"No One Left Behind" - Page 2

--

January 17th, 2013  
Capt Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEnfield
If a chap is dead then we could see little point in losing more life's just to bring the body back. What ever happened to that body it could never harm him any more, but to lose another half a dozen men just to bring a body back is a no brainer, you either value life or you don't.
Unless you're in the Royal Marines.

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/Dram...&1358426687314
January 17th, 2013  
brinktk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Frogman
Unless you're in the Royal Marines.

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/Dram...&1358426687314
Agreed. Soldiers are not cattle. It gives an edge on the battlefield if you know your men are not going to leave you to the enemy. I will do whatever it takes to get my dead and wounded home. I expect the same from my men. Leave NOTHING for the enemy to post on the internet or Al Jazeera.
January 17th, 2013  
Capt Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinktk
Agreed. Soldiers are not cattle. It gives an edge on the battlefield if you know your men are not going to leave you to the enemy. I will do whatever it takes to get my dead and wounded home. I expect the same from my men. Leave NOTHING for the enemy to post on the internet or Al Jazeera.
My thoughts exactly.

As a troop leader, I wouldn't have been doing my job properly if I left anyone behind. We arrive together and we leave together. Anything less is a failure and failure isn't an option.
--
January 17th, 2013  
LeEnfield

The Chindits in WW2 if they were badly wounded they would be left behind in the jungle with a bit of food some water and a loaded revoler.
January 18th, 2013  
brinktk

Easy to say. MUCH harder to do. It's a matter of respect for the soldier themselves and their families. It's just not something I'm willing to do. What kind of leader would I be if I left my men to their fate while at the same time preaching teamwork, brotherhood, and undying loyalty?

You might be able to live with it. I simply cannot. It's just not he way we operate. Perhaps it was different in the British paras of your time. I'll stick with the warrior ethos of my army..."I will always place the mission first, I will never accept defeat, I will never quit, I WILL NEVER LEAVE A FALLEN COMRADE" That's all I have to say about this subject.
January 18th, 2013  
lolwhassup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT G
There is a much simpler place that this can be found now days. I know this is not as old as the Ranger Creed, but it does hold very special meening to every soldier and is instilled in them from the first day they reach Basic Combat Training:
The Soldier's Creed
I am an American Soldier.
I am a warrior and a member of a team.
I serve the people of the United States, and live the Army Values.
I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.
I am disciplined, physically and mentally tough, trained and proficient in my warrior tasks and drills.
I always maintain my arms, my equipment and myself.
I am an expert and I am a professional.
I stand ready to deploy, engage, and destroy, the enemies of the United States of America in close combat.
I am a guardian of freedom and the American way of life.
I am an American Soldier
I wanted to make sure this made it into the discussion because it is something that every soldier serving in the Army today knows and lives by.
HOOAH SGT
January 18th, 2013  
headwards

Situation dictates, if your corpse was going to get one of your mates killed im sure you would choose for them to get out.
January 18th, 2013  
84RFK

Quote:
The Chindits in WW2 if they were badly wounded they would be left behind in the jungle with a bit of food some water and a loaded revoler.
And what other choice did they have, the chance of a medevac was nil, next dressing station in India, and the Japs often too close behind in the tracks...
January 18th, 2013  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Some badly wounded Chindits were actually shot by their own medics, to stop them falling into the hands of the Japanese to be abused and tortured.

It's not something I could do, even though I stopped the man's pain and suffering.
January 18th, 2013  
LeEnfield

I knew soldiers from WW1 who would go into no mans land and shoot theie badly wounded mates to put them out of their suffering. Most men would die if they were badly wounded. If you moved them they would scream in agony and you would come under a hail of machine gun fire as both sides used the wounded to bring more troops to try and recover the injured which then gave them more targets.