View of Brits - Page 9

--

June 12th, 2004  
VEK

Topic: Re: ben youre on confused man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalEdge
The US is the BEST the brits are good but they always seem to forget that we won a war with only some farmers and badly trained men..... we won with spirit... i have no problem with you being partiotic but listen when i say that in every major engagment the US has been the deciding factor lets see: WWII, WWI, War of 1812, American revolution, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm..... the list goes on and on...... plus we did beat your butts twice....... the US is simply the best..... and the USMC is the best of the best...... UURAAHHH
methinks you are forgetting the size of our countries. US, pop. 250million, UK, pop. 58million. BIG difference. we done quite well without you in both world wars, and i believe the US army failed in nam? even though they don't like to admit that they were beaten by a bunch of farmers. but, thanks all the same for help in the world wars.

Mod Edit: Image and comment edited for content.
VEK, I suggest you read the Forum rules. Do not let me see another post like this one again or your stay on this forum will be very short.
June 12th, 2004  
C/2nd Lt Robot

Topic: Re: ben youre on confused man

Straight
June 13th, 2004  
bush musketeer

Topic: brits

RULE BRITANNIA and AUSTRALIA
--
June 15th, 2004  
Kirruth

I'd say the real strengths of the British Army are its light infantry, its artillery and its logistics.

Light infantry: It's no exaggeration to say that Britain's freedom has at times depended on the accurate, sustained fire of its riflemen. The modern British infantry with the new SA80A2 individual/light support weapons, and minimi light machine gun (along with decent load-carrying equipment and personal armour, plus effective mortars, anti-tank missiles and heavy machine guns) are in pretty good shape equipment-wise, and their traditions, discipline and training make them very formidable and confident.

Artillery: the British love their guns, and love them even more when they are in the high ground. One of the enduring images of the Falklands or Gulf War 1 was the camouflaged, dug- in 105mm light gun, though the AS90 howitzer and 227mm MLRS (the latter being a Katyusha-style rocket system) do a fine job shooting and scooting - while laying waste to the surrounding region.

Logistics: the unsung heroes of the British Army, who through a combination of planning, execution, heavy lifting and (occasionally) bad language can move anything anywhere whenever, with the help of the RAF and Royal Navy.

The Army is not perfect though. While having great heavy armour in terms of the Challenger 2 MBT and Warrior IFV, the truth is it does need to modernise its lighter armoured vehicles. The British CVR(T) recce vehicles and Saxon battle taxi would struggle against RPG-7 shells. There is also a question of whether, in a time of finite resources, an island nation really needs squadrons of heavy armour. All of this thinking is going into the new FRES project, which is trying to solve the problems of getting a vehicle light enough to fit into a C130J or A400M - or, even better, able to drop out the back while it is still flying - which can resist an RPG-7 hit and transport troops/provide decent fire support.

So infantry, guns and baggage train - good. Cavalry - could do better (maybe).

I am not going to get into American vs Brit comparisons, except to say that all British forces are able to make an excellent cup of tea anywhere (even in a survival situation) whereas, frankly, the Americans can't make tea even in downtown Manhattan. It's the British secret weapon, you understand.

Fun thread.
June 16th, 2004  
SPC_Dminer

Topic: lol

oh man this is better than the soap operas
June 16th, 2004  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirruth
I am not going to get into American vs Brit comparisons, except to say that all British forces are able to make an excellent cup of tea anywhere (even in a survival situation) whereas, frankly, the Americans can't make tea even in downtown Manhattan. It's the British secret weapon, you understand.
But how are the Brits at making Coffee?
June 16th, 2004  
Kirruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1217
But how are the Brits at making Coffee?
Compared to the Americans (and the Dutch)? Put simply: when it comes to coffee, the Brits suck. But hey, that's what allies are for: to complement each others strengths
June 16th, 2004  
Redneck

You haven't lived until you've had cowboy coffee (you know it's done when you can float a horseshoe in it), if only because it will definitely let you know you are alive.
June 16th, 2004  
RnderSafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirruth
I am not going to get into American vs Brit comparisons, except to say that all British forces are able to make an excellent cup of tea anywhere (even in a survival situation) whereas, frankly, the Americans can't make tea even in downtown Manhattan. It's the British secret weapon, you understand
The Brits make horrible tea, though it is the best tea in the world compared to an Americans idea of tea. Now the Irish, we know how to make a cup of tea.
June 17th, 2004  
Kirruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck
You haven't lived until you've had cowboy coffee (you know it's done when you can float a horseshoe in it), if only because it will definitely let you know you are alive.
Though in that case, the living might envy the dead

Officer: Soldier, when was the last time you slept?
Soldier: Sir, 48 hours ago, sir!
Officer: Don't you think you should get some shut eye?
Soldier: As soon as the shakes stop, sir!