The War on Terror - Page 5

--

October 23rd, 2004  
Doc.S

Yes I think that as long as west are toe flirting and share double bed with the saudies simple people in the west will get killed for big businessmens self interests. The problem has to be engaged from the roots of all evil. SF units in all honour but there can only be as many SF units that our gouverments can upbring. With no more gouverment. No more SF units.

Only a new Taliban Regim out of another and the name on this one is Europe and that is the price for democray and this system we are living in today. As always - People who play in rigged games get stupid because they dont have to perform.

Cheers:
Doc.S

October 23rd, 2004  
Chocobo_Blitzer

I agree, Saudi Arabia is not our friend, no matter how much we need that oil. They're constantly preaching hate!
October 24th, 2004  
USAFAUX2004

you cannot win this war, there will always be those who think they are right and those who are right
--
October 24th, 2004  
egoz

Topic: Re: Keep it simple

After reading a few posts it's become apparent that we need a definition for terrorism, but that varies because there is no clear and concise definition. Instead I will use the FBI definition because everything else is details that only really matters in a court of law to convict someone of the act of terrorism.

The unlawful use of force or violence, committed by a group(s) or two or more individuals, against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives.

I don't plan to turn my post into an Intro to Counter Terrorism, but it seems as if some people are unclear about a few things.

First terrorism is a tactic, it's ALWAYS been around. Every country on the planet has used a form of terrorism be it domestic or international. Yes, the term terrorism began during the "Reign of Terror" of the French Revolution. Also negotiations between terrorists and nations occur, so this "we do not negotiate with terrorists" is a joke. Don't believe me? Look at the IRA and PIRA, same thing, but the Brits negotiated with the IRA for peace. At best all we can do is suppress terrorism and prevent attacks, it is impossible to end terrorism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtenay
You can only negotiate with people who are sane and reasonable. The very designation of "terrorist" should enlighten people to the idea that they cannot be reasoned with!
If terrorists were insane and unreasonable we'd have no chance to even fight this war. The first lesson taught in Counter Terrorism School is that a terrorist is NOT insane or crazy, they are rational thinkers.

As for the current terrorist situations, it is based on relatively recent events. After WW1 and even before it the British had promised land to the Arabs through the Sykes-Picot Agreement, they never forked it over. Later was the Balfour Declaration which said that we could care less about what the Arabs think we're goint to create a Jewish state. "Little" things like that are reason they hate the western world. And since this was brought up, it's no surprise the Brits are our closest allies. They've pissed off so many people through their previous antics (ie Lord Balfour) that if they didn't have us as their best friend everyone would be going after them. So until the Brits find a new best friend that will protect them the way we do, they'll stick by our side through thick and thin.
October 24th, 2004  
USAFAUX2004

egoz got it right, bravo, hats off to you
October 24th, 2004  
Doc.S

Well I did my homework in upper secondary education about Terrorism in Europe and I found out after 100 points that sweden really need to take this terrorism problem out from the wardrobe if they want this country to survive the unavoidable future. Here is a little list of well know organisations working in sweden with our security police locked by the government's inability to make decisions in the issue. They probably think in a longer perspective then I do. If we wait 10 years we will have the advantage and then we can do something about it.
  • GIA

Al-Gamaa al-islamiya

Hamas

Islamish Jihad

Hizbollah

PKK

Heck I dont know if I do the right thing when I collect money for the The Salvation Army or if I should start to collect money for Hamas instead. Hmmm. Dont know what serves my best interests over here in sweden any longer. Maby I should join PLO then my foreign minister would love me.

Cheers:
Doc.S

October 24th, 2004  
Bratwurst

Right, the PKK has bases in Sweden, from which it launches regular attacks on Turkey. Hamas cracks down on Israel with ice cube catapults. When will these horrors end? - Sweden is really a terrorist nest. I can't believe you actually feel safe there, Doc.
October 25th, 2004  
The Doctor

If you're looking at when terror was invented, over 2000 years ago a bloke by the name of Sun Tzu wrote "kill one, terrorize ten thousand"- in The Art Of War.
I guess it's hard to draw a clearly defined line between warfare (guerilla, conventional or whatever) and terrorism these days- and that's regardless of international law. For instance, how many fanatics wear uniforms that identify them as members of Al Qaeda and therefore lawful combatants? Terrorism is a pretty ambiguous definition, whether you apply it to Bin Laden and Zarqawi or to the V2 rockets that Hitler used 60 years ago.
And as for saying that these days 'no government, no matter how dictatorial' would use its soldiers to kill its own people... what about the likes of what happened in Bosnia/Serbia/Kosovo in the last few years, or more recently Sudan, Zimbabwe, Sierra Leone, Rwanda... the list is quite long.
October 25th, 2004  
egoz

i say if they don't want to wear uniforms then fine with me. by not being a uniformed soldier we don't need to abide by the geneva convention when we capture them. why do you think we can hold pows in gitmo without any of that geneva convention junk?
October 25th, 2004  
Doc.S

Well Bratwurst.... For us that thinks.... Well not to safe Im afraid.... I try to avoid all major citys if I can. The closest city to me that was hit by Iranian assasin commandos was Västerås 1990 with a letter bomb, a distance of 80 kilometres from here, but hey.... There are still alot of woods to hide in for me and my family.... My wife is maby the only women in sweden that actualy practice Tai-Kwondo and Karate on her husband, I am probably the only one in the community that can handle a Imperial M-7S. The citys and the villages are their grounds, the forest is something else, maby a team of CNN-Inbeaded journalists will join up behind me when that day comes. They should pray that it never happens.

Cheers:
Doc.S