View of Brits - Page 12

--

July 7th, 2004  
Young Winston

When the "chips are down" and the Brits have had there backs to the wall, boy they can be tough.

eg German offensive of March 1918 smashed the British 5th Army initially but the Brits slogged it out until the Germans ran out of steam.
July 7th, 2004  
Italian Guy

1. God save our gracious Queen,
Long live our noble Queen,
God save the Queen!
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us;
God save the Queen!

2. O Lord our God arise,
Scatter her enemies
And make them fall;
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On Thee our hopes we fix,
God save us all!

3. Thy choicest gifts in store
On her be pleased to pour;
Long may she reign;
May she defend our laws,
And ever give us cause
To sing with heart and voice,
God save the Queen!
4. Not in this land alone,
But be God's mercies known,
From shore to shore!
Lord make the nations see,
That men should brothers be,
And form one family,
The wide world over.

5. From every latent foe,
From the assassins blow,
God save the Queen!
O'er her thine arm extend,
For Britain's sake defend,
Our mother, prince, and friend,
God save the Queen!

6. Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush.
God save the King!
July 7th, 2004  
Shadowalker

Our troops dont sit around a table praising themselfs swearing they are the greatest soldiers that have ever lived.

Hollywood does that for you! Sorry if this offends but hollywood does annoy me when americans are shown winning the war single handardly, but admittedly in the 50's british films about the war gave no credit to the americans,!

As a brit i will agree with aussiejohn as in WW1, WW2 and the napoleonic wars we were basically alone for long periods of time espacially the napoleonic wars where we bankrolled our allies and in WW2 where until the americans joined (which i am eternally grateful for) we were alone!
--
July 7th, 2004  
Sgt Lou

Our elder brothers the Royal Marines are cocky, but they always back it up. I respect all of the ones I trained with. They are the hardest trained gentlemen that I've ever met, so they handle all situations with the best of proffessionalism.

Good advice, don't get into drinking contests with them. . . . . they don't have blood, they have nothing but Guinness in them. . . . solid alcohol in their veins.
July 8th, 2004  
pugs

Topic: Hello to everybody

Just like to introduce myself and say hello.

Interesting debate and one that has been hotly debated many a time in the NAAFI bar. However I shall refrain from expressing views except for one

No one here on this board should slander any vets that fought and died in WW1 or WW2 or any other war. As an ex serviceman I would never ever speak of the dead in such a way...be it Russian, USA, Brit, German etc. They were all servicemen/women.

Itís politicians who start wars, we just gotta go and finish it!

Pugs
July 8th, 2004  
Fix bayonets

No mean to be big headed but I think the British army is one of the best in the world, we are the one of the smallest countries in the world and everyone respects the British army also we are one of the few armies who has its old regiments and traditions from the days of Marlbrough still in the army.

Throughout history there has been gallant and heroic deeds performed by individuals and regiment.

In most wars at one time or another we have been outnumbered but we have still won those wars with a few exceptions.

Britain is a proud nation ho will if necessary (in my opinion) defend its self and its freedom alone if it has to but it will still fight.
July 8th, 2004  
Shadowalker

Im just sad that all recent governments have done a disservice to our soldiers by cutting down on necessary equipment, providing them with inadequate equipment, and providing them with faulty equipment! The rot doesnt seem likely to end soon either!
July 8th, 2004  
England Expects (RAF Cdt)

Sky Walker, losses of 7000 from the RAF, a dozen bases, loss of our Jaguar aircraft, 3000 personnel from the RN, 6 surface warships, 2 submarines and the loss of heavy equipment from the army to be replaced by light attack vehicles, this is what Labour is planning within the next few years. The MPs don't like it but Brown won't give the MOD any more money and if he did, it would probably be wasted on the far too expensive Euro Fighter contract. These cuts will reduce our ability to fight wars and even to protect our own lands, no longer will Britannia Rule the Waves, instead we will be reduced to a mere second rate military power.
July 8th, 2004  
Shadowalker

the governent is looking to the US to provide the equipment now! the cuts will be reducing our forces down to the levels of a second rate military countries! i dont see how they expect to be able to send our troops around the world to fight there wars when they are making the forces even smaller! if there are any more major wars i cant see how we can send any creditable force!
July 10th, 2004  
Young Winston

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker
the governent is looking to the US to provide the equipment now! the cuts will be reducing our forces down to the levels of a second rate military countries! i dont see how they expect to be able to send our troops around the world to fight there wars when they are making the forces even smaller! if there are any more major wars i cant see how we can send any creditable force!
Don't worry,

The Brits should do what the Australian Government does by keeping very cosy with George W.