 2004  
Wingnutz

It now seems that Saddam's status has changed. He is now considered a POW. I don't know how this will play out on who gets to prosecute him. I say he should be handed over to the Iraqi people and let them decide his fate. The only problem with th Iraqi justice system in this matter is that it is so new that there are no precidents set for trial law. Everything would be brand new to the system with holding a trial for him. The court officers in Iraq do not have the experience that other countries have since justice was a very subjective thing under that dictator.

Bottom line is that the Iraqis have the ultimate right to deal with him and we should hand him over to the new government as soon as it is ready and able to deal with him. He may be a POW but he is still answerable for war crimes and crimes against humanity. The only problem is that Iraq has done away with the death penality since it was so abused under his rule. I'm sure they are more than capable of solving this matter on their own as well it should be.

Now Bin Laden is another story and we should be the ones to deal with him as soon as he is captured. I find it ironic that capturing Bin Laden could give us more grief in the long run as we are seeing with what should be done with Saddam. One side of me says it would be better just to kill him outright on sight, which may be his fate, but the other side says that there would be a wealth of information that could be gleaned from his capture.

For the record, I am pro death penalty when the law calls for this kind of punishment. Some say it is not a deterrent, but I beg to differ. No one has ever been a repeat offender who has had this punishment meted out to them.
January 12th, 2004  
Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnutz
No one has ever been a repeat offender who has had this punishment meted out to them.
Hooah, Wingnutz!