What about the Swedish military? - Page 3

--

September 28th, 2004  
Snauhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ
As for defending itīs own territory I believe the Swedish armed forces (as they stand today) would be able to repell a full scale invasion by the Russkies, however that is no longer a viable or realistic threat so that part of this discussion is an oxymoron.
For one the Russian armed forces are in itself a shell of what they once were.

As for Swedish joint missions with different allies:
KFOR, SFOR, ISAF and UNMIL are a few examples of what is cooking right now.
A recent one is ARTEMIS.

The tip of the sword, the operators are as good as they get and although small in numbers they get their missions done. (Or have gotten thus far).

For the kid who thinks Sweden deserves to get invaded.
When your balls drop from your stomach and you have done atleast some conscription service time come see me and Iīll buy you a beer.

If you are an adult and still feel that way, feel free to move to a third world nation of your choosing.
You say people are complaining to much?
Reread your post and think about how it portrays you.

KJ.
I disagree, Sweden would not repel a full scale Russian invasion, its just to small, few tanks , few fighters and too small fleet.
September 28th, 2004  
KJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snauhi

I disagree, Sweden would not repel a full scale Russian invasion, its just to small, few tanks , few fighters and too small fleet.
I havenīt seen too many Ivan Rogovs in the Baltic lately either..

//KJ
September 28th, 2004  
AlexKall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snauhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ
As for defending itīs own territory I believe the Swedish armed forces (as they stand today) would be able to repell a full scale invasion by the Russkies, however that is no longer a viable or realistic threat so that part of this discussion is an oxymoron.
For one the Russian armed forces are in itself a shell of what they once were.

As for Swedish joint missions with different allies:
KFOR, SFOR, ISAF and UNMIL are a few examples of what is cooking right now.
A recent one is ARTEMIS.

The tip of the sword, the operators are as good as they get and although small in numbers they get their missions done. (Or have gotten thus far).

For the kid who thinks Sweden deserves to get invaded.
When your balls drop from your stomach and you have done atleast some conscription service time come see me and Iīll buy you a beer.

If you are an adult and still feel that way, feel free to move to a third world nation of your choosing.
You say people are complaining to much?
Reread your post and think about how it portrays you.

KJ.
Might not repell but it would be able to defend the country for quite a while which all depends on intelligence. The whole idea of conscript army is to educate people that later will be active in a event of war, this standing at around 1.5 milion. The problem is time, it takes around 24 hours to convert the bigger factories to start making weapons (like Volvo, SCA, Saab etc), and takes quite a while to equip all these people.

Tanks are sparse when compared to russian though, only around 200 STRV 122. We would not be able today to fight a large battle unless we mobalice which is the idea.
--
September 28th, 2004  
sunb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ
I still stand by my statement that real COMBAT experience is sparse in these units, while some Teams have plenty of it.

//KJ.
I believe this applies to Denmark, Finland and Norway as well. The scandinavians have experience from missions on the Balkans, Iraq and Afghanistan and of course in Lebanon, but we cannot front the large knowledge and skills found in veteran units in ie USA and the UK (military vise).

What I find interesting is the fact that where ever there are scandinavian soldiers present things calm down quickly and stay that way for a long period of time. It must be something with the scandinavian nature?

What my post wraps into is that the scandinavians have valuable skills in peace keeping missions, but still I guess we'd come off pretty well in a combat situation nevertheless.
October 18th, 2004  
batsman

Topic: AT 4

Dont forget that the AT 4 is from sweden and 500.000 at4 could kill allot of tanks don't you think? So our tanks wouldn't take care of them all
October 18th, 2004  
Big_Z

eric013 "I doubt many of the US infantrymen in Iraq right now exceed that since many are pulled from the reserve and national guard (anyone having served there, feel free to share your views, and I will stand corrected). "

I believe most of the US infantry in Iraq are active duty marines and soldiers. The reserves and NG are the truck drivers and mechanics and so on.
October 18th, 2004  
A Can of Man

I think the runway as airfields is pretty standard with most countries now.
October 19th, 2004  
AlexKall

They usually do land on runways
October 19th, 2004  
rOk

I read somewhere that your commandos in Congo had a turkey shoot while defending UN food supply convoys.
October 19th, 2004  
A Can of Man

I meant highways. ooops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKall
They usually do land on runways