View of Brits - Page 2

--

April 11th, 2004  
Redneck

Good points, I don't even want to think of how many threads we've had going here arguing about who was the best at pretty much everything from rapid deployment to peeling potatoes, and it always comes down to that, you can't compare apples and oranges like that.

Welcome to the forum, Sir.
April 11th, 2004  
SHERMAN

Topic: nope

no,no, we are really the best at peeling potatos, we got an award and everything....
April 12th, 2004  
TacticalEdge

Topic: ben youre on confused man

The US is the BEST the brits are good but they always seem to forget that we won a war with only some farmers and badly trained men..... we won with spirit... i have no problem with you being partiotic but listen when i say that in every major engagment the US has been the deciding factor lets see: WWII, WWI, War of 1812, American revolution, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm..... the list goes on and on...... plus we did beat your butts twice....... the US is simply the best..... and the USMC is the best of the best...... UURAAHHH
--
April 12th, 2004  
Redneck

Tone it down, I figure you're just kidding in most of that, but it would be a good idea to establish yourself here before you take the joking too far, ok?
April 12th, 2004  
gjc

I am afraid that you have done little more than confirm a stereotype, tacticaledge. I am not about to get drawn into a slagging match, but I will thank you for illustrating my point about some sections of the US military having difficulties thinking outside the box.
April 12th, 2004  
Ben

what reg gjc?
April 12th, 2004  
gjc

1 D and D
April 12th, 2004  
Ben

ah, had a lecture from a Capt. in the Dorsets two weeks ago up in Warminster on a PIOFV - shaved head, quite small but i can't remeber the name - he loves going out on the lash though (but name an officer that doesn't)
April 12th, 2004  
Doppleganger

Bah :P

It's very hard to answer this question without being biased. I'm British and I know we have a very good army, especially in infantry. Am I being biased? I don't believe so. Our basic infantry training is some of the most demanding in the world and that doesn't even get into what you have to go through to become a Royal Marine and so forth.

TacticalEdge, nothing wrong in being patriotic but you're completely biased although I guess you're not afraid to hide it

Anyway, I don't believe you can say one army is the best these days. It depends on the situation. For example, during the cold war it was interesting to note which divisions of the Nato Alliance made up the bulk of the of the forces that overlooked the Fulda Gap and where the Soviet 3rd Shock Army would swarm over in the event of WW3. They tasked that to the Panzer divisions of the Bundeswehr, who unofficially as I heard from various people where the best units Nato had in that situation, i.e. mobile armoured warfare.

I heard this from some BAOR officers and it was also backed up by a BBC documentary on NATO units in Germany.
April 12th, 2004  
gjc

BAOR? The Fulda Gap? 3rd Shock Army? My dear Doppleganger, you are in dnager of showing your age!!